Mig-31 Early production

Hi Russian jet experts,

What would it be the best kit for an early production Mig-31 in 1/48 escale and also, what is needed to make it more accurate?

I believe the exhausts were different, but I am sure there is something else.

Thank you in advance.

Juan

Greetings, There is only one set on the market that allows you to build an early MiG-31 - this is HobbyBoss.

Unfortunately, in order to make an early MiG-31 from AMK, in addition to the engine nozzles, it is necessary to change the inside of the air intakes.

This is the main mistake of all subsequent MiG-31 kits from HobbyBoss - early air intakes.

At one time I thought to make the correct air intakes for HobbyBoss, but refused it. And at AMK he planned to release a conversion kit in order to convert it into an early type.

In addition, what can be purchased for HobbyBoss:
1. early engine nozzles, I release them.
2.cannon
3.wheels.
4. pitot tubi - better Model master, there is mine, but he is not successful, the master has a better one.
5. Wheels - there is a large selection - in my opinion, the favorites are ResKit and Eduard.

The main difference between the early MiG-31s is the different engine nozzles and the lack of air refueling.
The rest is all the same.
If you need a roll of an early model, send mail and send an archive.

DSCF6234.JPG

DSCF6238.JPG

The HobbyBoss 1:48 Mig-31 also come with an incorrect nose profile, which can be corrected by getting the nose from Amigo models / Advanced modelling.  I have both the HobbyBoss 1:48 Mig-31 B/BM and AMK Mig-31 B/BS ( with the sold out Mig-31 detail set from AMK.).  Comparing the two kits, I dare to say the HobbyBoss is the better kit ( correct gun pod size, better surface details, correct welding panel lines on the side slab of the main fuselage )....though the Internet does sway people's judgement on what kit is better (if you listen to the marketing people). It is a pity the HobbyBoss kit has very poor aftermarket support.

There were quite a few variants if one includes prototypes, but the early version mentioned here would be the initial production MiG-31 (without the refueling probe which came later with production standard 01-DZ). B/BS came in the early 90s.

Edited by ijozic
On 11/14/2020 at 8:07 PM, Jeffrey said:

The HobbyBoss 1:48 Mig-31 also come with an incorrect nose profile, which can be corrected by getting the nose from Amigo models / Advanced modelling.  I have both the HobbyBoss 1:48 Mig-31 B/BM and AMK Mig-31 B/BS ( with the sold out Mig-31 detail set from AMK.).  Comparing the two kits, I dare to say the HobbyBoss is the better kit ( correct gun pod size, better surface details, correct welding panel lines on the side slab of the main fuselage )....though the Internet does sway people's judgement on what kit is better (if you listen to the marketing people). It is a pity the HobbyBoss kit has very poor aftermarket support.

wow this is new. Enlighten me sir since all posts regarding 1/48 mig-31 before this is favouring the AMK kit.