Cold War goes hot, what’s my A-10 loadout look like?

2X AIM-9L/M on Sta 1 or 11

1 ALQ-131 or ALQ-119 (?) on opposite 1 or 11

either 3 AGM-65B or D on a LAU-88 or 1 AGM-65 B or D  on a LAU-117 (Probably squadron choice as LAU-88's were not used a lot in the late 80's but would probably be used in a shooting war)  B models on Sta's 3 or 9 and the D models opposite station

Depending on the mission, threat and a bunch of other issues, parent mounted Mk-82's on 4,5, 7,8

PP pod

11 minutes ago, mrvark said:

I believe that only AGM-65As & Bs could be carried on LAU-88s. Subsequent variants had a heavier warhead and could only be carried on LAU-117s.

Jim from what I remember, the IIR models required more power and the LAU-88's couldn't handle the extra loads. There was a later (much later) TCTO for the LAU-88's to handle the updated missiles. I have a pic some where of some Mass and CT A-10A+'s carrying LAU-88's when they were deployed for OIF. The LAU's were on Station 3 and the LITENING pod was on Station 9. 

Of course I could be wrong about the power thing but I did see them used in OIF. BTW our unit never got rid of them, they were just stored as part of our WRSK kit.

2 hours ago, boom175 said:

Jim from what I remember, the IIR models required more power and the LAU-88's couldn't handle the extra loads. There was a later (much later) TCTO for the LAU-88's to handle the updated missiles. I have a pic some where of some Mass and CT A-10A+'s carrying LAU-88's when they were deployed for OIF. The LAU's were on Station 3 and the LITENING pod was on Station 9. 

Of course I could be wrong about the power thing but I did see them used in OIF. BTW our unit never got rid of them, they were just stored as part of our WRSK kit.

got any Black Snake pictures? They made bombing and gun runs a little south of me and they always captured my mind

gary

16 hours ago, Finn said:

Don't forget some Rockeyes:

HI2pTYQcsJXFH795_p6bykGqTqA1CTOyi5Tc-xcc

Jari

Our unit really never trained with them. We had some load crew inert ones but I never saw one on our jets. Not saying its not a valid loadout as they were used a lot during Desert Storm.

On 12/2/2020 at 11:28 AM, mrvark said:

I believe that only AGM-65As & Bs could be carried on LAU-88s. Subsequent variants had a heavier warhead and could only be carried on LAU-117s.

It's actually a weight issue, so the LAU-88's can be loaded with the shaped charge 125lb warhead variants (A/B/D/H); the blast/frag 300lb warheads (G/K/L) are too heavy/out of balance.

Craig, 691 was one of yours before she was transferred to Idaho, right?  I found this pic a while back, taken at Fort Drum in the mid-90's... thought you might like it.  The Mk20's must have been one of those once-in-a-lifetime munitions allocations Easter eggs.  Turning iron at the FOL... the glory days of the Guard Hog Community!!

- Tom

995517_3547299617460_1015247778_n.jpg

We got 691 from AD or a early AFRES unit that was closed down can't remember which unit. This was due to the robust when our unit went from 18 PAA to 24 PAA that lasted a few years, then after the realignment we shipped a bunch of jets to guard units. Heck we shipped a few to AD since I retired.

Mid 80s... USAFE... That would make them all Euro1 and based at Woodbridge or Bentwaters.

When I saw them they always seemed to be carrying the sidewinder rail but only 1 missile loaded, LAU-88 for the Mavericks but I believe they would have only carried 2 per rack. the rest depended on what was going on. Any manner of cluster bombs depending on what was happening, either killing tanks or laying mines in the path of tanks, Mk82 retarded could have been used too.

Dont forget that while they were based in Woodbridge and bentwaters if anything had happened they would have deployed to forward operating "bases" in West Germany and they would have been reacting the the threats at the time.

On 12/4/2020 at 3:22 PM, A-10 LOADER said:

Ft. Drum trips were ALWAYS good times.

Steve

I lived in Syracuse and in high school joined an Explorer Post at Hancock Field with the 174th NYANG. For one of our meetings, I got to go out to the ramp, put on a headset, and do the preflight with the pilot. For another meeting, they took us up to Drum on a Huey and we got to watch the Syracuse A-10's roll and fire the gun. What great sights and sounds that I will never forget!