CD48198 - 1/48 A-10 Thunderbolt - The Early Years

On 10/28/2020 at 5:49 AM, Dutch said:

Ooorah!  What's the base kit, Kursad?  Tamiya, ESCI, Revell, or Monogram?  

I am pretty sure the Tamiya one is more prototype than production as you listed. Isn't the Monogram a production model? Okay maybe still early as it does not have the lumps and bumps of the current version I believe. I built the first release of the Tamiya kit and had to add some bump on the nose. I liked the kit.

Also I think most of the marking will fit any of these except maybe the sharkmouth of 23 TFW or the Warthog.

On 10/29/2020 at 9:48 AM, skyhawk174 said:

I am pretty sure the Tamiya one is more prototype than production as you listed. Isn't the Monogram a production model? Okay maybe still early as it does not have the lumps and bumps of the current version I believe. I built the first release of the Tamiya kit and had to add some bump on the nose. I liked the kit.

Also I think most of the marking will fit any of these except maybe the sharkmouth of 23 TFW or the Warthog.

Thanks!  I was leaning towards the Tamiya kit for an early A-10 (20mm M61 nose cannon).  I built the Revell #4516 SOOTB circa 1984 in Euro One colors for a Air Force roommate in college.  In fact, I think it was one of the first kits on which I used my new Badger airbrush.  K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
On 10/29/2020 at 9:22 AM, Dutch said:

Thanks!  I was leaning towards the Tamiya kit for an early A-10 (20mm M61 nose cannon).  I built the Revell one SOOTB circa 1984 in Euro One colors for a Air Force roommate in college.  K/r, Dutch

Wow you the man Dutch. I had the Revell kit, I think it was in the JAWS scheme on the box. Never did finish it. Something about it bugged me. Maybe it was the plastic?

• 2 years later...

I see that this sheet is being released in April. Will it be released in 1/72 at some point in the future? The Matchbox kit is a good representation of the first two prototypes (71-1369 and -1370). The tailfins need to be reshaped and an air data boom needs to be added too but other than that, externally, it looks good to go. The cockpit might be a different story, however 😬.  I'm sure there are other kits in this scale that will allow early-production A-10s to be built too. 👍

LD.

Saw this sheet announced and thrilled.  Way back when the A-10 was the new toy (as was the F-16 and F-15) I was able to drive up to Nellis AFB to photograph the A-10 JAWS aircraft.  They had three of the aircraft on the ramp for me and work stands so that I could climb up on the aircraft and photograph the top etc.  The photos I then sent to Dana Bell who was working on an IPMS article.  I should have kept a dup set of the slides!  Then when I got the IPMS article from Dana I did the artwork for the early A-10 decal for Microscale.  Which until now I think was the only decal to depict the JAWS and several of the early development aircraft with nose art.  Can't wait for this one  

Wait - the early aircraft had nose art? This I have got to see - I will check out the Microscale sheet. Does anyone have a link to the IPMS article? I will definitely scale it down to 1/72 as soon as possible, it just will not happen in April because of the cost of the multi-sheet B-52 set.

@KursadA The Microscale sheet 72-313 featured the early prototype YA-10s and OT&E A-10A aircraft with the various different grey "mask" schemes applied, as well as the dark & light JAWS aircraft and early deployment wings (DM, MB, & WR). I remember that two of the AFSC early test schemes featured noseart with a turkey holding a GAU-8 (73-1665) and a "Charlie the Tuna" holding a GAU-8 (73-1666); there were others, a bulldog I think.  The oldish Detail & Scale Color & Markings series on the A-10, C&M Vol.24 has lots of photos of the early test schemes.  Two of the AFSC aircraft also featured Int'l orange flight control surfaces on the tail and wingtips.

