1/48 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 & MiG-15bis "Fagot" by Bronco Models - released - Hobby 2000 boxing LIM-1/-2 & S-102/-103

1 hour ago, Flankerman said:

I can't comment on the kit - but here's a photo of the real thing - wot I took in 2010..........

day01_004.jpg.c123cc66ab3245325a7e9c04be29f4ae.jpg

These Chinese war museums used to treat exhibits very rudely. Many machines were damaged, tampered with by outsiders, and even thrown into the garbage can. So their reference value is very limited.

The mosquito was thrown outside until it rotted and discarded.

Many aircraft are “repaired” in this way: randomly find several workers, throw them a roll of aluminum, and then time for free creation.

Edited by 94Lipo
  • HomeBe changed the title to 1/48 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 "Fagot" by Bronco Models - released

Hi Ken,

Good to see you around!!!

That particular "079" looks more like an early MiG-15 and not the MiG-15bis version.

I remembered to have seen somewhere photos of it, so it is from you! : )   : )

Do you have a photo where the tail end is visible as to small or large airbrakes are there on this airframe which would make the ID positive.

Stay safe!!!

Best regards

Gabor

Yep it is an early MiG-15 with RD-45 engine with small tail, small airbrakes . . .

It is very much different from the later version the MiG-15bis!

OK one can say that this "079" decal in this kit is not appropriate for this plastic (mainly MiG-15 bis) and one can get some aftermarket decals for a late "bis" version.

Best regards

Gabor

On 10/27/2020 at 1:56 PM, Dave Williams said:

Will be interesting to see how this compares to the Tamiya kit.  Hopefully easier to assemble than their 1/35 armor kits, which have a bunch of parts to deal with.

I thought the Tamiya kit was messed up pretty badly. 

glt

Wow !! - what a change to the museum since I was last there in 2013 :- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/mos2013_day07.html

(scroll down about halfway).

In 2013 most of the exhibits were outside and the museum was shrouded in scaffolding.

Looking at 94lipo's photos it has had a major makeover - and in the 4th image it looks like the nose of a Harbin H6.

Is that new 94Lipo ?? - it wasn't there when I last visited....

My pics from a previous visit in 2010 are here:- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/china2010_day01.html

Ken

• HomeBe changed the title to 1/48 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 & MiG-15bis "Fagot" by Bronco Models - released
1 hour ago, HomeBe said:
1 hour ago, HomeBe said:

201109041034982620.jpg

20110904044585992.jpg

V.P.

It must be a problem with my eyesight. Only my problem, but does anyone else see anywhere on that decal sheet the decal for the instrument panel referred to in the instruction sheet as 3 to be placed on Part C18??

I know that the problem is with me, please tell me I am wrong in this!

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
3 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

It must be a problem with my eyesight. Only my problem, but does anyone else see anywhere on that decal sheet the decal for the instrument panel referred to in the instruction sheet as 3 to be placed on Part C18??

They're two decals sheets in the box ref.FB4014. The instrument panel is on sheet FB4014-A and not on the FB4014-B

I suppose the original limited boxing for The Military Museum of The Chinese People’s Revolution proposes only the 079/r scheme though two decals sheets. 

20110904044585992.jpg 201109120627182087.jpg 20201109195725-10928.jpg

I've the feeling Quinta (link) or Red Fox Studio (link) will soon or later propose a 3D cockpit polymerized vinyl decals set for this kit.

V.P.

Edited by HomeBe

Few more comments after a quick glance at the instruction sheet.

There are some mistakes like the cockpit side panels which are interchanged. This should be fairly easy to correct in print while kit builders should make a note of this to get parts right.

bpUhmcA.jpg

What is certain if someone wants to build a second generation MiG-15 bis version then he is in luck! Parts are there to make it.

There are some panels visible which are specific like to Chinese versions and there is a strange panel on top not visible on real aircraft. But they are simple to correct by filling and sanding.

