Golden Age of Modeling?

Hey All,

I don't know about you, but I am becoming overwhelmed by the number of new model kits that seem to keep coming out, of late.  I just saw the post about a new 1/48 Meng F-18E, and on the Modeling News, reports of new 1/48 MiG-15 and 15bis from Bronco.  New decal sheets for The Spitfire and Fw-190, and just a seeming never ending number of announcements of new models and accessories.  Now, of course we don't know about the quality of some of these new things that are going to be hitting the market soon, but the fact that things just keep expanding in our hobby, to me, is astounding!  In fact, while I have been extremely fortunate to be able, without TOO much thought for cost, to get most of what interests me, I am rapidly running out of room for new models in the stash, not to mention the room that would be needed if I even got CLOSE to building even 10% of what I have in unbuilt models...   I know that the term 'golden age of modeling' is probably too often overused and is a terrible clique, but has our hobby ever seen the kind of expansion, not only of new kits, but new manufacturers who have rapidly become almost as respected as the old flag bearers like Tamiya, Hasegawa, Monogram and Revell?  I am utterly thrilled, but equally frustrated at not knowing what to get, knowing that around the next corner is likely another kit that it will seem like I can't live without?  We are so very fortunate to be modelers in 2020, despite all the troubles that we are facing in the real world this year!

I would have to agree with you on that, even during this COVID pandemic the sheer amount of newly released models, and the high standards of those models is just amazing.

There was a company who earlier this year released a "model" of some birds. pigeons I think, and I know its only a little thing but its so telling of an ever expanding hobby when it can support such releases.

Back in my early years of modelling Italiaere not Italeri released the Me 321 Gigant. Now we have things so amazing it would have been impossible to even imagine them way back then.