MS_72-313_a.JPG.21ae7aeb1545589f5f98cd3d2be4d13a.JPG

MS_72-313_c.JPG.94567b79c5ee51b7a76d1b4cbf7ed835.JPG

MS_72-313_b.JPG.27f87f30adfbe64f68e2a750cacf1906.JPG

Edited by Dutch

Dutch is showing the 72nd scale sheet, the 48th scale sheet was 48-69.  I do have Dana's Pro-Fly, let me see what I can do about digging it out.  Might have some slides of the early test and evaluation birds too, but not sure about that anymore.   These sheets are so long gone and these schemes have been largely forgotten.  That's why I am so excited about you doing the early birds  

Dutch fully agree!  I was thinking about this today because of these post, and realized that the Micro Scale 48th scale decal was issued in 1978 or 79 making it 45 years old.  It was produced using by todays standard pre-historic artwork and printing.  But more to the point, most modeler today in their 40's and 50's have no idea about the color scheme experimentation or trails the A-10 went through, and these markings and the upcoming Caracal Decal should prove mind boggling.  Hard to believe the A-10 is fifty.  BTW, the 72nd sheet your showed was news to me, it was produced off the artwork of the 48th scale sheet, and was done after I had departed Microscale.  The Dana Bell Pri Fly I am copying and will send a copy to Kursad.  If you want Dutch, I'll send a copy your way as well.   

16 minutes ago, Paul Boyer said:

Harder to believe the Eagle is 51 years old now. And that the Tomcats are all museum pieces - first flew in 1970! Getting old sucks!

Going by first flights:

F-35 is already 16+ years old.

F-22 is 25+ years old.

B-2 is 33+ years old.

F-16 is 46+ years old.

And I'm older than the F-106......  ☹️

8 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

Harder to believe the Eagle is 51 years old now. And that the Tomcats are all museum pieces - first flew in 1970! Getting old sucks!

No Paul, getting old doesn't suck, but it ain't for sissies! 

Edited by Dutch
10 hours ago, habu2 said:

And I'm older than the F-106......  ☹️

@habu2  As my former B-52G pilot co-worker used to say, "We (him & the BUFF) have both grown old, gray and overweight together."  I told him that he wasn't overweight, just under powered! 😆

Edited by Dutch

Here is a link to truck load of photos of 71-1369, including cockpit photos, as well as some photos of 31665 fitted with an air data boom. I'd guess these are all Fairchild company pics.

https://cdm16694.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p16694coll109/search/searchterm/Republic YA-10/page/1

I hope this is of interest.

LD.

Kursad, if it's noseart you are looking for, try this link.  Too many to pick a favorite!  Some with some pretty impressive mission / kill markings as well.

On second thought, I do have a favorite: A-10A 78-0599 "Bird of Prey" flown by Captain Jeff "Grass" Gingras, 355th TFS, 354th TFW "Falcons", tail code "MB" from Myrtle Beach AFB, SC at King Fahd Airport, Saudi Arabia circa 1990-91.

Grass and I worked together during 2010-2011.  He told me a story of his early years in Myrtle Beach. At a bar once, an attractive young female professional (lawyer or accountant, I forget) asked him what his occupation was, he cooly responded, "I'm a heavy equipment operator. I move a lot of dirt!"  (I love those lines!)  She immediately turned around and ignored him to her great loss.  I'd love to model his aircraft for him. I have the Hasegawa 1/72 kit waiting.

Edited by Dutch
1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Kursad, if it's noseart you are looking for, try this link.  Too many to pick a favorite!  Some with some pretty impressive mission / kill markings as well.

On second thought, I do have a favorite: A-10A 78-0599 "Bird of Prey" flown by Captain Jeff "Grass" Gingras, 355th TFS, 354th TFW "Falcons", tail code "MB" from Myrtle Beach AFB, SC at King Fahd Airport, Saudi Arabia circa 1990-91.

Grass and I worked together during 2010-2011.  He told me a story of his early years in Myrtle Beach. At a bar once, an attractive young female professional (lawyer or accountant, I forget) asked him what his occupation was, he cooly responded, "I'm a heavy equipment operator. I move a lot of dirt!"  She immediately turned around an ignored him to her great loss.  I'd love to model his aircraft for him. I have the Hasegawa 1/72 kit waiting.

Hi Dutch, I was referring to prototypes snd very early A-10s during the fiirst years of their service. I already did a very colorful Cold War A-10 sheet (CD48192 and CD72112) with several examples of nose art , which happen to include markings for “Bird of Prey”.

Maybe this will help, cut from an old Koku-Fan. Air Combat magazine did a couple articles on early A-10 camo by none other than Dana Bell, in 1972. I can send some scans. Been looking forward to something like this for years so I can put the Micro Scale sheet to pasture. 

IMG_0836.JPEG

Edited by Curt