Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk. 1 versus Eduard

Hey All,

I haven't yet begun building any of the Eduard Spitfire Mk. 1 models that I have, but I have been watching others and have read through the instructions that came with the Eduard 'The Few' kit.  To this point, I'm of the opinion that while the Tamiya kit is fabulous, the Eduard has just the tiniest bit more...goodness, shall we say.  I found one spot where the Tamiya has better detail, though.  That is with respect to the radio mast.  The Tamiya has a tiny photo etched part that actually allows antenna wire to be routed through it, like the spool on the actual aircraft, making the rigging of the wire a lot easier, and more like the real deal, whereas the Eduard kit just has a little 'nub' on the mast.  Since antennas/aerials are one of my banes in model making, that small Tamiya detail brings that kit up a few notches in my view.

3 hours ago, Curt B said:

Hey All,

I haven't yet begun building any of the Eduard Spitfire Mk. 1 models that I have, but I have been watching others and have read through the instructions that came with the Eduard 'The Few' kit.  To this point, I'm of the opinion that while the Tamiya kit is fabulous, the Eduard has just the tiniest bit more...goodness, shall we say.  I found one spot where the Tamiya has better detail, though.  That is with respect to the radio mast.  The Tamiya has a tiny photo etched part that actually allows antenna wire to be routed through it, like the spool on the actual aircraft, making the rigging of the wire a lot easier, and more like the real deal, whereas the Eduard kit just has a little 'nub' on the mast.  Since antennas/aerials are one of my banes in model making, that small Tamiya detail brings that kit up a few notches in my view.

I've got a copy of the Tamiya kit; although I haven't scored an Eduard Mk. I, I've got and have built a bunch of their Mk. IXs and love them. I imagine it's a very close call between them although Eduard offers more options for variations within the marque. As for the radio mast, the 'nub' is plenty large enough to drill a mounting hole with a micro drill bit.

5 hours ago, seawinder said:

As for the radio mast, the 'nub' is plenty large enough to drill a mounting hole with a micro drill bit.

Ah...I hadn't considered that.  Thanks for the thought!

Happy to say that today, I receive my second Eduard Spitfire 'The Few' kit.  I think these may be of value to someone later on (I don't really care about financial value), but I want to build the airplanes in that kit.  SO...I bit the bullet and ordered a second 'The Few' kit.  I'm thrilled that I can, now, actually build those Spitfires and not worry that I've desecrated a unique Battle of Britain related model kit!

Don’t forget about overtrees- I skipped the special boxing and just got the raw plastic with Brassin wheels and exhausts.  You will $ave a lot of money this way.  I have plenty of Spitfire decals already 👍🏻👍🏻

Sprue Brothers still has the early Mk I overtrees in stock 

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/edu82151x.htm

Steve

On 11/17/2020 at 9:24 PM, Falconxlvi said:

Don’t forget about overtrees- I skipped the special boxing and just got the raw plastic with Brassin wheels and exhausts.  You will $ave a lot of money this way.  I have plenty of Spitfire decals already 👍🏻👍🏻

Sprue Brothers still has the early Mk I overtrees in stock 

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/edu82151x.htm

Steve

HI Steve, thanks for the thought...sorry it took me this log to acknowledge your comment.  Unfortunately, SprueBrothers is out of stock on both the early and late Mk. 1 overtrees, at least as of the time/date of this post.

1 hour ago, Curt B said:

HI Steve, thanks for the thought...sorry it took me this log to acknowledge your comment.  Unfortunately, SprueBrothers is out of stock on both the early and late Mk. 1 overtrees, at least as of the time/date of this post.

Oh no worries about getting back to me.  Rats, sorry to hear they are out of stock!  Definitely a good way to go about building on the cheap!

