1/72 Revell (old) Lancaster diorama finally completed.

Hi all.

Was completing a Lancaster diorama. The Lancaster model is an old Revell I built for the Heavies GB , AC Matador and David brown Tractor are Airfix. Figures are from Airfix, CMK and Revell + at least two I made myself from other ones. I also scratch built a new maintenance tower. I call it: Getting ready ones more. Here are more photos

50656660043_3f38f53e34_b.jpg

50657393321_33eeb7bb78_b.jpg

50656659813_9b02f7933f_b.jpg

50656659793_b6fda64970_b.jpg

50656659763_cb87a663aa_b.jpg

50657485182_44a2e5be81_b.jpg

50656659623_08fa546a06_b.jpg

50656659558_2823dd7c87_b.jpg

50657392746_aff8a457f1_b.jpg

50657392621_ac53fc47e4_b.jpg

50657484777_0f03b9cee5_b.jpg

50657392481_2df6e63337_b.jpg

50657392456_6252e7be6f_b.jpg

If it might be allowable to insert a Google find, I have no knowledge whether this resembles how the factory during the period did the job but thought y'all would be interested.

"Blowing Lancaster Bomb Aimer's Bubble Nov 17, 2015 The continuing reconfiguration work of Avro Lancaster KB839 at the Greenwood Military Aviation Museum in Nova Scotia, Canada. Here, a new Plexiglas perspex is being blown for the bomb aimer's position in the nose."

2 hours ago, southwestforests said:

Busy day at the airfield! 

The figures look good, some old classics in there. 😁

In looking at the Flickr photos the construction of the engine maintenance stands caught my attention.

Also the fellow polishing the bomb aimer's perspex.

Thanks. 

Indeed. The only problem with the old Airfix ones is that they are made of that horrible soft plastic. So it rather hard to repair them. Taking the mold lines etc. But they are rather good considering their age. 

Yes I thought one wasn't enough so I had to build another one. Airfix should make a set with those small items in the bomber resupply set. As they have done with the Austin and the Bedford. If I remember correctly. 

I got the idea with the cleaning man when I saw a picture of a chap cleaning the front guns. But I didn't have anything tall enough to put a figure on. Then I found out that a figure standing on the fuel truck was the right size to be cleaning the bubble. Besides. There wouldn't be any space for a ladder and someone cleaning the guns.

That's an interesting video. But I think they must have used another method in the manufacturing.🙃

Best regards

Grétar W. G.

Edited by GretarBill
1 hour ago, GretarBill said:

The only problem with the old Airfix ones is that they are made of that horrible soft plastic. So it rather hard to repair them. Taking the mold lines etc.

The soft plastic 1/72 figure  manufacturer HaT has a good hints and modeling tips page but since it is not https this forum won't allow posting the link, so here is some text to plug in to a search engine and locate the page that way, 

Dated: August 26, 2003.

The following is a selection of tips sent in by various hobbyists. We thank all those who have sent tips in. See disclaimer at bottom of page.

Contents:
Preparation/Removal of flash
Conversions
Gluing
Painting
Miscellaneous

8 minutes ago, southwestforests said:

The soft plastic 1/72 figure  manufacturer HaT has a good hints and modeling tips page but since it is not https this forum won't allow posting the link, so here is some text to plug in to a search engine and locate the page that way, 

Thank you very much. 

I found the site. that's a lot of text.😬 But that's a brilliant way to get rid of the flash. With a hot paper clip or wire. I'll read the rest later. But a good site.

Thanks again

Grétar W. G.

39 minutes ago, GretarBill said:

Thanks again

My pleasure.

In 1980s and 1990s and early 2000s, up until my health crashed, I used these little 1/72 scale folks in primarily plastic with some metal, for WW2 miniatures gaming.

Last year got some Airfix Astronauts when they were re-released

for the Apollo 11 fiftieth anniversary.

If you are familiar with artist acrylic paints the gloss medium and/or matte medium make fairly decent undercoats for the soft plastic figures.

Especially since the artist acrylic paint has a little bit of flexibility.

Painted the colors with various acrylic model paints.

47 minutes ago, GretarBill said:

'll read the rest later.

And speaking of the word rest, I've been up all night, time to try to get some sleep.

Diorama looks good and it was fun to share the figure info.