Spitfire Mk. 1 compared to Mk. 1a in model kits...

Hey All,

I've done some research and not found a satisfactory answer, so I figured I'd just come to this location of vast knowledge...

I'm confused about the differences, if any, between a Spitfire Mk. 1 and Mk. 1a.  I have the new Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire 'Mk. 1'.  I also have the new Eduard 'Spitfire Story The Few', which implies that the included Spitfires are Mk. 1 variants, but then, there are 2 different fuselages, albeit minor differences, and I was wondering if those differences constitute a Mk. 1 versus Mk. 1a.  In 'The Few' kit, nowhere on the box or in the instructions (that I've noticed, not saying it's not there) there does not APPEAR to be any reference to either Mk 1 or 1a, specifically.  Additionally, now, Eduard is selling a ProfiPack Spitfire Mk. 1a kit.  'The Few' kit includes 2 fuselage types, identified as parts B1 and B2, and C1 and C2, and it APPEARS (making an assumption) that the B1/B2 fuselage were for the earlier of the 2 planes that can be made from the kit, while the ProfiPack kit includes only fuselage parts identified as C1/C2, presumably the same C1/C2 parts as in 'The Few' kit.  Now, the main difference between the B1/B2 and C1/C2 fuselage parts appear to be VERY tiny air scoops to the left and right of the windscreen and a VERY small additional thickness in the plastic over the front fuel tank on the C1/C2 fuselage parts (the presumed 'later' of the 2 aircraft types), while neither the scoops nor thickness are on the B1/B2 fuselage parts, and the only fuselage type in the Tamiya kit appears to have neither the tiny air scoops or additional thickness over the full tank area.

So...what am I to make of all this data?  Is it that both fuselage types in the Eduard kit are Mk. 1a (NOT Mk. 1) Spitfires, which would imply, then, that the Tamiya kit, which is called a Mk. 1, is really a Mk 1a?  Or, is the scooped/thickened fuselage in 'The Few' a MK. 1a, and the other 'The Few' fuselage and the Tamiya are Mk 1?  Or is all this indicative that I've gone completely insane and there really isn't a variant difference (Mk 1 versus Mk. 1a) included in either of these kits?  Or is this level of detail insufficient to differentiate between a Mk. 1 versus Mk. 1a Spitfire?  Now, if this helps (or causes even MORE confusion), the 3 paint schemes identified in the Eduard 'The Few' instructions that have the modeler use the B1/B2 fuselage parts, are for the 2 schemes that have a 2 bladed propellor, and the third scheme is identified as a summer 1939 scheme with a silver underside, while the Tamiya kit has 3 different paint schemes, all using the only fuselage type provided (no scoops or thickness over the gas tank), on airplanes identified as 1) 1939 (pre-WWII), 2) 1940, Battle of Britain, and 3) 1940, Operation Dynamo (i.e., Dunkirk). 

HELP, please?  If possible...

AFAIK, there was really just the Mk. I. I think the "a" suffix denoted the "a" wing with 8 MGs. Further, the Mk. Ia designation was only used retroactively after the introduction of the cannon-armed Mk. IB. I believe the small air scoops by the windscreen were for cockpit ventilation, and the slightly thicker surface over the fuel tank was additional armor. These represented refinements of the Mk. I, but not a new sub-variant.

Hi,

My take on the Mk I versus the Mk Ia designation is...

It is the same aircraft. Until about late 1940, only simple Mk designations were used, just a Roman numeral and no letter.

Then, it was decided to use a letter to indicate armament options. And "a" was usually just rifle caliber MG's, a "b" indicated cannon.

There were a few Spitfire Mk I's with experimental 20 mm cannon in 1940, at that time they were known as "Spitfire Mk I Cannon-armed". Later such a Spitfire would have been called "Spitfire Mk Ib", but they weren't around any more.

Likewise, standard Spitfire Mk I's were known as "Spitfire Mk I" in 1940, by 1941 they would have been called "Spitfire Mk I a".

Cheers, Stefan.

Wow, thanks, guys.  So...to restate what you gents have told me in my own words...it's the same aircraft with a few minor refinements, cockpit ventilation and fuel tank armor.  That's it?  Then, the only nuance would be, regarding the improvements and a given paint scheme, would be whether a particular aircraft had a particular improvement or not?    Well, that would certainly simplify things.  And, since the Eduard instructions clearly delineate paint schemes that belong with the 2 blade propellors (and the associated fuselage situation), I guess I don't really need to sweat the designations (or lack thereof).  I really hope it's this easy!!