Rectangular part under seatbelts?

Hey All,

Maybe stupid question, but can anyone tell me what the rectangular part is, that I have most often seen in Eduard aftermarket prop aircraft seatbelts?  It seems like it's an odd part, but seems to be present on many seatbelt sets, and typically goes under one of  the 2 seatbelts in a set.  I hope some of you would understand what I'm talking about without photos, but if no one understands what I'm referring to, a picture may be needed.  So...any ideas?  Thanks!

Edited by Curt B

The parts that are usually a darker brown in the eduard sets? As far as I can tell those represent some sort of padded part that lies underneath the area where the harness parts are buckled together, probably to prevent the various metal parts from getting caught on clothing and stuff. Just the way some seatbelts are constructed I'd say.

Hi Shadrick,

Yes, those are the parts I'm referring to.  That would make sense, I guess.  I just can't picture those rather large pieces of padding or whatever sitting on top of the pilot's flight suits.  Although, I must remember that what constituted a 'flight suit' in those days was nothing like the rigs used today, with the anti-g and other complex components of a modern jet fighter pilot outfit.  Thanks for your thoughts.

15 hours ago, 11bee said:

As Steve said, it was a piece of leather. The ones I saw were pretty beat up and had weathered to a greasy dark brown color.    As a side note, those belts were the same ones used on UH-1 Hueys for the troop seats.   

Also used in the cockpit of  US Army UH-1 Hueys, OH-58 Kiowas, and AH-1 Cobras.  I can not speak of the other military services as I served in the Army and having flown 

those 3 aircraft while in.

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA