Mach2 1/72 DC-8-30/50 Series

Oh boy, if they do a -71 I’m in. Would look great in UAL markings next to the 1/72 6/7/9...unless it’s a total pig. I skipped their 1/72 Caravelle, the fuselage windows not lining up with the cockpit windows kinda ruins the UAL white/blue scheme.

Edited by Charlie D.
2 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

Did you ever build one the Mach2-kits? 😉

HAJO

I have the EC-24N and a -50 on order, I have a few of their later releases in the stash and have heard the horror stories. I will get to the them and build them when the time comes. They can be made into very nice models 😉

HAJO, I understand the angst.  My mentor used to say, "In order to build a great kit, you need to start with at least a good kit!"  I am not a super detailer, but do appreciate the finer details and correct shapes.  So, caveat emptor!

Edited by Dutch
  • 1 month later...

I am definitely interested in the USN EC-24. I've wanted to build that jet for a long time. However, a Mach 2 kit????  Having read the horror stories about their kits, I have serious doubts about buying one. I think that one of you guys will have to be the guinea pig 😆 Fred K.

• 2 weeks later...

My DC-8 with Pan Am markings showed up the day after Christmas. It's rough, but with some model building skills and effort, will make a real nice model in 1/72 scale.

I,ll treat it as a vacuum form kit when it comes to construction techniques. 

I plan to recast the cockpit clear part, mold it in resin to refine it as a master, then vacuum for a new cleared part.

The plastic seems soft. Kind of like Heller's plastic, so a long bead of Apoxie Sculpt will run down the upper wing half to act as a spar. I may even add a steal rod.

I hope a metal gear set will be made for it.

I've been in touch with Vintage Flyers Decals. When he gets his copy of the kit, he'll be scaling up all his liveries and vinyl masks to accommodate this kit.

I'll try to get some images in Photo Bucket, and post pics of the kit.

Tracy

Well after seeing some posts and pics online, the kit doesn't look half bad, and seems to fit well enough. Soooo..... I took the plunge and just ordered the Iberian boxing, and the EC-24. Hopefully I won't regret it! Fred K.

9 hours ago, f5guy said:

Well after seeing some posts and pics online, the kit doesn't look half bad, and seems to fit well enough. Soooo..... I took the plunge and just ordered the Iberian boxing, and the EC-24. Hopefully I won't regret it! Fred K.

Fred, You are the penultimate Guinea pig!  We thank you!  The modeling community thanks you!  In fact, the entire world thanks you!  😎  K/r, Dutch

11 hours ago, Dutch said:

Fred, You are the penultimate Guinea pig!  We thank you!  The modeling community thanks you!  In fact, the entire world thanks you!  😎  K/r, Dutch

Heh heh.... thanks Dutch! I'm kind of dumb like that 🤣 Fred.

On 11/13/2020 at 4:18 PM, Charlie D. said:

Oh boy, if they do a -71 I’m in. Would look great in UAL markings next to the 1/72 6/7/9...unless it’s a total pig. I skipped their 1/72 Caravelle, the fuselage windows not lining up with the cockpit windows kinda ruins the UAL white/blue scheme.

Charlie, Don't count on Mach 2 molding a long body DC-8.  The mold is set for the short body DC-8s.  Transport Wings (UK) offers the long body DC-8-63 in 1/72 scale which is a very sturdy kit & well molded with excellent detail and resin and metal parts.  I had one in the KLM livery, but sold it with my entire stash ~ 20 years ago.  I have been rebuilding my stash ever since.   [kicking myself]  Anyway, you could find spare 1/72 CFM-56 engines easily enough.  HTH, Dutch

1 minute ago, Dutch said:

Your welcome!  Heh heh...   I can get two or almost three Minicraft 1/144 DC-8s for the price of one Mach 2 1/72 DC-8, so I may just go that route.  K/r, Dutch

I hear you Dutch. My original plan was to build the EC-24, along with several other larger subjects, in 1/144th scale, but that BPK T-43 kit really changed all of that for me. I don't know if its the eye appeal of the larger kit, or just the fact that its in the same scale as most of my other builds, but that T-43/737 kit has really kicked my interest in 72nd scale large aircraft and airliners up a notch! Heck, I even bought the Modelsvit 1/72 AN-124 Condor. Talk about BIG! But seriously cool at the same time. If they did a 72nd C-5 too, I'd be on that as well 😁 Take care, Fred.

32 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Charlie, Don't count on Mach 2 molding a long body DC-8.  The mold is set for the short body DC-8s.  Transport Wings (UK) offers the long body DC-8-63 in 1/72 scale which is a very sturdy kit & well molded with excellent detail and resin and metal parts.  I had one in the KLM livery, but sold it with my entire stash ~ 20 years ago.  I have been rebuilding my stash ever since.   [kicking myself]  Anyway, you could find spare 1/72 CFM-56 engines easily enough.  HTH, Dutch

Thanks Dutch! I forgot about that kit. When I finally saw the sprues I came to the same conclusion....nothing in the mold looked like it was set up for the stretch models. I could buy two and do the stretch myself but I might as well get the transport wings kit, probably same amount of work!

Here's some pics with a nice size comparison...

1227200105.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

This is an easy fix...

1229200158a.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

1/144 DC-8-71

0108210220.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Can't wait to start on it. Looking forward to upgrading the clear cockpit class. The front office ain't bad.

Tracy