I finally got to the point of putting paint on my Tamiya Spitfire Mk. 1. The build went really well, and I’m using the black basing technique. I painted the underside using Tamiya XF-21 Sky. And I am thrilled with the results using Mr. Color C361 and C369, dark green and dark earth, respectively, for the upper camo colors.  Perfect colors, to my eyes!  Subtle colors, moderate contrast, unlike many other paints which make the Spitfire look almost toy-like, at least in my opinion.  Not these, though!

Edited by Curt B
2 hours ago, Curt B said:

I finally got to the point of putting paint on my Tamiya Spitfire Mk. 1. The build went really well, and I’m using the black basing technique. I painted the underside using Tamiya XF-21 Sky. And I am thrilled with the results using Mr. Color C361 and C369, dark green and dark earth, respectively, for the upper camo colors.  Perfect colors, to my eyes!  Subtle colors, moderate contrast, unlike many other paints which make the Spitfire look almost toy-like, at least in my opinion.  Not these, though!

I wanna see pictures Curt!  I am going to do a Spitfire Mk I/II extravaganza soon with the Eduard and Tamiya kits! But first I need to finish my F-4 and 4x Bf 109Es 😌

5 hours ago, Curt B said:

Glad to hear your recommendation of the Mr. Color shades. I used MRP on my Airfix Mk. II and thought they looked very good, but Mr. Color is my current go-to brand, so I'll probably try them for the next TLS.

21 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

I wanna see pictures Curt!  I am going to do a Spitfire Mk I/II extravaganza soon with the Eduard and Tamiya kits! But first I need to finish my F-4 and 4x Bf 109Es 😌

Steve, will get some images posted here soonest...but you have to promise ME pictures of your F-4!! 😊  I hope the pictures come out showing what my eye sees.  Last night, I put a clear coat down (Alclad II Aqua Gloss) in prep for decals and panel line wash, so pictures will be a bit trickier than with a more dull surface.  My technique, recently, is, once the decals (and line wash) are down, I seal the plane with another gloss clear coat, followed by a matte coat (AK Ultra Matte Varnish, my absolute favorite flat finish, water based, no smell, works super!), and THEN a light coat of semi gloss clear (can’t recall the brand at the moment) but in this case, I may include some amount of tint to knock back the ‘brightness’ of the decals.  Anyway, that’s the plan, photos at current state coming soon!!

Edited by Curt B

Steve and everyone, here are some very quick and dirty photos of my Spitfire, such as it is at the moment.  The point of these pictures is only to show the colors of the camo paint, nothing else.  This was painted with Mr. Color C361 and C369 lacquer, dark green and dark earth.  My personal opinion as that these colors are more subtle than some other choices, and that, combined with the black basing technique, makes for a nice camo effect.  I intentionally left, in some areas, a significant amount of the black primer coat showing through.  Some of the particularly dark areas will be covered by the roundel decals.  You might not think this looks as good as I do (the paint, not my technique 😊), but at least you can see what it looks like, and maybe decide if you want to use these paints on your Spitfire.

50679677441_4d02054a36_o.jpg 

50679753752_a42b1b56fe_o.jpg

50678922388_d8f06464c4_o.jpg

Edited by Curt B
On 12/4/2020 at 12:13 PM, Curt B said:

Steve and everyone, here are some very quick and dirty photos of my Spitfire, such as it is at the moment.  The point of these pictures is only to show the colors of the camo paint, nothing else.  This was painted with Mr. Color C361 and C369 lacquer, dark green and dark earth.  My personal opinion as that these colors are more subtle than some other choices, and that, combines with using the black basing technique, makes for a nice camo effect.  I intentionally left, in some areas, a significant amount of the black primer coat showing through.  Some of the particularly dark areas will be covered by the roundel decals.  You might not think this looks as good as I do (the paint, not my technique 😊), but at least you can see what it looks like, and maybe decide if you want to use these paints on your Spitfire.

