Research problem contest

Here is a new thread and (hopefully) a fun activity: Get to solve my research problems and win decals! This way, I get to save some time and you get decals for having an eagle eye and/or great research skills.

The rules are easy:

• I will post some of my annoying research problems here under the "open research problems" title.
  • The first person to find a photo (online, from a book, or even a personal photo) that is good enough to be used for decal artwork wins a Caracal decal sheet of his choice.(*)

Interested? Hopefully we can keep this going for a while - I will try to post a new research problem every week, on average. Let me know what you think, and I will post the first problem(s) soon.

(*): If you are outside the US, you will have to pay for shipping - sorry.

Let's get this game started. I have a hunch that this will be answered quickly (Gator?), so I have a couple more in the queue.

Problem 1: Good photos of this version of the McConnell early B-1B tail flash have been elusive for me. The details would be very visible in 1/48, so I need a good photo taken almost at a right angle. This is usually difficult for B-1B tail flashes since the aircraft is pretty high.

Photos in Logan's book were of no help. I am providing the best photo I have.  Can you find a better one?

rprob2.jpg

Problem 2:  Consider the RA-5C Vigilante photo sections posted below. I have added some arrows to point to markings on the canopies.

Clearly these were standard stickers of some sort. They seem to have long disappeared on all of the preserved & museum jets I could find online.

The text on them will be impossible to read in any scale. I will just type something in there and it will look great(*).

But what did they say? There seem to be at least two varieties. There must be a close-up photo in someone's private album, right in the background. Or perhaps someone has a maintenance manual somewhere. I am curious enough that it is worth a free decal sheet to me. Can anyone help?

(*): Confession time: the long Russian stencilling right on top of the canopy sill on my Polish MiG-29 sheets contain the full text of Samuel Jackson's excellent rendition of the Bible verse from "Pulp Fiction" (The path of the righteous man..) . Don't worry, it is too small for your club buddy to read at the next contest.

rprob3a.jpg

rprob3b.jpg

rprob3c.jpg

Edited by KursadA
3 hours ago, KursadA said:

Let's get this game started. I have a hunch that this will be answered quickly (Gator?), so I have a couple more in the queue.

Problem 1: Good photos of this version of the McConnell early B-1B tail flash have been elusive for me. The details would be very visible in 1/48, so I need a good photo taken almost at a right angle. This is usually difficult for B-1B tail flashes since the aircraft is pretty high.

Photos in Logan's book were of no help. I am providing the best photo I have.  Can you find a better one?

rprob2.jpg

Not my photo, but from Bill Word on Flickr.

I only now realize that the keeper is clutching lightning bolts like the SAC fist, only with wheat stalks instead of olive branches... AWESOME!

9309886995_9c4c09c52d.jpg

Edited by BN7149
59 minutes ago, BN7149 said:

Not my photo, but from Bill Word on Flickr.

I only now realize that the keeper is clutching lightning bolts like the SAC fist, only with wheat stalks instead of olive branches... AWESOME!

9309886995_9c4c09c52d.jpg

Great find BN7149!

It is a drawing but this seems to be alikely answer for the A-5 details. I can't seem to find any actual pictures of the area

RA-5C.cu.03b.jpg

large one says  "In Emergency cut on red surround of canopy". Looks to have two of these on the aft canopy

small on is "pull handle to release canopy"

Sean