CD72118 - 1/72 V-22 Osprey

CD72118 will be a 1/72 sheet for the CV-22B / MV-22B / CMV-22B Osprey; designed for the Hasegawa kit. It will basically be a scaled-down version of my recent 1/48 scale Osprey sheet (CD48164), plus a couple of new options (the new commander's aircraft for VMM-363 "Lucky Red Lions" and the first US Navy CMV-22B from VRC-30).

And if any one of you happens to work at North Island or have any connections there, please let me know if VRC-30 is planning to paint their CMV-22B with any kind of unit markings before the first deployment. I think they have not been able to paint it yet, but I am sure they are planning something.

Pretty plain jane right now!  But VRC-30 and eventually VRC-40 markings would be very nice!  I appears that the forward portion of the main wheel sponsons are enlarged.  Extra fuel or storage?

005.jpg.15120b51a0d3a07f7afb89ca81c078ca.jpg

Here is a link to a photo from a different angle that better highlights the bulges.

Edited by Dutch
add link.
3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Pretty plain jane right now!  But VRC-30 and eventually VRC-40 markings would be very nice!  I appears that the forward portion of the main wheel sponsons are enlarged.  Extra fuel or storage?

005.jpg.15120b51a0d3a07f7afb89ca81c078ca.jpg

Here is a link to a photo from a different angle that better highlights the bulges.

Extra fuel.

Interesting that they are keeping the A/R probe on it.

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

I guess they had to place the bulges there in order to maintain CG limits.

Also reduced the engineering challenges, gear is still accessible, running a slimmer pod all the way along the sponsen would have required some major maintenance changes..  CMV-22's big job will be flying F-35 engines to/from the carrier.  Engine and maintenance travel stand fill the cargo area.  Ugly pods on the sponsen front allowed extra fuel without too many engineering/flight test issues.

I am waiting to see if AFSOC or the Marines follow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...