For the early “simple” early MiG-15 there are problems apart from the smaller airbrakes the whole back end was different. Shape, panels as well as those big glass parts covering the ARK and MRP antennas. They were simply not present on early versions.

This means that we still don’t have a correct 48 scale version of the early MiG-15.   : (    : (

DRbcnNp.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, HomeBe said:

My guess they're two decals sheets in the box. The instrument panel is on sheet FB4014-A (no picture - see instructions for bort 079/red) and not on the illustrated sheet FB4014-B

I suppose the original limited boxing for The Military Museum of The Chinese People’s Revolution proposes only the 079/r scheme though two decals sheets. 

20110904044585992.jpg 201109120627182087.jpg

I've the feeling Quinta (link) or Red Fox Studio (link) will soon or later propose a 3D cockpit polymerized vinyl decals set for this kit.

V.P.

You could be right on this. I can go by only what I see. That decal did not have the instrument panel while there is space there for it, but they at Bronco know what they are doing I expect.

Quinta decals are good but they add a lot to the overall final price of a kit build. 

Best regards

Gabor

43 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I feel that we’re approaching AMK Tomcat levels of red penmanship in this thread.

Yes, you are absolutely right!!! There should be no comment at all even if simple cockpit side panels are mixed up by the manufacturer in instructions or parts which should not be used or filled are pointed out to those who dont know much about a particular a/c version. 

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

You could be right on this. I can go by only what I see. That decal did not have the instrument panel while there is space there for it, but they at Bronco know what they are doing I expect.

Decals sheet A FB4014-A 

20201109195725-10928.jpg

20201109210017-78197.jpg

V.P.

Edited by HomeBe

Thanks HomeBe!

At least we have this! 

Since it was not shown in the original post, the only thing I could go by was the other decal shown there which obviously did not have the instrument panel. 

Now the only thing some aftermarket will have to make is a full stencil sheet in 48th, of course unless there is also a FB-4014-C decal also somewhere there!  : )  : )   : )   : ) which was not shown till now. 

Thanks again!

Best regards

Gabor

I believe people did not really understand what I was saying here. The “problem” with the wing to fuselage root double curve is not a fatal error. It is a mistake but this does not make the kit unbuildable. Actually the same problem was on the Trump kit as I have found out from other modellers.

The wing root and the adjacent wing surface area is a very difficult design from CAD point of view and this was shown by Airfix with the MiG-17 kit. One has to translate surface curves into mathematical/geometrical language on CAD surfaces. Not an easy one.

Actually even Eduard had a problem with this on the 72 nd scale kit. Not on the top but on the underside. The flap has a strange break near the root, while on the real aircraft it is a perfectly flat surface. So it is not easy in today’s world with CAD design! It was far easier when a master wooden part was carved in bigger scale and transformed into the real 72 or 48 scale mould tool.

The only real problem with the Bronco kit is the fact that the same fuselage is given for both the early MiG-15 and second generation MiG-15 bis. The tail section of the early fighter (lots of them took part in that Korean conflict) is completely different and not only the obvious smaller airbrake (which is made in this kit).

If you want to do a late MiG-15bis the kit is going to be more than adequate! If one has a closer look it has some very nice and delicate details added like in the cockpit or on tyres!

Best regards

Gabor

One thing that has always puzzled me is the cutout in the inner wing fence.....

I used to think it was so that the pilot could see the undercarriage down indicator - until I took these two photos at Xiaotangshan in 2013......

.... which clearly shows that the U/C spigot is not in line with the pilot's line-of-sight.

Is there also a 'flaps down' spigot as well?? - that would line up with the cutout...

Ken

MiG-15_wing_cutout_02.jpg

Edited by Flankerman
  • HomeBe changed the title to 1/48 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 & MiG-15bis "Fagot" by Bronco Models - released - Hobby 2000 boxing LIM-1/-2 & S-102/-103