Thanks to all the veterans out there

I do two things everyday:

1. thank the Lord everyday for keeping my sorry butt outta harm's way. (by the way I didn't know it was as sorry as it was till my first Platoon Sargent told me)

2. Read the daily KIA reports on the Vietnam Wall in detail. Then thank the Lord one more time! 

gary

something that really needs to be brought up; as bad as I don't want to.

On many boards there have been comments about selling poppies on Veterans day. THEY ARE NOT for sale ever! Just take one and wear it is all they ask. Yes there is a box or jar for a hand out, but you do not have donate. That money is set aside in a sepperate account for veteran's relief issues. The only time you may take money out of the account other than a relief issue is for issues with the building itself (say a new roof). The accounts are monitored by the national and state organizations, and you must file a monthly report of relief handed out. Then ontop of that the IRS and state tax folks monitor it as well. It's like everybody is looking over your shoulder. 

Now we (my two posts I belong to) hand out a lot of money every year. Be thinking in five figures yearly. Over the last five or six years we've joined hands with the American Legion and DAV with the Forty & Eight starting to help out where needed. Still we find that we often get taken advantage of, and there seems to be a "route" they run between one post to another. Now we will pay for a hotel room or light bill (rent, etc). Fix a car or buy groceries for a family. But no TV sets and booze! We will always feed a vet in trouble if he comes in the post. At the monthly meetings there is a report given on money handed out, and we also get with other veterans posts to compare notes. Years back, we were an open bank account, and a few seriously scammed us out of a lot of cash (one guy had a masters degree from Harvard and couldn't find a job). A few (not many) have paid us back when they got back on solid ground, but we don't expect them to.

gary