CD48196 - 1/48 US Navy A-1H/J Skyraider

https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/skyraiders-torpedo-the-hwachon-dam/

I do know that 503 and 506 were two of the 5 from VA-195 which dropped torpedoes during the raid.  And I'm pretty sure that 502 (Bu. no. 128986) and 515 (Bu. no. 128947) were also part of the raid.  No idea on the 5th Skyraider from VA-195, but the squadron CO was on the raid, so quite possibly the squadron CO.  There were also three AD-4N Skyraiders from VC-35 carrying torpedoes on the raid.  They were from Det. 3, and their tailcode was NR.  The CAG also flew one of the Skyraiders.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Folks, do you think I should include decals for an AD-5W from the Vietnam War period? What are the current options to build an AD-5W?

To simplify the design I would like to stay on the Vietnam theme and make this a Navy companion to the USAF Vietnam Skyraider sheet. I don't want to include decals for yet another VA-176 bee option (it has been covered by every other decal company already), so I am thinking about doing something different.

I’d love markings for an AD-5W!  In 1/48 the options are somewhat limited though.  Kit bashing the AMT/ESCI AD-4W with the Matchbox AD-5,  combining various conversions, also, at one time Steel Beach may have released an AD-5W conversion.

there are more options in 1/72.  I think there also was a Fisher conversion in 1/32.

• 3 weeks later...

I have not been able to find photos of Dengler's aircraft apart from movie stills and a couple partial shots - so I am curious where some of the details in the existing decals and drawings come from? Specifically I am trying to find out whether the aircraft had a carrier name painted on it, and details of the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club emblem it might have carried (there are several variations of this depending on the unit, carrier, and time period

Even though I said I did not want to do yet another "bumblebee" decal, it looks like no Vietnam Navy A-1 sheet would be complete without one of the aircraft in the MiG-killing Papoose flight. I'd rather not do 409, which has been covered in many sheets including the Tamiya sheet. Which one should I feature on the sheet?

Currently, my intention is to cover:

• VA-145 (Dieter Dengler's A-1) from USS Ranger
  • VA-152
  • VA-165
  • VA-196
  • VA-115
  • VA-25
  • VA-52
  • VA-176 (Papoose flight)
  • at least one EA-1F, probably from VAW-33
  • 3 months later...

Kursad, understand that the lightning bolt on VA-176 bumblebee design should be red-orange, not red. More like "International Orange" would be right. When Cutting Edge did the 1/72 scale sheet I used on my model, the orange was more of a pumpkin orange, a bit too light for me. Orange would be the correct trim color for many carrier squadrons with the 4xx nose numbers. Hope you can confirm this before going to print. Thanks!

DSCN0149.JPG

Too late for that - it went to print two months ago, and was printed some weeks before.

In the very few color Vietnam War period photos I have, the color is almost indistinguishable from the red in the national insignia, so I am comfortable with the red color I chose.

Edited by KursadA
16 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Is the VA-145 aircraft that of LT Dieter Dengler by chance? BTW, I like that you provided the option to paint the green fuselage band! 👍

Yes - I thought some folks might want to paint the band themselves, as there are multiple kits in the market. Did you have any concerns about the color?

5 hours ago, KursadA said:

Did you have any concerns about the color?

Oh no, not at all, looks good from here. But I like to paint any fuselage bands if I can. Anytime you're trying to join two stripes at a center point it can be a hassle...and I'm one of the rare modelers who actually enjoys decaling!

Pushing the Mohawk sheet to April means I will probably be able to offer this in May - but the decals are here and I am sure you will like them. Judging by the demand for the USAF Skyraider sheet I just released, this should be very popular.

I think I might have gotten some of the details right for the first time on a decal sheet - others seem to have "winged it" when it came to some of the details like the exact shape of the griffin, exact typeface used on the RESCUE markings during the early period, and a host of other things. The "battle E" with the fist that we had discussed earlier is here, too.

navyspad1.jpg

navyspad2.jpg

navyspad3.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Navy A-1 sheet is coming in the next batch of releases. The options on this sheet are:

• A-1 BuNo 142031,  VA-145 , USS Ranger 
  • A-1 BuNo 135326,  VA-176, USS Intrepid  
  • A-1 BuNo 142070 "North Vietnamese Crop Duster",  VA-25, USS Coral Sea
  • A-1 BuNo 135294,  VA-25, USS Midway  
  • A-1 BuNo 142051,  VA-152, USS Oriskany  
  • A-1 BuNo 134570,  VA-52, USS Ticonderoga  
  • A-1 BuNo 142059 "Puff the Magic Dragon",  VA-165, USS Intrepid   
  • A-1 BuNo 139755,  VA-196 , USS Bon Homme Richard
  • A-1 BuNo 139731,  VA-115, USS Kitty Hawk
  • EA-1F BuNo. 132591, VAW-33  (not shown)  

cd48196profiles1.jpg

cd48196profiles2.jpg

Edited by KursadA
  • 1 year later...