Research problem contest

We haven't done this in a while - so here is a new one.

Certainly there must be some better photos of Malmstrom's early KC-135R tails out there. This is the best one I have - can you help? As usual, you get a free decal sheet of your choice.

research_q03082021.jpg

BTW, that tail is from the late 301st Bomb Wing era & survived into the early 301st Air Refueling Wing timeframe, before they went all AMC gray and adopted the simple yellow tail band, mid 1990s.

1414497588_KC-135R_59-1475_43rdAMW_MalmstromAFB_FRA_25Jan96.thumb.jpg.c57b001f56d5ade5984b5140246cad42.jpg

Edited by Dutch
add photo

These are not my photos, but these are probably the best I've ever seen to illustrate the Malmstrom tail flash in any detail. It was one of the nicest looking in SAC in my opinion, but unfortunately one of the most elusive too since this era of the 301st was so short-lived.

-Ryan

FB_IMG_1615289181956.jpg

FB_IMG_1615289188549.jpg

FB_IMG_1615289192698.jpg

6 hours ago, BN7149 said:

These are not my photos, but these are probably the best I've ever seen to illustrate the Malmstrom tail flash in any detail. It was one of the nicest looking in SAC in my opinion, but unfortunately one of the most elusive too since this era of the 301st was so short-lived.

Thanks - we have a winner here! Thanks to everyone who helped out - what I needed were photographs clear enough to design quality artwork, and these photos certainly fit the bill. I will post another question fairly soon.

1 hour ago, Gator52 said:

Late to the party, but perhaps this one is also helpful-

T-62-3537-Malmstrom-r.jpg

Chris

That is a far better image than those I submitted. I'd like to humbly forfeit my prize to Gator52.

-Ryan

34 minutes ago, BN7149 said:

That is a far better image than those I submitted. I'd like to humbly forfeit my prize to Gator52.

-Ryan

You get a prize - Gator gets a prize - Everyone...no, wait.

JNhU5Tt.gif

8 hours ago, BN7149 said:

-Ryan

Thanks for the consideration Ryan, much appreciated!  I recently received a free sheet for a B-1 photo, so would have been happy to defer to you were it not for Kursad’s generosity-

Chris

1 hour ago, Gator52 said:

Thanks for the consideration Ryan, much appreciated!  I recently received a free sheet for a B-1 photo, so would have been happy to defer to you were it not for Kursad’s generosity-

Chris

I got a sheet for a B-1 photo, too, LOL. I have a passion (obsesssion?) for scouring the corners of the internet looking for great photos of obscure things like SAC aircraft and facilities in particular, so I'm just elated to have others who apparently share my affliction. 

As for Kursad, he is very generous indeed. I feel pretty spoiled to begin with just by virtue of the subject decals offered.

-Ryan

• 3 weeks later...

Kursad,

How about some nose art for that Malmstrom KC-135R 63-8039 in Shamu color scheme that I posted on 8 March?  This photocopy from IPMS USA Journal, Vol. 2, Iss. 3, April 1990, pg. 8. has two pics of KC-135R 63-8039, "Big Sky Flyer" of the 301st ARW, circa Fall 1989 for the Montana Centennial.

K/r, Dutch

EPSON002.thumb.jpg.cf4447374450957535ec2c7e15ffd963.jpg

Edited by Dutch
  • 1 month later...

Double prizes for this one. It has been frustrating me for a while now.

I am after the badge that appears on "Look Ma, No Hook" - the US Navy C-130 that landed and took off from USS Forrestal. I have a few photos and grainy stills from videos I found online. It is not the usual VR-1 badge used at the time - it must be something to do with this particular test.

The full badge design for this must be lurking somewhere on a publication, or a report, something from the period. It is an important airframe and I don't want to wing it. Is anyone up to the challenge?

c130q1.jpg c130q2.jpg

c130q3.jpg c130q4.jpg