Any P-38F/G Variants in NMF?

Hi All,

I've tried to research my thread question, but have come up blank thus far.  Obviously, many of the later P-38 variants had natural metal finishes, but I am curious as to whether there is any documented evidence that any P-38F/G/H models were ever delivered or flown in a natural metal 'paint' scheme.  Like I am sure many of you are, I am anxiously awaiting an announcement or release of a 1/48 Tamiya P-38J/L variant, so we can build a then-Captain Richard Bong 'Marge" P-38(J?).  However, were any earlier variant P-38s finished in colors other than the ubiquitous green over gray?

Edited by Curt B

I don't think would of been delivered unpainted. Some had their paint removed in field. Most common would of been war weary hacks but there were others like below.

5ZoCwzs.jpg

A number of U.S. and Australian Photo recon units used stripped down photo recon ships. 34th PRS below. Off the top of my head the  8th & 9th PRS

did along with an Australian unit.

9NHNmPz.jpg

Mike

Wow, thanks for the info!  Looks like it would have been a pretty rare occurrence, to see an early variant P-38 in NMF.  But, if one had the wherewithal to do some scratch building to turn the Tamiya P-38F/G into a photo recon airplane, NMF looks like it could be done!  Neat!

On page 24 of the 1990 edition of "P-38 Lightning in Action" is a photo of an NMF P-38F.  The photo's caption says its an ex-RAF Lightning II, but the unit, pilot and location are unknown.  Some interesting details - the aircraft has five kill markings, and the prop blades appear to be NMF also!  Would love to know more about this aircraft - it would definitely be a 'different' P-38F to model.

Edited by arg
On 11/13/2020 at 5:11 PM, P-38 guy said:

I don't think would of been delivered unpainted. Some had their paint removed in field. Most common would of been war weary hacks but there were others like below.

5ZoCwzs.jpg

A number of U.S. and Australian Photo recon units used stripped down photo recon ships. 34th PRS below. Off the top of my head the  8th & 9th PRS

did along with an Australian unit.

9NHNmPz.jpg

Mike

P-38 Guy, I’m interested in any info you might have on that top photo.  Is that P-38H-5 42-66865?  Is that a late war hack with the 475th FG?  

thanks!

Corey

I've gone back and dug out the original and there's no info on the back. I've always been a bit stumped on this one. The artwork on the nose I haven't seen anywhere else. Looks like a woodpecker maybe. The closest i've seen to it is the 67th FS unit emblem and it's boxing rooster. No idea about the serial except the last three being 865 and that's looking at it with a loupe.

One of many mystery photo's I have.

Mike

6 minutes ago, P-38 guy said:

I've gone back and dug out the original and there's no info on the back. I've always been a bit stumped on this one. The artwork on the nose I haven't seen anywhere else. Looks like a woodpecker maybe. The closest i've seen to it is the 67th FS unit emblem and it's boxing rooster. No idea about the serial except the last three being 865 and that's looking at it with a loupe.

One of many mystery photo's I have.

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike.  I went through the P-38 serials on Joe Baugher’s page and 42-66865 is the only serial that makes sense for that airplane.  Baugher doesn’t have any info for 865 specifically, but the other planes with similar serials served with the 347th or 475th fighter groups.  
The 67th FS is a good guess, it was a component squadron of the 347th and the rooster kinda looks like a squadron emblem.  

anyway, thanks for posting that photo, I’ve really enjoyed looking at it!

corey

• 4 months later...

Greetings, All,

Sorry to be a late-comer to the topic but I thought I'd share concerning the question of NMF P-38G/H and J-models coming into the ETO (specifically England).  The photo of "My-Little De-Icer" caught my attention from a Google search today.  That plane was a hand-me-down from the 8th AAF at Mt Farm and was originally finished in shadow shaded OD.  With newer types coming into country the 8th AF spun-off this plane and it was transferred to the 9th AF where it would land with the 10th PRG at Chalgrove.  This is where it was stripped of paint, among other things, and readied for work on what we call the "Dicing" missions in preparation for D-Day.  Some of the original colours from the 8th AF were retained and 786 wore these colours until declared war-weary and consigned as a squadron hack as "WW-12786" with an all red paint job now named the "Red Demon". 

Spring 1944 saw F-5B's coming into England in NMF but up to then the Lightnings were painted in Haze then Synthetic Haze and finally OD before shipping in NMF.  Yes, PRU Blue was used but that was usually applied at the depot after arriving in the UK.  Many of the P-38J's coming into the 34th PRS were in PRU, painted at the depot, after D-Day with new replacements coming as NMF afterward.  You can tell the replacement a/c that arrived after D-Day as they are F-5E-2-LO, in the case of the 34th PRS, in PRU Blue sans invasion stripes.  It usually wasn't long before these J-models were stripped to bare metal to save weight and gain speed.  By the time the L-models were making their way to the unit they arrived as NMF just as the first H-models had back in March/April of 1944.

I hope this helps,

Rich Faulkner

34th PRS Online!

www.34thprs.org

Edited by 34th PRS
just because
  • 1 month later...