Research problem contest

6 hours ago, KursadA said:

seriously? LOL...I thought I looked at every other naval test badge out there. 

I found it on like page 6 or 7 of google results for “ US navy flight test crest” 

Sean

• 1 year later...

Here is a new problem I am trying to solve - I need a good photo / drawing of the relatively short-lived 4130th Strategic Wing badge as it was applied to the B-52s based at Bergstrom AFB about 15 miles away from where I am sitting. Interestingly the Texas Military Forces Museum archive does not have much on the unit.

"Aging Buffs, Youthful Crews" has a series of excellent full-color photos of B-52 unit markings from the 1960s, all taken at AMARG during the 1970s/1980s before these airframes were scrapped. Unfortunately the 4130th is not one of them - having disappeared from Bergstrom B-52s after a few short years.

It is the badge you can see on this great Austin B-52 photo. There are a few low-resolution drawings on the interwebs that are not going to be of much help.

A little comparison here:

qqq.JPG.12a98b73eb672bcf2a81258189766261.JPG

B-52 Nose badge on left, Wiki in center and SAC history page on right.

The SAC version appears to be more accurate, though the bird, sword & cloud colors and angles are altered on the B-52 nose.  Considering that the nose badge was probably hand painted by whomever was the best artist in the unit at the time, some slight variation is to be expected.  Can you work with these, Kursad?

Also, FWIW, Wiki commons has another version.

BTW, the motto PAX NON DONUM means: "Peace is not a gift."

Edited by Dutch
add link

My reference book: Air Force Combat Wings; Lineage and Honors History 1947-1977 does not list the four-digit Strategic Wings.

Nor does Strategic Air Command People, Aircraft, and Missiles by Norman Polmar mention the 4130th Strategic Wing.

Edited by Dutch
add book
  • 3 weeks later...