Tamiya 1/48 F-16C/N

Hi All,

Since getting back into building airplane models again, while I've gotten a huge array of jet models in my stash, I haven't yet build one...everything so far have been propellor driven airplanes.  I've had an itch to build my first jet, and decided that I would ease into the jet arena with a Tamiya airplane, and I chose the F-16C/N Aggressor/Adversary kit, of which I have two.  Since I can never seem to leave anything alone, and not having any aftermarket stuff for these kits, I decided that before beginning this, I needed to get some.  So, I have the KA exhaust/afterburner set, and the Eduard stuff I have on the way:

F-16C/D Block 30/40/50/60 GE exhaust nozzle (open and closed) & afterburner set (Tamiya) MKA MA-48059 1  
F-16 early seat EDU 648001 1  
F-16C/N detail set EDU 49930 1  
F-16C/N undercarriage set EDU 49931 1  
F-16C/N masks EDU EX619 1  

Since I decided I wanted to make this airplane into a black/white/grey schemed Alaska-based Aggressor Squadron jet, I also have an Aero Mask set for this jet from Advanced Modeling Products, and, lastly, I have the Quinta QD48037 kit for the cockpit on order.  Anything else anyone can think of that I've overlooked?

Once all this stuff arrives, I will be ready to begin this jet journey and I'm looking forward to it!  In the interim, I'm working on my Tamiya Spitfire Mk. 1 and Eduard Bf109 E-3...

I'm just starting the same kit, but I'm doing it as a Block 32 in light blue/dark blue/neutral gray "Flanker" markings for Nellis. I've got various ACESII seats, but will probably use one from Sierra Hotel. I actually used the kit seat with Eduard PE belts and stuff on the Tamiya Block 25 I did some years ago and thought it looked pretty good. I bought an Eduard PE cockpit set, but only ended up using it for belts and the central section of the IP; I'll probably do the same thing for this one. I'm passing on the KA nozzle because the kit P&W exhaust looks good enough for me. I really like this kit and personally think it builds into a great looking model without a lot of extras.

Curt,

You picked a great kit to make the leap. It is very accurate and the detail oob is rock solid. Even w/o aftrermarket goodies you’d crank out a dang nice replica. Other nice building jets to sample would be the Tamiya F-14 and ZM F-4 just for starters. I mention these because they are recent additions to my own portfolio.

Thanks, guys.  I knew this Tamiya jet was a good one, which is why I got it.  

@BillS, I already have several jet kits in my collection, from which I was going to make my choice for first one to build.  Tamiya-wise, I have (all of these are 1/48) a second F-16C/N, F-117 (plus HumV) and the F-14D.  Zoukei-Mura-wise, I have their F-4C and F-4S, and plan on getting their new F-4E once the later version with wing slats comes out.  I have the ICM MiG-25PD, and the AMK F-14D and MiG-31BM/BSM, two Great Wall F-15C MSIP IIs and their F-15E on the way, their Mig-29 9-13, Su-35s, and their brand new Su-27UB, a HobbyBoss A-6E TRAM Intruder, and A-10, and Eduard MiG-21bis and F-86 Ultimate Sabre, MiG-23BN, two Hasegawa F-18Fs, the Hasegawa and Academy F-22s, the Kitty Hawk Su-17 M3/M4 Fitter K, plus  bunch of helicopters.  I had something of a hard time trying to figure out which one to start with.

Edited by Curt B
2 minutes ago, BillS said:

That’s a nice little pile to keep you going! You might chuck in a Hasegawa A-4 and a Wolfpack T-38 for more trouble free jet building!

Thanks for the thought.  Is there a specific Hasegawa A-4 kit that is particularly well engineered/fitting?  It looks like, from Scalemates, that they had a new tooling A-4 in 2000, and have been coming out with new parts for various A-4 kits for many years.  Any of these in particular that you'd recommend, though I'm partial to any variant with the hump on top of the fuselage?

I'm not aware of any significant engineering/build differences between the various Hasegawa boxings. FWIW I've built one A-4E/F and have an -M in the stash. I did the -E without the hump in high-vis Vietnam colors/markings, and I plan to do the M (obviously with hump) in a low-vis scheme. There are a decent number of appealing AM decals for both versions.

9 hours ago, Rob Mignard said:

Great choice Curt. Can’t wait to see your build

Hi Rob!!  Hope you and the family had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Let’s get together again soonest.