Converting a earlyF-16 A to an F-16ADF

It depends on how accurate you want to be.  The big items are a new cockpit and vertical stab, plus a bunch of panel lines and some new antenna.  A Block 30 will require a different engine, or you can do a Block 25 which retains the A-model's P&W.

Grab yourself some good refs and get to work.  It isn't that hard.

Jake

What scale, 72nd or  48th?

If 48th. the old AMT/Ertl kit has features from the YF-16 prototype that would need to be corrected:

• forward strake/fuselage mating line
  • YF two piece nose gear door > one piece door on A & C
  • YF ventral strake shape need correcting

In addition to the differences Jake mentioned, the blade antenna on the bottom of the intake moved back to between the ventral strakes.

You'd be better off finding a Revell or early Hasegawa F-16C for cheap.  Another option is the Academy kit, it had both A and C vertical tails in the kit.

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

What scale, 72nd or  48th?

If 48th. the old AMT/Ertl kit has features from the YF-16 prototype that would need to be corrected:

• forward strake/fuselage mating line
  • YF two piece nose gear door > one piece door on A & C
  • YF ventral strake shape need correcting

In addition to the differences Jake mentioned, the blade antenna on the bottom of the intake moved back to between the ventral strakes.

You'd be better off finding a Revell or early Hasegawa F-16C for cheap.  Another option is the Academy kit, it had both A and C vertical tails in the kit.

48th, I'll go through the stash and see if I still have my old Academy kit.

Now to choose between the 16, or skip it for now and do a Strike Eagle next.

21 hours ago, Da SWO said:

48th, I'll go through the stash and see if I still have my old Academy kit.

Now to choose between the 16, or skip it for now and do a Strike Eagle next.

You could always treat yourself to a Tamiya Block 25. One of the most enjoyable builds I can remember.

Going to give my son 1.5 ERTL kits and take the Academy F-16C.

@seawinder Has to be a block 30, as I am making a specific tail number (Wing I was in).

Doesn't seem like a lot of aftermarket stuff, so I'll probably go OOB with SuperScale decals from my stash.

I'll be doing a 107FS, NOBLE EAGLE bird.

1 hour ago, Da SWO said:

@seawinder Has to be a block 30, as I am making a specific tail number (Wing I was in).

Doesn't seem like a lot of aftermarket stuff, so I'll probably go OOB with SuperScale decals from my stash.

Sorry -- missed that. If you can find it, the Tamiya F-16C Aggressor kit has everything you need for a block 30 including both small and large mouth intakes.

7 hours ago, Da SWO said:

The Academy kit won’t have the requisite GE exhaust for a block 30. 

Mark

6 hours ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

The Academy kit won’t have the requisite GE exhaust for a block 30. 

True, I missed that.  GE exhausts are only in certain 1/48 kits by Hasegawa, Kinetic, Revell and Tamiya.  (or aftermarket)

Italeri kits have a GE exhaust option but the number of 'feathers' is wrong.

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

True, I missed that.  GE exhausts are only in certain 1/48 kits by Hasegawa, Kinetic, Revell and Tamiya.  (or aftermarket)

Italeri kits have a GE exhaust option but the number of 'feathers' is wrong.

Can I get an aftermarket kit?  I looked at Sprue Brothers and didn't see an Academy specific set, so would another (HAS/TAM) set work?

The Academy and Hasegawa kits are Very Similar. In fact I would say with a high degree of confidence the Academy kit is based on the Hasegawa with some simplifications made for the molds, specifically the non-convex canopy and the lack of slope/twist on the flat sides of the aft fuselage.

I put a resin inlet designed for Hasegawa on the Academy kit and it fit perfectly.  I would bet an aftermarket GE nozzle designed for the Hasegawa kit would be a perfect fit on the Academy kit.  Same for the cockpit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/7/2020 at 2:19 PM, Da SWO said:

I wimped out and bought a Tamiya F-16C.

Any aftermarket requirements for this one? (exhaust nozzle is on my to buy list)

I'm going to try and build this as an 191 FIG F-16 ADF.  IFF is available as an aftermarket item, and the searchlight should be relatively easy

The bulges in the tail base might be a challenge.

Guess I'm going to be brave building 2 models at once, we'll see how that goes.  Shelf of doom loses another victim.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You have probably gone past the point of no return. Don't forget that you need the bigger stabs for all C models. But, if you cut the old ones off clean, you could probably swap them with another kit and keep the short stabs to do an early F-16A.

11 hours ago, Jay Chladek said:

You have probably gone past the point of no return. Don't forget that you need the bigger stabs for all C models. But, if you cut the old ones off clean, you could probably swap them with another kit and keep the short stabs to do an early F-16A.

Definitely past the point of no return.

Going with the ADF, which is essentially an A. 

Working on the tail

More ADF work.

• 1 month later...

Life and the snowpocolypse slowed things down, but I am working on models again.

Tail was added, the original tail was bent so I went to the 2nd kit and robbed the tail/base combo.  The base wasn't molded well (hence the crooked tail) so I had to sand the top down making it level.  Then I discovered the base was also not level, glued the tail verticle and used putty to fill the gap at the base.

This is a pre-sanding pic as I had to mold two additional hydraulic bumps for the tail.

F16 ADF

I also drilled a hole for the spotlight.  Current plan is to put a small piece of aluminum foil in, then cover using microscale kristal clear.

That will get done after primer, top color and I'll add weights (bb's) through the hole.

Any suggestions on how much weight to add?

F16ADF

• 3 weeks later...

I found a resin ADF "conversion set on-line and ordered the IFF antennae combo.  The set was way too big, so I cut it down to fit.

F-16 ADF

The found out from a former crew chief that they also had IFF antennae under the intake lip:(

With help from my son I created a mold and cast my own.

F16ADF

Some sanding to smooth the edges, then a touch up primer coat.  The radome was also painted.  Tomorrow's hope is to put the light coat of grey on. We'll see how many coats it takes to cover the primer.

5 hours ago, Da SWO said:

I found a resin ADF "conversion set on-line and ordered the IFF antennae combo.  The set was way too big, so I cut it down to fit.

F-16 ADF

Sorry to dissappoint you, but that is the MLU antennas for the Tamiya F-16, so no wonder it was too big. 

The antennas in front of the cockpit and under the intake are essentially the same, so if you make a new set you should be able to correct if you want to. 

As for references, check out www.F-16.net, they have an abundance of photos of F-16A/B ADF's 

• Da SWO changed the title to Converting a earlyF-16 A to an F-16ADF