CD48200 - 1/48 B-1B Lancer Part 3

Very good, a must-have for me.  In addition to the SAC markings, it would be great to see a couple of the camouflaged jets that wore the ACC markings prior to receiving the 36118 paint, particularly the units that lost the B-1 mission in the 90s/00s such as Grand Forks, McConnell, and Mountain Home.

Chris

Edited by Gator52

Very cool. A 1/48 B-1 is on my bucket list, but time is passing by….

I know you’ve said that you always consider scaling down your 1/48 subjects to 1/72. Should you do that here, it would be great to see markings for the initial white and tan/brown colored B-1As if space allows.

Decals for the white and tan B-1As would have very limited appeal I think.  The conversion work requried to make the B-1B into a B-1A is quite substantial around the engine nacelle and wing sweep area - at least aircraft #4 had a tail cone resembling the B-1B.  I admit I've wanted to make a camouflaged B-1A for a while, but the amount of work and finding enough references to satisfy me has pushed that into the future.

14 hours ago, jenshb said:

Decals for the white and tan B-1As would have very limited appeal I think.  The conversion work requried to make the B-1B into a B-1A is quite substantial around the engine nacelle and wing sweep area - at least aircraft #4 had a tail cone resembling the B-1B. I admit I've wanted to make a camouflaged B-1A for a while, but the amount of work and finding enough references to satisfy me has pushed that into the future.

You might be right, but I'd be hesitant to ask for markings for an aircraft that required significant conversion. I hope that markings for the white and tan/brown schemes (particularly the latter) wouldn’t take up a lot of space on the sheet. No matter, I'll buy the sheet either way. 🙂

• 4 months later...

I don't think this version of the 77 BS tail markings has ever been done in decal form, blue stripe with a representation of Mount Rushmore:

Rockwell B-1B Lancer - USA - Air Force | Aviation Photo #0805417 | Airliners.net

Rockwell B-1B Lancer - USA - Air Force | Aviation Photo #0232324 | Airliners.net

I'll keep searching for a close-up of the fin flash.

Chris

• 4 months later...
On 11/10/2020 at 3:29 PM, KursadA said:

"Enforcer" is a long time favorite, too:

I have not found an overall photo of Enforcer (85-0092) online, but there's a good color photo in ACC Bomber Triad by Logan, showing it in June of 1993 at Ellsworth still in three-tone Strategic paint and ACC markings (EL tail code and "Tigers" stripe).

Chris

I ran across a tidbit in B-1 Lancer in Detail & Scale (by Wachsmuth) that might be helpful:

"Currently all operational B-1Bs carry nose art...the approved colors for artwork are black (37038), blue (35109), blue (35044), red (31136), gray (36118), gray (36081), green (34086), green (34138), brown (30111), tan (30219), and orange (32169).  Whites and yellows are not to be used, but exceptions have crept in over time."

The author's use of "currently" refers to 1990 and the three-color strategic scheme.

HTH

Chris

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The ten options on this sheet will feature camouflaged aircraft from four different bomb wings, all with nose art:

• B-1B 86-0095 "Mystique"
  • B-1B 83-0070 "7 Wishes"
  • B-1B 85-0078 "Classy Lady"
  • B-1B 85-0080 "Screamin' Demon"
  • B-1B 85-0081 "Equalizer"
  • B-1B 85-0082 "Gunsmoke"
  • B-1B 85-0092 "Enforcer"
  • B-1B 86-0096 "Thunder Child"
  • B-1B 86-0110 "Sunrise Surprise"
  • B-1B 86-0119 "Christine"

There will also be a comprehensive stencilling sheet (identical to the one provided with CD48092 and CD48144, but in appropriate camouflage colors), and gray walkways.

cd48200.jpg

Maybe a future release may have 86-0116 "Victress" on it. Watched her first hand go up in flames with spectacular flare and exploding bomb show. I believe she was the only BONE operational loss during Middle East operations.

Edited by bashace
17 minutes ago, bashace said:

Maybe a future release may have 86-0116 "Victress" on it. Watched her first hand go up in flames with spectacular flare and exploding bomb show. I believe she was the only BONE operational loss during Middle East operations.

Wasn't there, but worked with several people who were and heard the story.  I am due to head back over soon.  I'll bet the grass is still not growing at that spot. 🤣

The one that landed wheels up at D-Gar was repaired and is still flying, I think.  Heard the stories, read the report and saw the photos.  Those air-bag jacks are pretty neat. Pretty spectacular shot of them blowing the gear down.

K/r,

Dutch

12 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Wasn't there, but worked with several people who were and heard the story.  I am due to head back over soon.  I'll bet the grass is still not growing at that spot. 🤣

The one that landed wheels up at D-Gar was repaired and is still flying, I think.  Heard the stories, read the report and saw the photos.  Those air-bag jacks are pretty neat. Pretty spectacular shot of them blowing the gear down.

K/r,

Dutch

The maintenance road that it destroyed itself over still has gouges from debris hitting it, I took a series of short vids during incident with my phone, can see the fire trucks scatter when the first bomb cooked off.

They don't have any grass that grows there, but if they did...

Edited by bashace
Forgot how to spell

Kursad, 

These are all beautiful schemes with wonderful nose art.  I think that the 319th Sunflake (decal #10 & 13) colors should be more orange and a slightly lighter blue.  See photo below.

Screenshot_20220420-220216_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1bbbcbd6362e0aa8e6d8ef70e0c889af.jpg

Edited by Dutch

When the 319th switched from SAC to ACC, they added the GF (Grand Forks) talicode and changed the sunflake into two broad stripes on the tail, but kept the orange and middle/light blue colors. See photo below.

Screenshot_20220420-221247_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e555a70e8a8113e1139059a41db5159f.jpg