AN/ALE-45 for F-15C

Hello All,

I am starting a new model of F-15C in 1/48th scale. I am going to use the Hasegawa model kit. For that I also have the Bullseye 48-008 Desert Storm Eagles decal sheet.

Since I was thinking about doing a BT or CR tail coded plane I realised that those are non-MSIP aircrafts. 

What I do understand from that information is:

- No digital screen at the left of instrument panel

and although not related to MSIP 

- No bumb on the right tail bottom

But I am not sure whether the chaff/flare system had been installed or not as the experts already stated that MSIP and counter measures are different modifications. 

I would appreciate a lot if someone could inform me whether the BT and CR planes had been installed with AN/ALE-45 chaff/flare system during the Desert Storm period.

Thank You very much in advance.

Arkut Yuksel

I will throw this out and I may be wrong, but here goes... The only part of chaff/flare systems that are visible on the F-16 are the the magazines. I believe these are standardized across all fighter aircraft. Chaff is in a 6x5 grid. Flares can be 6x5 or 3x5. During Iraqi Freedom, we flew the 3x5. In the cockpit, there is a panel for countermeasures, but I don't think it would be identifiable in 1/48 scale.

I hope this helps.

Vern

Dear Vern,

Unfortunately as they are visible and clearly identifiable by their appearance they have to be added on the model if they had existed during Desert Storm (1991) for the planes that I want to build. The model itself (Hasegawa) does not have any visible magazines on it. Even the GWH has the blank plates have in place and one needs to replicate the magazines by him/herself should one want to depict the condition during an operation.

But since it is a kind of an upgrade which might be technically indented from MSIP I need a verification whether they had been applied on the planes before the Desert Storm.

Thank You very much for Your interest and time.

Arkut

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 11:42 AM, clumsy said:

Since I was thinking about doing a BT or CR tail coded plane I realised that those are non-MSIP aircrafts. 

I would appreciate a lot if someone could inform me whether the BT and CR planes had been installed with AN/ALE-45 chaff/flare system during the Desert Storm period.

Some of the Bitburg jets were MSIP by that point,  none of the CR jets were though.  As you mentioned, the chaff/flare mod was separate from MSIP, and started around 1987 or 1988.  By the time Desert Storm came around, most (probably all) active duty Eagles had the chaff/flare dispensers installed, and I would be shocked if they deployed a jet for Desert Shield/Storm without those fitted.

Regards,

Murph

Dear Murph,

Thank You very much for Your precious comments and answer. 
I needed the verification as I also was assuming that they were equipped with the chaff/flare. Since I am not an expert on the airplane I needed to consult Yours. 

(I have learned the difference of MSIP and self defence utility from Your statements;) )

I was also looking for a photo of that period for the squadrons. I have found a BT plane in a Squadron Publications Air War-Desert Storm book but the quality is very low that it is not possible to identify the area in front of the wheel wells.

All the others’ photos are from EG or FF which are not my subject:/

Thank You very much again for Your precious comments. I appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Arkut

Apparently the 23 TFS Tigers from Bitburg (they had the 84-XXX planes) were MSIP in Desert storm . The 525TFS Bulldogs with the 79-xxx planes were not MSIP in DS.

They all had the chaff flare buckets in front of the MLG. BTW If you have the Verlinden LOCK ON detail book on the F-15. Its a 1989 walkaround of Bitburg Jets and you can clearly see in some pictures the chaff and flare buckets. 

Another little detail to look out for is the ACES II seat, around DS period on top of the seat there was installed a canopy piercing device.

Most BT jets were allready repainted once before they went to DS and it was still the light/dark ghost gray combo (Not MOD eagle!) but the dark ghost gray was a bit more darker. Nice detail if you model a still factory painted eagle is al the panel numbers all over the plane...

Dear 31Tiger,

Thank You too for Your precious effort and information.

You are right that the Verlinden book contains the pictures where the buckets are visible. Unfortunately the planes’ identification (ie. serials) can not be verified hence I felt opening the title for a chance.

well, in this case I have more than one chance that You and Murph both verified my assumption.

Also I again appreciate the rest of the details as they are useful for additional points I need to pay attention. I will try to implement them on the model.

Thank You very much again.

Kind regards,

Arkut

3 hours ago, 31Tiger said:

Most of the detail pictures in the VP book are off F-15D 84-0044

It is obvious from the photo of the left intake but it is D and MSIP aircraft. But there are other details from other photos that there is also a C model but can not verify clearly the serial. There is one with starting 80-xxxx but the chaff/flare can not be verified to belong to that particular one. Anyway, both Your statements didi make me convinced.

3 hours ago, 31Tiger said:

Take a look here ; around 1Hr 10 Min ...filmed by my Dad in may 1992 

Your father was very lucky to shoot these ones. I wish I was that lucky. May be we can only hope to see another open day sooner than we expect. The '92 year is just a bit late for the period. Of course, those might just be back from the DS. But, I am consistent on doing a non-MSIP one just because of the nostalgia.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Arkut

Hi,

I will be using the Bullseye 48-008 Desert Storm Eagles. Hence the need for verification of the chaff/flare system without MSIP notification as the notes on the decals only provides the information for the MSIP modification.

The BT and CR serials are for the non-MSIP ones; the BT ones are from Bulldogs.

Cheers,

Arkut