Need help to find an RLM colour code and model paint

Ok so Ill start by saying Ive been on quite a few places now and keep coming up blank, and while this isnt the first place I thought of because of the subject I know you guys can usually come up with the right answer.

Im looking for the RLM colour code for the yellow MSC (Mediterranean Shipping Company).

Im sure you all know them, Im sure you have all seen them.

[url=https://ibb.co/SxsGp2Y][img]https://i.ibb.co/SxsGp2Y/570x320-ACS.jpg[/img][/url]

As you can see its a sort of a washed out yellow. Does anybody know how to find the RLM colour code for this paint?
I have written an email to MSC but they never answered. Ive asked a couple of manufacturers of models such as C-Rail but they didnt want to offer up an answer as to what colour they use either which leaves me at a dead end.

If you dont know the colour code or can offer a suggestion on how I can find it can you offer up an idea on what model paint I could look at to use for it.
Ive been looking for this colour for a good few months now and come up with nothing.

Any help or ideas really would be appreciated. 

Edited by ElectroSoldier
On 11/20/2020 at 3:46 AM, ElectroSoldier said:

Ok so Ill start by saying Ive been on quite a few places now and keep coming up blank, and while this isnt the first place I thought of because of the subject I know you guys can usually come up with the right answer.

Im looking for the RLM colour code for the yellow MSC (Mediterranean Shipping Company).

Im sure you all know them, Im sure you have all seen them.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/FWxCt9Z/570x320-ACS.jpg[/img]

As you can see its a sort of a washed out yellow. Does anybody know how to find the RLM colour code for this paint?
I have written an email to MSC but they never answered. Ive asked a couple of manufacturers of models such as C-Rail but they didnt want to offer up an answer as to what colour they use either which leaves me at a dead end.

If you dont know the colour code or can offer a suggestion on how I can find it can you offer up an idea on what model paint I could look at to use for it.
Ive been looking for this colour for a good few months now and come up with nothing.

Any help or ideas really would be appreciated. 

I think RLM 27 Dark Yellow is to sand coloured.

That colour has a code.

Maybe its not RLM... Maybe RAL?

On 11/23/2020 at 4:08 PM, ElectroSoldier said:

I think RLM 27 Dark Yellow is to sand coloured.

That colour has a code.

Maybe its not RLM... Maybe RAL?

I would agree. I doubt that is an RLM color. I don't even think the RLM system is used anymore as it was created by Germany during WWII and has been superseded by the RAL system. It is also quite possible that MSC has their own custom color that they use, though large multi-national corporations are more likely to use a system like RAL which is available all over the world.

2 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I know Maersk use a custom colour so I wouldnt be surprised if MSC do too which is maybe why nobody knows what it is and if they do they dont want to share it

Considering the amount of fading international containers experience, I think you could get away with starting with a yellow and adding white until it looked right.

20 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

I think your looking in the wrong place for a color match. Goto a model railroad shop. They'll have racks with commercial paint matches. I've seen everything from John Deer green to EMD dark red

gary

That was my second idea after I contacted MSC press office but I drew a blank there too.

I asked the guy who runs CRail who makes models of the containers and got no answer and I asked on RMWeb without an answer.
This was my last ditch effort. I dont really know where to go now.
If you have a particular place in mind then Im open to ideas.

10 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

That was my second idea after I contacted MSC press office but I drew a blank there too.

I asked the guy who runs CRail who makes models of the containers and got no answer and I asked on RMWeb without an answer.
This was my last ditch effort. I dont really know where to go now.
If you have a particular place in mind then Im open to ideas.

I remember that Model Master also had a similar line of paints. Still the model rail road community is huge, and their product lines dwarf what we think of.

gary

P.S. also a great place to shop for diorama supplies

And now, a container topic tangent; finally got around to getting a book about the history and impact of the shipping container & I procrastinated long enough that there is a new edition with one more chapter than original.

It, sadly, has no paint matching chart.

50678885967_cd38249547_z.jpg

50678885902_c51728e550_w.jpg

Edited by southwestforests
On 12/3/2020 at 10:41 AM, ElectroSoldier said:

Not entirely sure the 'press office' is the right contact for such things. You need to find out who makes the containers and ask them. The underlings for upper management probably wouldn't know and would likely not know how to find out, nor care to. OTOH, the guys who do the work on them would probably get a kick out of what you're up to and be happy to share-if there's an actual RAL code for the color. If not, you're matching it anyway. Easily done by anyone with a comprehensive color chip book.

Something else to keep in mind-many of the available yellows disappeared in the late 1980s (maybe earlier) because one of the common toners used in the mix contained lead. It was an issue back when I was restoring ground support equipment-not only trying to color match yellow units but stripping paint applied in the 1950s.

Edited by WymanV
no preview feature
16 hours ago, WymanV said:

Not entirely sure the 'press office' is the right contact for such things. You need to find out who makes the containers and ask them. The underlings for upper management probably wouldn't know and would likely not know how to find out, nor care to. OTOH, the guys who do the work on them would probably get a kick out of what you're up to and be happy to share-if there's an actual RAL code for the color. If not, you're matching it anyway. Easily done by anyone with a comprehensive color chip book.

Something else to keep in mind-many of the available yellows disappeared in the late 1980s (maybe earlier) because one of the common toners used in the mix contained lead. It was an issue back when I was restoring ground support equipment-not only trying to color match yellow units but stripping paint applied in the 1950s.

Wow...

Yeah...

I didnt ask if they knew the colour, I asked if they had contact details for something I could ask.

Its like the company I work for, if you wrote to the press office with a question about something to do with production they wouldnt have the answer but they would have an email address for something who can help you.

On 11/19/2020 at 7:46 PM, ElectroSoldier said:

You said in one of the other threads that a good color match doesn't look right on a model.  Therefore, just pick out a yellow such as Reefer Yellow or Mission Models Yellow and add white to it until it "looks right" to you.

On 11/20/2020 at 3:46 AM, ElectroSoldier said:

1 hour ago, RichardL said:

You said in one of the other threads that a good color match doesn't look right on a model.  Therefore, just pick out a yellow such as Reefer Yellow or Mission Models Yellow and add white to it until it "looks right" to you.

If you read what I said it does say if you dont know that actual colour then a colour I could use is close enough.