1/48 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 & MiG-15bis "Fagot" by Bronco Models - released - Hobby 2000 boxing LIM-1/-2 & S-102/-103

12 hours ago, Flankerman said:

One thing that has always puzzled me is the cutout in the inner wing fence.....

I used to think it was so that the pilot could see the undercarriage down indicator - until I took these two photos at Xiaotangshan in 2013......

.... which clearly shows that the U/C spigot is not in line with the pilot's line-of-sight.

Is there also a 'flaps down' spigot as well?? - that would line up with the cutout...

Ken

MiG-15_wing_cutout_02.jpg

Hi Ken,

Yes it is for the "Soldier" or spigot as you say for the flap. It was introduced late in production so you have it only / mainly on late production examples.

To test the theory I sat into the cockpit and looked out to the left and back. Only with the cut out in the inner wing fence can the pilot see the Flap Down indicator "Soldier".

Those Ruskies had some very simple but very effective ideas implemented on this MiG (not as if there were not similar "Soldiers" before on other aircrafts). It is an extremely simple mechanical indicator for main gear, nose gear and in this case also for the flaps.

I did post photos of this before somewhere, will have to look for them.

It is obvious that on the Bronco kit the solution to have the left wing inner fence as a separate part is taken from the Trump kit. If there is a good idea there is absolutely no problem in using it by others also. I dont think Trump registered it as their own . . .

It is a great solution for providing both the early and later version (with cut-out) of the fence. This is something that in 72nd scale can not be duplicated due to size, unfortunately for the manufacturer so they have to make a separate left wing if they want to have this feature of cut-out.

On some aircraft the system was retrofitted and an easy cut-out made into the fence during maintenance. On the inside a support was added and along the line of the cut-out curve a rivet line was added. The actual fence on the real aircraft is an inverted V shape in cross section so one needs to fill the gap at the base of the cut-out. This is why one can find different size and slightly different position of the cut-out.

Best regards

Gabor

On 11/5/2020 at 8:31 PM, ChesshireCat said:

seems that the wings are outta wack. Been awhile since I read that data. May have been on the FSM web site years back

gary

Thank you Gary. I'am aware of

this issue. I don't think is a big deal, not noticeable. The  canopy seems a little shallow, but can be replaced. Other than that, I think it's a wonderful little kit. Now IMHO, what would really rock the modeling world is if GWH, or that new company MINIBASE would do a MiG-15 in 1/48th scale! 😎

Edited by B.Sin
12 hours ago, B.Sin said:

Thank you Gary. I'am aware of

this issue. I don't think is a big deal, not noticeable. The  canopy seems a little shallow, but can be replaced. Other than that, I think it's a wonderful little kit. Now IMHO, what would really rock the modeling world is if GWH, or that new company MINIBASE would do a MiG-15 in 1/48th scale! 😎

I don't dislike the Tamiya kit, but have always felt something could be better. Besides, I want a 32nd scale Mig15! That is a good one!! Never heard of "Minibase." I'd like to see a good quality Mig17 as well.

As for Mr. Gabor's comment about difficulty doing something in CAD, it's not all that hard, but takes another eight or so hours setting up the gauge lines. Machining the mold is much harder as few machines these days offer the dual readout for their axis drives. This is not the CRT screen, but feed back from the axis drives. Also the programing is extremely well guarded. But it's done daily in the states anyway

gary

2 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

I don't dislike the Tamiya kit, but have always felt something could be better. Besides, I want a 32nd scale Mig15! That is a good one!! Never heard of "Minibase." I'd like to see a good quality Mig17 as well.

As for Mr. Gabor's comment about difficulty doing something in CAD, it's not all that hard, but takes another eight or so hours setting up the gauge lines. Machining the mold is much harder as few machines these days offer the dual readout for their axis drives. This is not the CRT screen, but feed back from the axis drives. Also the programing is extremely well guarded. But it's done daily in the states anyway

gary

Minibase is a new kit maker. 

They are about to release their

first kit, an Su-33 in 1/48th scale. It looks like an amazing model.  There's a whole thread on it here on ARK. 

Edited by B.Sin
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2020 at 3:13 PM, HomeBe said:

Here are some pictures from a first professional build from this kit. 

