F/A-18D Hornet and AN/AAQ-28 LITENING pod

My plan is to make F/A-18D Hornet model, but I have some small problem regarding LITENING pod localisation.
I know I can hang it under central pylon (station 5), but due to many different ordnance I am goin to use, I would like to put it on station 6 or 4.
Here there  is coming one problem: I have no idea how should look special adapter for that pod. 
There is one adapter in my kit (F/A-18D 1:48 from Hobby Boss) for AN/AAS-38, which looks pretty good for shape of LITENING (it should fit), but should I use it? Is it proper adapter for that pod?

Or should I make quite different adapter from scratch?
Anyone can help?

USMC always carries the pod on the centerline, it is only Spanish AF, RAAF and CAF that carries the targeting pod (Lightening and/or Sniper) on the inlet station. 

So if accuracy is what you're after, centerline is the correct. 

If accuracy is not that important, you can use the adapter in the kit and fit the Lightening as best you can. 

In this photo you can see it fittet to the inlet station on a Spanish AF Hornet.

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/145789/M/Spain-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-C-15-Hornet-EF-18A/C-15-39/

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/143622/M/Spain-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-C-15-Hornet-EF-18A/C-15-72/
https://www.airfighters.com/photo/141450/M/Spain-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-C-15-Hornet-EF-18A/C-15-54/

As you can see, the adaptor is not that different from the one provided in the kit, so again if you are not that focused on accuracy I believe the kit part can be used, or used as basis for a modification that should bring you closer to the real thing. 

The AN/AAQ-33 Sniper that CAF uses has aftermarket adaptor available, but is a totaly different and cannot be used or modified to represent the AN/AAQ-28 Lighterning adaptor your looking for. 

What stores are you planning to use since centerline apparently is occupied? 

Edited by Niels

Thanks a lot Niels, you explained me all I wanted to know.

Regarding my model and my plans: I am going to make something impressive (I hope) but not focues on accuracy, as you said.
I am going to use F/A-18D from Hobby Boss to make Legacy Hornet in aggressor camouflage (BuNo 162864 from VFA-125) but with very modern ordnance hanging.

samolo00.jpg

My plan is (from station 1 to 9):
1. AIM-9M
2. 2xAIM-120C
3. GBU-32
4. AN/AAQ-28 LITENING
5. Fuel tank
6. AIM-7M
7. GBU-12
8. AGM-65
9. AIM-9. 

Edited by Solo

You could re-arrange this to be a bit more in line with current USMC practice; 
1. AIM-9M
2. GBU-32
3. Fuel tank 
4. AIM-120
5. AN/AAQ-28 LITENING
6. AIM-120
7. GBU-12
8. AGM-65
9. AIM-9M  

This would mean you loose the AIM-7, but these were rarely carried together with A2G ordinance anyway. Alternatively keep 1 of AIM-120 and 1 of AIM-7 on inlet stations? I mean it's your model so you can do what you want 😉 

5 minutes ago, Niels said:

I mean it's your model so you can do what you want

Not really. I am making it as a commision build and my client stressed me to make those 2xAIM-120C on one single launcher as you can see it below on the picture (it is important for him, I don't know why).
Beside it, as I can see there are no such adapter/pylons for AAQ-28 in HB kit box. I can see two adaptersfor AS38 andASQ-173, but both are quite different from that ones you showed on your pictures. But ok, I think I will scratch out something from this adapter for AAS-38, I hope.

samolot13.jpg

OK. 

Like I said, it is mostly Spanish AF that carries the AN/ASQ-28 on the inlet station. CAF also does this, but for the Sniper, so different mount. 

Good luck, keep us posted on development 

15 hours ago, Solo said:

Thanks a lot Niels, you explained me all I wanted to know.

Regarding my model and my plans: I am going to make something impressive (I hope) but not focues on accuracy, as you said.
I am going to use F/A-18D from Hobby Boss to make Legacy Hornet in aggressor camouflage (BuNo 162864 from VFA-125) but with very modern ordnance hanging.

samolo00.jpg

My plan is (from station 1 to 9):
1. AIM-9M
2. 2xAIM-120C
3. GBU-32
4. AN/AAQ-28 LITENING
5. Fuel tank
6. AIM-7M
7. GBU-12
8. AGM-65
9. AIM-9. 

While it is your or your client’s model and if accuracy isn’t important, then so be it.  With that said, -125 was a training squadron (not an adversary unit, just had some painted up that way) and would not be carrying that full of a load. 

Sorry, just my pet peeve. It drives me crazy when I see models of -101 F-14s toting full loads of AIM-54s or a full A-G load, yet we rarely flew with drop tanks loaded, let alone full of live or training ordnance.

2 hours ago, Solo said:

Frankly said, I don't like such bizzare loadouts for aircraft (especially training one, what I didn't know until now), but also I can't say it drives me crazy.
Take it easy, it is just modelling, not real life.

Like I said, it’s your model, you can do whatever you want.  It was a figure of speech, I’m not literally thrusting myself off a bridge...  

With that said, if you had flown or worked on the actual bird, you’d be a bit more invested, after all, in this case, we’re modelling something “real”. If you had, I would hope when you see something that looks silly, you’d say something.  Your original question was asking for options; if you’re going to load whatever you want, then don’t ask, just post the final product.

Good luck with the project.