CH-47F STH of German Luftwaffe in 1:72 by Revell

Some may have heard that the German Bundeswehr is planning to aquire new cargo helicopters to replace our aging CH-53s. The project name is "STH" - Schwerer Transporthubschrauber (Heavy Transporthelicopter) and we planned to be smart: To avoid spending a fortune on development of something completely new, it was agreed to buy "Military off the Shelf" by looking at offers from Sikorsky with the CH-53K and Boeing with it´s CH-47F.

lysUn3z.jpg

Well.... As you may already know, this didn´t went as planned. Because one of the major demands for procuring one of the above mentioned products was to have all maintenance and product development be done by german industry after having bought the helicopter. But maintenance and development are one of the main income for manufacturers today, so both companies pinned this "lost business" to their price tag. And voilà, it became too expensive for us. At this very moment the procurement of teh STH is stopped, and I have no idea how we will progress from now on.

Well, so much for german military procurement policy, back to my model. I wanted to do a "what if-ish" CH-47F in german colours, just to see how teh Chinook may look if we´d chose and procure it:

oABnfHJ.jpg

I used the Revell-kit of the MH-47G, attaching the wide sponsons as a CH-47F would have it. The german side also planned to have IFR-capability for teh helo, so I included the refueling-probe as well.

TzpUqDr.jpg

Chinooks are notorious for their leaking engines, and I replicated that effect as well.

gqjAxxl.jpg

For the camoflage I simply copied the scheme that is used on current german CH-53GS. Boeing is advertising their german "STH" in a very boring, single-tone grey, but I hope that someone improtant may see the three-tone-camo and orders the potentiel new STH to be painted this way instead.

ZgOF6yR.jpg

I used some decals from the kit, but most of them came from my spare-box.

B8vbanx.jpg

L8s2DVF.jpg

The model is OOB, except for the crew of two pilots and one flight engineer.

2woZ7C9.jpg

tN8rCGZ.jpg

The kit was very nice to build, but barely notice that it´s heritage is an old Matchbox-kit!

D3E8wPE.jpg

NqdV2uf.jpg

So, I´m curious if my Chinook one day may come true as 1:1-model!

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...