your Mustang is fast?

just watched a video taken at Bonneville, UT. The car was the Speed Demon, and there were three runs. The slowest had an exit speed (seven miles?) of 471 mph! The fastest was 481mph, and looked like he shut down a tad early. Now that's a single engined wheel driven car that uses a 557 cu. in. Chevy big block. No two or four engines here, and best of all; not jet engine (they don't count anyway for an FIA certified record)\

gary

1 hour ago, KenM said:

the evolution of the Speed Demon is really interesting, and some fantastic engineering to boot. The original car started out with a Ford flat head V8 engine that used the intake system as the exhaust. That concept is now banned, but they can't take that record away. It'll stand up for ever. They then recieved a borrowed Dodge 4 cylinder engine similar the the one that rules the midget oval track. He somehow became sole owner of the engine. But not before he completely destroyed two more records with a Baracuda. GM built a car to compete, and there was one from Germany and one from Japan. The GM car on paper looked best, but never made a speed attempt as it was over 30mph slower. The others stayed in the trailers. The following year he puts the four cylinder in the Speed Demon, and simply blows the record into orbit. But the real insult was he won the trophy for the fastest car that year (either 399 or 406mph) om 156 cu. in.!! He did get the car up to 417mph before finally destroying the motor. He then installed a 122 cu. in version to go after a record set by Honda with a Formula One ten or twelve cylinder engine. He did it but not by a big margin (said the salt surface was really getting bad and the winds messed him up). Following year he installs a Chevy V8 of 347 cu.in. , and several more years was the fastest car at Bonneville. Then he crashed the car real bad, so he replaced it with something very similar. This year, he broke 400mph during testing to make sure the car would go strait. Did 470+ several times (average speed for 7 miles). 

gary

Imagine that, referring to an airplane on a model airplane forum.  :smiley-transport007:  LOL!  :rofl:

Yea, I've seen all the speed stuff for the Mustangs.  My boys were bugging me to put a blower on it.  Nope, been there, done that in my younger days.  Not dropping another $10K on a toy.  I just don't need 700+ HP to get to work.  Hell, I have a resto-mod '66 GT Fastback sitting in my garage about 98% done.  Can't get off my butt and finish the last 2%.  :sleeping:

And then there is the Treit and Davenport Target 550 they're shooting for 550 but it's been a bumpy road https://www.target550.com/#build Tey are currently in Australia a little better lake condition. On an interesting note Marlo Treit owned a number of Mig-21's and Iv'e bumped into Les Davenport years ago Drag racing,

Ken