Source: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7045948217?pn=2

b3d1535494eef01f19305b85f7fe9925bc317d2c

aa150e1373f0820227b6d27f5cfbfbedab641b2c

be4c17fcc3cec3fda51ae435c188d43f8794272c

Uhmmm :hmmm:

201031022946125839.jpg

800px-Mi-G-15bis-Edenvale-Aerodrome.jpg

V.P.

Hi HomeBee, was wondering the same thing. That is definately the infamous trailing edge wing attachment curve of the Trumpeter kit right there. It should be straight,

Pierre

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting box opening (not really a review) of the Bronco kits from HyperScale. It was interesting to hear that the North Korean national markings are interpreted by the author as Chinese, but after all he did say at the beginning that he has little knowledge of the MiG-15. Oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wneMSmcuu6w&feature=emb_logo

An important thing to add that in theory the early MiG-15 boxing should contain a different sprue for the fuselage. Although for beginners it would look like the same.

The difference in the gun pack was a minor difference between the early “simple” MiG-15 and the later modified MiG-15bis.

The after fuselage was changed together with the small airbrakes (on MiG-15)  to bigger ones on MiG-15 bis. The engine in the MiG-15 was a basic copy of the Rolls-Royce Nene engine (although all Russian historians and documents state that it was a Great Technological Achievement by the great Soviet engine designers)   : )  : )   : )

Actually some of the very early MiG-15 examples did have original Brit engines for trial. The Russian straight copy (“license production” : )   : )  : )  ) was the RD-45 engine. It (RD-45) was smaller and less powerful than the later engine version (VK-1) in the MiG-15 bis. Based on the different engine size the tail section was modified (not only the air brakes !), access panels changed, new equipment introduced (also visible from outside!). The difference was visible in that the original MiG-15 tail was shorter, more rounded, engine exhaust diameter smaller . . .

The real problem is that there was so much intermixing of different details (apart from engine and some important avionics) between the early and the later bis type that one would need to have a very close look at references when building a particular kit.

Best regards

Gabor

On 12/14/2020 at 3:25 PM, ya-gabor said:

The engine in the MiG-15 was a basic copy of the Rolls-Royce Nene engine (although all Russian historians and documents state that it was a Great Technological Achievement by the great Soviet engine designers)   : )  : )   : )

Actually none of Russian historians or documents hid the fact that the RR Nene was officially purchased from the British and copied as the RD-45. And yes, that was great achievement for country with industry laid in ruins after the war.
It's so hard to resist pointing the finger at these ridiculously arrogant Russians, isn't it?
Try to write this on Scalemodels, Gabor.

Please have a look at a Zvezda TV program few weeks ago on development and history of Russian jet engines!

There was no word of "ridiculously arrogant Russians" in my comment. It is only in your thoughts unfortunately. Sad!

I have far more connection to that coutry than you can imagine!

I do write many controversial things on scalemodels which are completely unacceptable on that side of the border even if they are true. 

Best regards

Gabor 

• HomeBe changed the title to 1/48 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 & MiG-15bis "Fagot" by Bronco Models - released - Hobby 2000 boxing LIM-1/-2 & S-102/-103

Hobby 2000 from Poland has announced reboxings from the Bronco Models 1/48th MiG-15 "Fagot" kits.

- ref. 48005 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15/LIM-1 "Fagot-A"

https://ksmodel.pl/sklep/szczegoly/hobby-2000-48005-mig-15-lim-1-limited-edition-1-48-22955/

hob248005.jpg

- ref. 48006 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15/S-102 "Fagot-A"

https://ksmodel.pl/sklep/szczegoly/hobby-2000-48006-mig-15-s-102-limited-edition-1-48-22956/

hob248006.jpg

- ref. 48007 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15Bis/S-103 "Fagot-B"

https://ksmodel.pl/sklep/szczegoly/hobby-2000-48007-mig-15bis-s-103-limited-edition-1-48-22957/

hob248007.jpg

- ref. 48008 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15Bis/LIM-2 "Fagot-B"

https://ksmodel.pl/sklep/szczegoly/hobby-2000-48008-mig-15bis-lim-2-limited-edition-1-48-22958/

hob248008.jpg

V.P.

• 2 weeks later...