50679753752_a42b1b56fe_o.jpg

50678922388_d8f06464c4_o.jpg

Coming along nicely Curt!  The camo pattern is really well done and the colors look good to me.  I’m looking forward to seeing this one finished up👍🏻

Steve

On 12/5/2020 at 1:52 PM, Falconxlvi said:

Coming along nicely Curt!  The camo pattern is really well done and the colors look good to me.  I’m looking forward to seeing this one finished up👍🏻

Steve

Thank you, sir!

I have some pictures of the finished airplane, Steve, I’ve just been too lazy to post the images.  I’ll try to get them up here soon!!

Edited by Curt B
14 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

It looks very nice Curt!  Are you going to build the Eduard kit soonish to compare it?  

Steve

Thanks for the kind words, Steve.  

Frankly, I'm debating on what to build next.  Just this morning, I reached the 'give up' stage on my Eduard Bf109E-3 build.  I have gotten really frustrated with the fit of the engine panels, because that kit allows for both an open engine cowling and a closed option.  The closed version is what I was/am going for, but the the fit of the 4 cowling panels for the closed option is simply not very good.  I found this really surprising, and it's the first significant fit issue I've encountered on ANY Eduard kit I've built, thus far.  What is even more disappointing is that the Eduard 1/48 Adlerangriff kit that I recently got, the one that you can build two Emil variant planes, uses the same moldings.  CRAP!  So, I've set the E-3 aside.  Just like my Dora, which I stopped working on several times in frustration, but ultimately did complete at the urging of my wife, I'm hoping I will come back to it one day in the not too distant future.  I'm not thrilled with the prospect of the Adlerangriff builds, though, unless I do them with an exposed engine.  We will see, I guess.

Regarding going on to the Eduard Spitfire Mk. 1, I'd really like to do that, in particular for the comparison with the Tamiya version, especially while the Tamiya build is still fresh in my mind, but I'm not that excited about doing the same paint job on another plane, right in a row.  I certainly will be doing a black/white underside on at least one of the 2 Eduard Spits, but the topside camo will be essentially identical to the Tamiya Spit, and I like a little variety in my builds. 😊  I was really thinking about doing a Tamiya 1/48 F-16C/N Aggressor, or the GWH MiG-29 Fulcrum C 9-13.  I'm leaning toward the MiG, right this second, but I also have that Strike Eagle waiting in the wings, too...  Decisions, decisions...

Edited by Curt B

Curt,

This may be a really dumb question on my part, but do the Bf 109E-3 Profipack instructions include the following step for shaving and removing plastic from the engine block and guns to fit the closed cowling?  This is from the Adlerangriff instructions:

mlPyclP.jpg

If you haven’t removed the red areas, you need to 😉👍🏻

Steve

and definitely build the Strike Eagle!

1 hour ago, Falconxlvi said:

Curt,

This may be a really dumb question on my part, but do the Bf 109E-3 Profipack instructions include the following step for shaving and removing plastic from the engine block and guns to fit the closed cowling?  This is from the Adlerangriff instructions:

mlPyclP.jpg

If you haven’t removed the red areas, you need to 😉👍🏻

Steve

and definitely build the Strike Eagle!

Steve,

Not dumb at all, thank you for mentioning it.  But even my addled brain was swift enough to catch those details, which I, in fact, did!  It turns out that even removing the plastic areas that Eduard directs in their instructions (and I can tell you that you absolutely MUST remove what they tell you to, AT A MINIMUM), but there is still a lack of a good fit of the 2 top cowl pieces.  You have to work a bit to fit the 2 side pieces, A2 and A5, but they eventually will more or less fit.  However, the top 2 cowl pieces require a bunch of delicate yet significant sanding of various spots on those two parts, and even then, at least in my case, I had to apply an extraordinary amount of pressure to get A8 to seat with the appropriate minimal gap between that part and the fuselage sides, and then, not quite so much pressure to get A3 to seat with an appropriate (read: minimal) gap between it and the fuselage.  There are very small lips where A3 meets A2, A5 and A8, but no alignment pins or any other plastic to get A8 to align onto the fuselage (i.e. the bottom of it); you just have to do your best alignment by eye and feel and then press like heck for an extended period (or use a clamps, which I tried but knocked it out of alignment, so I went back to a lengthy manual hold) while the glue dries.  Maybe this was just my particular kit, where the plastic got a little funky, and I hope that's the case.  As I wrote before, this is the first and only time in all the Eduard kits I've built where I've had even a tiny bit of a fit issue.

