83-1285...The first C-5B was delivered to Altus AFB, OK. It was painted in that horrible European 1 paint scheme. I have several hours in her along with the first dozen B models. Picked a couple of them up new at Lockheed. Flew the A model for 14 years...over 3500 flight hours in the C-5A/B as a Loadmaster before moving on to the MC-130.

Great job Shawn!

Cheers...Ron

Ron, What years were you in?  Dad was on the C-5 Design and Test team.  Also a Loadmaster.  He retired in ‘77 or ‘78.  Cannot quite remember.  But his last duty was the NCOIC of the 437th Mobility Branch in Charleston, SC.  

I’m sitting here looking at my white and gray Testors/Otaki build in my family room right now.  Takes me back to watching the first one fly into Charleston as it did a low pass over our heads after sneaking up behind us.  

20 hours ago, Scott Smith said:

Ron, What years were you in?  Dad was on the C-5 Design and Test team.  Also a Loadmaster.  He retired in ‘77 or ‘78.  Cannot quite remember.  But his last duty was the NCOIC of the 437th Mobility Branch in Charleston, SC.  

I’m sitting here looking at my white and gray Testors/Otaki build in my family room right now.  Takes me back to watching the first one fly into Charleston as it did a low pass over our heads after sneaking up behind us.  

I was in the C-5 program from 1975 to 1989. I loved the old grey/white paint scheme. It was the best looking one so far. I was at Travis from 1975-1980 Altus 1980-1989.

On 11/6/2020 at 6:37 PM, aircommando130 said:

83-1285...The first C-5B was delivered to Altus AFB, OK. It was painted in that horrible European 1 paint scheme. I have several hours in her along with the first dozen B models. Picked a couple of them up new at Lockheed. Flew the A model for 14 years...over 3500 flight hours in the C-5A/B as a Loadmaster before moving on to the MC-130.

Great job Shawn!

Cheers...Ron

Horrible Euro 1? I always liked it on any aircraft.

Nothing beats the old MAC white top blue cheat line and gray bottom on the C-5/C-141. They were gorgeous in that 

paint scheme. The C-130 in the Southeast Asia Paint looked great too. The Euro 1 scheme killed all the lines on any airplane.

Looked like a blackgreen blob from any distance. Was really glad when AFSOC went to the gray "shark" scheme on the MC-130!

Cheers...Ron