External mix Paasche H spitting water

Hey, guys! I have a question for you guys. I have a Master TC-40T compressor with moister trap. In my last clear coat session, I noticed something that hasn’t happened to me before. My siphon fed external mix Paasche H airbrush is spitting what appears to be water when I use just the air to help the clear coat dry faster. I close the tip of the airbrush to keep anything from coming out of it but air, yet it still seems to want to periodically spit water (I think) when nothing should be coming out but air.

I’m wondering if it’s possible my water trap connected to my compressor isn’t catching all of the condensation. Has anyone had this problem? Would it be a good idea to get an additional water trap to fit on the airbrush itself as well?

Just FYI, I have a Paasche hose and airbrush; however, everything is fitted to Iwata size connections to allow me to interchange airbrushes without switching the hose or anything out. So I’m assuming it would be best to get an Iwata moister trap for the airbrush if that is the problem?

Thank you guys ahead of time for any responses to the issue. Oh, and a little bit more information about it spitting water. It seemed to start closer to the end of one of my clear coating sessions. So I’m wondering if it may have just got a bit too hot and the air condensed inside the hose after passing the water trap on the compressor. 

11 hours ago, Bob Beary said:

Is there visible water in the moisture trap on the compressor? Have you drained that?

When was the last time you drained the tank?

Bob

there is a tiny bit of water in the moister trap. I can’t seem to get the small amount out.

Tbh, I have only used this compressor maybe 4-5 times for about 30 minutes. I haven’t drained it yet. I feel kinda stupid now. Lol. It’s still pretty new ,and the guide was less than helpful. 

2 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

My first port of call would be a minor service of the air compressor...
Drain the air off the tank

Vent the tank to atmosphere 

Remove the drain plug and drain anything from the tank

Replace the plug

Clean out the moisture trap

I’ve done all that but the last part. I have looked at this moisture trap. I’m having trouble figuring out how to take this one apart to clean. I’m going to keep trying. Just not having luck figuring this out. There is zero information online that I can find about this particular type of moisture trap. If worse comes to worse, I can call the company to ask. 

You dont need to take the moisture trap apart, in fact you shouldnt take it apart at all. There is a dump valve on it to empty it out, that is all you should need to do.

If you have removed the drain plug on the tank and emptied it out then Im not sure what is going wrong.

Maybe leave it off for a day or two to make sure any water in there is gone...

If the compressor tank is completely free of any water and the moisture trap has no water in it and it is working properly then the water might be creeping in in the air line between the moisture trap and the airbrush.

How long is the airline from the moisture trap to the airbrush?

Update: I did take off the moisture trap and was able to get most of the water out of the trap. I then ran the compressor as @Bob Beary suggested. No more water seems to be coming out. I’m thinking that solved it. I still plan on calling the company to see how if they can tell me if and/or how to take this particular moisture trap a part to clean. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alot of interesting comments. I had this exact problem and here is your solution a Paasche in line moisture trap it works like a dream. I live on the west coast rain forest belt super high humidity I solved some of my issues by switching from enamel to acrylic. It matters because if moisture makes it into your brush the atomized moisturs can be absorbed by acrylic paint. Additionally the inline moisture trap gives you a hint when it is overloaded by releasing a little spit through a set screw on the side. When that happens I just open up the set screw and let the moisture blow out. Best of luck hope this helps.

20201107_114851-600x450.jpg