And, Strike Eagle is on the radar...but I'm going to try one more easy build before I tackle that guy.  I decided to do the Tamiya 1/48 IL-2 Shturmovik, which I so graciously received from my Huey pilot buddy Rob, and it looks like a typical shake and bake airplane, but also looks really cool...and which should be a good lead-in to the F-15E!  😊  Be ready for lots of questions on that one, Steve.  By the way, do you have any opinion on the Phase Hangar Resin pylons for the F-15?  Should I consider those, and if so, which model pylons for the 15E? 

Whose Strike Eagle? I just finished the Revell two days ago and thoroughly enjoyed the build. Photos here in case you want to take a look:

https://seawinder.smugmug.com/2020-Models/F-15E-Strike-Eagle/

You mentioned the GWH MiG-29. I also built one of those this year. It's a beautiful kit, but be prepared for some fit issues with the lower engine covers. I found it worked better to attach the front and rear sections first, getting as good a fit as possible, and then attaching the assembly to the frame. You can also leave out most of the engine if you're doing it closed up.

50 minutes ago, seawinder said:

Whose Strike Eagle? I just finished the Revell two days ago and thoroughly enjoyed the build. Photos here in case you want to take a look:

https://seawinder.smugmug.com/2020-Models/F-15E-Strike-Eagle/

You mentioned the GWH MiG-29. I also built one of those this year. It's a beautiful kit, but be prepared for some fit issues with the lower engine covers. I found it worked better to attach the front and rear sections first, getting as good a fit as possible, and then attaching the assembly to the frame. You can also leave out most of the engine if you're doing it closed up.

Oh, thanks a million...I will definitely check out your build.  My F-15E is the Great Wall Hobby one, though.

Regarding the GWH MiG-29, thanks for the warning/info.  I have the 9-13 version of the -29.  And I also have the aftermarket Amigo exhausts (AMG 48011) and I'm not sure whether the fit issues you had would apply to those exhausts, though I absolutely will consider your advice as I get to that point in the build.

On 12/19/2020 at 10:59 PM, Curt B said:

Steve,

Not dumb at all, thank you for mentioning it.  But even my addled brain was swift enough to catch those details, which I, in fact, did!  It turns out that even removing the plastic areas that Eduard directs in their instructions (and I can tell you that you absolutely MUST remove what they tell you to, AT A MINIMUM), but there is still a lack of a good fit of the 2 top cowl pieces.  You have to work a bit to fit the 2 side pieces, A2 and A5, but they eventually will more or less fit.  However, the top 2 cowl pieces require a bunch of delicate yet significant sanding of various spots on those two parts, and even then, at least in my case, I had to apply an extraordinary amount of pressure to get A8 to seat with the appropriate minimal gap between that part and the fuselage sides, and then, not quite so much pressure to get A3 to seat with an appropriate (read: minimal) gap between it and the fuselage.  There are very small lips where A3 meets A2, A5 and A8, but no alignment pins or any other plastic to get A8 to align onto the fuselage (i.e. the bottom of it); you just have to do your best alignment by eye and feel and then press like heck for an extended period (or use a clamps, which I tried but knocked it out of alignment, so I went back to a lengthy manual hold) while the glue dries.  Maybe this was just my particular kit, where the plastic got a little funky, and I hope that's the case.  As I wrote before, this is the first and only time in all the Eduard kits I've built where I've had even a tiny bit of a fit issue.

