CD48198 - 1/48 A-10 Thunderbolt - The Early Years

Curt, nice find!  According to the D&S Color & Markings book by Dana Bell, the very early test aircraft were painted overall in either flat black or flat dark grey, then were oversprayed with white or lighter shades of gray to get the 30%/40%/50%/60% mask effect.  I don't have the book in front of me, but will quote it correctly later. 

Edited by Dutch
  • 3 weeks later...

The early Tamiya A-10a kit is based off the pre-production A-10s plus first four A-10s serial numbers 75-258 thru 75-262 I believe.  The kit has the longer flap tracks that extend past the trailing edge of the wings.  The kit has escapac ejection seat and lacks the chaff pods under the wings and sponsons.  It also has the 30mm cannon not the 20 mm cannon.  To do a prototype 11369 and 11370 you will need to do a lot of mods.  The tails, profile of the nose, wheel sponsons, fuselage panels and scoops, shortening the wings, and adding the 20 mm gun will be required.  If you want to do a really early prototype you will also need to remove the wing fillets to fuselage.  I think the inboard slates will need attention as well.

Agreed - building 11369 and 11370 are not for the faint of the heart and will require a lot of modifications to the kit. With this decal sheet, at least the decals will cease to be a obstacle though. The sheet will also have markings for many different early production/development aircraft that could be built with relatively easier modifications to the existing kits.

Coming soon in 1/48, and 1/72 a month later. 18 options in this one including the prototype and most documented early production jets, multiple "JAWS" camouflage trial jets and a few early service examples.

cd48198.jpg cd48198b.jpg

Edited by KursadA
  • 4 weeks later...

This sheet is actually happening?!? Woohoo!!!!!!!! For those that want to do a YA-10, I did an article in FSM a couple years ago. That was in 1/72 scale. I'll be trying it again in 1/48 scale. I'm starting with the ESCI kit, as the canopy looks more like the YA-10. Other things that must be done are reshaping the lower leading edge of the tails and getting rid of the wing fillet. That's the biggest obstacle. But an A-10 in ADC Gray? How can you pass that up?

10 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

This sheet is actually happening?!? Woohoo!!!!!!!! For those that want to do a YA-10, I did an article in FSM a couple years ago.

Pop quiz. Do you recall the issue date?

• 5 months later...

For those who don’t know, the A-10 had a lot of problems in early testing of the gun, the engines were ingesting the gun muzzle exhaust and IIRC stalling the engines. Lots of different aero solutions were tried on the nose to resolve the issue.