Using AK Real Colors for the first time: What do I need to know?

I'm primarily a Tamiya guy (ease of use, simplicity of cleanup), but I've recently picked up some AK Real Colors in an effort to improve accuracy of colors on my models. Mixing stuff up by eye just wasn't cutting it for me any longer.

I know the LEA acronym (lacquer, enamel, acrylic) to determine the order in which the various paints can be layered, but AK has me confused as their site describes their paints as "acrylic lacquers". OK...?

And what about cleanup after painting? I'm guessing Windex won't cut it any more.

AK Real Colors are acrylic lacquers.  Any paint that has lacquer in it as a carrier agent is considered a lacquer will require lacquer thinner.  You will need to use lacquer thinner for cleaning up, although isopropyl alcohol will also work.

They can be acrylic lacquers because acrylic doesnt actually mean water.

define acrylic - Google Search

Paint is made up of THREE things. Not two but three.

Pigment.

Binder

Carrier.

The Binder is what makes the pigment stick to the model youre painting... The pigment is the colour.

The carrier makes the gloopy binder move nice and easy so you can move it with a brush or thinned down even more sprayed with airbrush.

A binder is an emulsion. In an acrylic paint binder that emulsion has some water in it. That is all acrylic means and that is where I think people get confused and start to assume that to be a true acrylic it must be an acrylic binder with an water based carrier.

People will use the term "true acrylic" like it means something. it doesnt. An acrylic paint doesnt have to have a water based carrier, AK use a lacquer carrier.

You can lay down any paint types in any order as long as the previous layer is fully dry and cured.  I'm not talking about overnight dry time but at least a couple of days for acrylics and at least a week for enamels.  For instance, I've used lacquer clear coats over cured water based acrylics without any issues.

2 hours ago, RichardL said:

You can lay down any paint types in any order as long as the previous layer is fully dry and cured.  I'm not talking about overnight dry time but at least a couple of days for acrylics and at least a week for enamels.  For instance, I've used lacquer clear coats over cured water based acrylics without any issues.

Given the speed at which I produce models.... this should not be a problem. 😅

17 hours ago, goondman said:

You can also mix them with Tamiya acrylic without issue. At least i have 😉 . Definitely use Mr. Color leveling thinner

When I ordered the paints I ordered their thinner as well... not the best option?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 6:32 AM, Raceaddict said:

When I ordered the paints I ordered their thinner as well... not the best option?

Sorry for the delay. I have no  idea how their thinner performs. When i use mr leveling it lays down smooth and very easy to apply a gloss coat to