And, Strike Eagle is on the radar...but I'm going to try one more easy build before I tackle that guy.  I decided to do the Tamiya 1/48 IL-2 Shturmovik, which I so graciously received from my Huey pilot buddy Rob, and it looks like a typical shake and bake airplane, but also looks really cool...and which should be a good lead-in to the F-15E!  😊  Be ready for lots of questions on that one, Steve.  By the way, do you have any opinion on the Phase Hangar Resin pylons for the F-15?  Should I consider those, and if so, which model pylons for the 15E? 

Howdy Curt,

The Phase Hanger resin pylons are gorgeous!  Just remember that if you are building any F-15E from about the last 20 years or so, you want the LAU-128s and not the LAU-114s.  The LAU-128s permitted AMRAAMs to be carried on stations 2a/b and 8a/b.   If you are planning on putting missiles on all the underwing stations, like 2 AMRAAMs outboard and 2 AIM-9s inboard, then I’m not sure I would buy the resin pylons since all that detail will be hidden.   We generally carried just two missiles over Afghanistan except for the very beginning of the campaign.  Jets operating over Syria are loaded up a bit more with missiles as any research will show you (due to friendly neighborhood Flankers around 😅).   

Steve

On 12/22/2020 at 8:50 AM, Falconxlvi said:

Howdy Curt,

The Phase Hanger resin pylons are gorgeous!  Just remember that if you are building any F-15E from about the last 20 years or so, you want the LAU-128s and not the LAU-114s.  The LAU-128s permitted AMRAAMs to be carried on stations 2a/b and 8a/b.   If you are planning on putting missiles on all the underwing stations, like 2 AMRAAMs outboard and 2 AIM-9s inboard, then I’m not sure I would buy the resin pylons since all that detail will be hidden.   We generally carried just two missiles over Afghanistan except for the very beginning of the campaign.  Jets operating over Syria are loaded up a bit more with missiles as any research will show you (due to friendly neighborhood Flankers around 😅).   

Steve

Hi Steve,

I appreciate the info...and of course, where ELSE would I go for Strike Eagle info?? 😊😊   I'm debating now, about the loading of my upcoming E model.  I certainly wouldn't want to cover up any super detailing, for sure! The IL-2 airplane build is going real well, and it may turn out that it gets finished sooner than I anticipated, hence the Eagle may get started even sooner than I expected.  I doubt that it will be a Happy New Year airplane start, but one never knows...!

I hope you are home for Christmas, and my best to you and your family!

Curt

Edited by Curt B
21 hours ago, Curt B said:

Hi Steve,

I appreciate the info...and of course, where ELSE would I go for Strike Eagle info?? 😊😊   I'm debating now, about the loading of my upcoming E model.  I certainly wouldn't want to cover up any super detailing, for sure!  I don't have   The IL-2 airplane build is going real well, and it may turn out that it gets finished sooner than I anticipated, hence the Eagle may get started even sooner than I expected.  I doubt that it will be a Happy New Year airplane start, but one never knows...!

I hope you are home for Christmas, and my best to you and your family!

Curt

Thanks Curt, yes I am indeed home for Christmas, spending time with the littles, and I’ve been working on the F-4E and a P-47M 👍🏻
xMdET5i.jpg

Steve

Steve,

Glad you get to be home for Christmas!  

Your P-47M cockpit looks great!  I LOVED building that airplane, but for some odd reason, I stalled on the build.  I got the cockpit done, and the fuselage and wings together...and then just simply stalled.  No good reason...it's a beautiful airplane and an equally lovely model.  I will, of course, get back to it.  Maybe what caught me was reading that 35 or so part build video series that Doogs did on this plane, in the same livery as what I have been planning on (the multiple blue over NMF), and maybe it was just knowing I couldn't compete with the level of detail, and care, that Matt did on his model. 

Oh well, I know that a bubbletop P-47, Hunhunter XIV, is in my future, a full NMF plane when I do that one...and I'm looking forward to it.