CD48201 - 1/48 F-15A/B ADTAC Eagles

Can one of you help with the 5th FIS badge exactly as it was applied to the unit's F-15As? There are many photos of different variations of the badge online as well as reproductions applied on museum aircraft; I need a period photo on an operational aircraft of the unit. Perhaps Ikar can help?

Any chance of some late Eagle's with the tailcodes?

I know Repliscale did a sheet with a 'TC' 318th option but they weren't the best quaility even back in the early 90's when new.

2942140983_45738e0de6_o

And the late 48th FIS at Langley with 'LY' codes have never been done before.

Screenshot_2020-11-18 F-15A 48th FIS LY 1988

20 hours ago, KursadA said:

Can one of you help with the 5th FIS badge exactly as it was applied to the unit's F-15As? There are many photos of different variations of the badge online as well as reproductions applied on museum aircraft; I need a period photo on an operational aircraft of the unit. Perhaps Ikar can help?

Are you still looking for photos? I can dig around and come up with aome help and email you what I come up with.

1 hour ago, Falcon053 said:

Are you still looking for photos? I can dig around and come up with aome help and email you what I come up with.

Definitely - I would like to get this right, I was able to find period photos for every badge I need except this one.

On 11/18/2020 at 12:58 AM, KursadA said:

I just searched my (incomplete) collection of KokuFan from '85-'86 and came up empty.  😞

Embroidered badges / printed badges are usually significantly different in style from what actually goes on to the aircraft, so the hundreds of various badge photos on the Internet are not very helpful - thanks, though.

Duane sent a few scans from the Logan book, and upon careful examination it looks like it is the same version applied on the unit's F-106s in the last few years. Luckily there are some good shots of the unit's F-106s from the AMARC graveyards where the details are clear enough - so we will go with this. 

I should be able to finish the design in a day or so. Thanks!

I was surprised that not many photos are out there of the 5th FIS. The Don Logan book only had 2 pages for the 5th, the other squadrons had more. I can go through my slides and see if I have any useful photos and try and get them to you.

Duane

This sheet will have the following options:

• F-15A 76-0111, 318th FIS commander's aircraft
  • F-15A 76-0105, 318th FIS
  • F-15B 76-0139, 318th FIS
  • F-15A 76-0114, 48th FIS commander's aircraft (?)
  • F-15A 76-0113, 48th FIS
  • F-15B 75-0086, 48th FIS
  • F-15A 76-0015, 5th FIS commander's aircraft 
  • F-15A 76-0058, 5th FIS
  • F-15B 76-0128, 5th FIS 

Almost done - from suggestion to design in less than 48 hours 🙂  The 5th FIS badge is still being worked on and will take its place on the sheet (the empty white disc on the draft image) when done.

In my zeal to fit everything on one sheet, I ended up breaking up the elements of the 5th FIS tail and was able to come up with a more compact design - but you will have detailed instructions to place everything accurately. I will share the final draft when done - this still needs some work to adjust the colors and number the elements.

cd48201draft.jpg

Edited by KursadA
On 11/18/2020 at 2:22 AM, jenshb said:

Would you consider printing these in 1:32 as well?  Would love to paint up my big Eagle with one of those glorious tail markings...

Jensen, I hope you are not hold your breath while asking such question here...as it is pointless. You will just get disappointed.

3 hours ago, Gator52 said:

Nice, don’t believe I’d ever seen the LY code before. 

Same with Homestead’s F-16s when they wore ZF tailcodes. Might be an idea for a new sheet...

LY Eagles

ZF Falcons

NO Falcons

WR Falcons (done already by another baby seal)

USMC Tomcats

Others?

20 minutes ago, Youngtiger1 said:

Jensen, I hope you are not hold your breath while asking such question here...as it is pointless. You will just get disappointed.

Folks, from a  return on investment standpoint, the 1/32 scale is just not working well for me. I tried a bunch of different approaches, and I will keep trying. I am not dismissing the possibility of doing this subject in your scale outright, but I will keep being very selective when it comes to 1/32 scale releases - sorry.

10 hours ago, KursadA said:

Folks, from a  return on investment standpoint, the 1/32 scale is just not working well for me. I tried a bunch of different approaches, and I will keep trying. I am not dismissing the possibility of doing this subject in your scale outright, but I will keep being very selective when it comes to 1/32 scale releases - sorry.

I appreciate that the market for 1:32 scale may be more limited than 48th and 72nd, but there isn't much in decal form for the 1:32 Eagle out there, and very little for the A, so in that sense they would have market appeal.  The 48th FIS and 5th FIS may lend themselves better to avoid large sheets, and another early Eagle with lots of colour is 73-0100 with the wide yellow bands outlined in black.  Anyway, I will add the 1:48th sheet to my purchase list.

4 hours ago, Dutch said:

Kursad, You are amazing!  That is super fast response time!  And can we expect the 1/72 release to follow a couple of months after?  K/r, Dutch

Thanks! I designed a bunch of F-15 sheets in the past; so it is a bit easier than designing ... say, a P-3 or B-47 sheet. 🙂

The 1/72 version will follow immediately after the 1/48 one - technically it is not a full ADTAC sheet without the Iceland unit (57th FIS), and I will have space on the sheet to rectify this in the 1/72 version.