Which Hypersonic canopy for 1/48 RA-3B?

I read somewhere (and can't find it anymore) that the Trumpeter A3D-2 Skywarrior needs what is called a "version" canopy, in order to do a correct (relatively) RA-3B. I already have a (pre-production) Steel Beach RA-3B conversion, and just sourced the Furball decals. (THANKS Shawn!)

Hypersonic Models show 2 different "Version" canopies on their site, Early (HMR 48027-1 US) & Late (HMR 48027-2 US). I hope it's the "Early" version as the "Late" version is out of stock.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
More info

On the Hypersonic website, they show both variants in the photos.  However, it takes some sleuthing to know which is which.  The late canopy has the additional sextant port over the third crewman's station for celestial navigation.  Most of the Version A-3's had the early style canopy and were then retrofitted with the late variant.  The canopy required would be highly dependant on the timeframe you are modeling, photos would be your best bet to knowing which variant is correct.  The casual observer at an IPMS contest will likely never know the difference at all.

Thanks for your order, already on its way 🙂

The canopies get stocked one by one, I cast about one per day, time providing. Due to the lengthy heating and cooling required I can't cast more than one set per day anyway (I only have one heated pressure pot). The currently available resins are thicker than they used to be and much more difficult to process. I used to be able to cast two or more sets per day, but whenever I try to cast more than a single front and single rear section in one process I get at least one part for the bin guaranteed.

As for the early vs. late types of the "Versions": early and late are more of a loose description compared to the Bomber canopies. There are lots of photos showing both types in operation at the same time, even within the same squadron so it's really down to having a photo of the actual plane you'd like to build.

Perhaps I should have a look at the descriptions and pics in my web shop to make the distinctions clearer...

Cheers,

J

Not to hijack this thread, but on a similar theme...I've previously built the Trumpeter A3D-2 Skywarrior kit, but as an 'early' A3D-2

(in O/A Glossy Sea Blue with red-orange high visibility bands) used in aerial refueling tests by NATC at Edwards AFB during the mid 1950's,

and was built basically stock, OOB.

I've now have the KA-3B Skywarrior kit, and I would like to know if its a "Bomber",

as I've read that all KA-3 tankers were originally bombers converted to the tanker role, or if its a "Version", as it had been converted,

like others that were utilized in other roles, i.e.; RA-3s, ERA-3's, EKA-3s, TA-3s, etc.

Any tanker or tanker derivates (e.g. EKA-3B etc.) were bomber based, so with the original type canopy with thin framing. They aren't "Versions".

The TA-3B is an odd one out, the canopy is different from the either bombers or versions.

J

9 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

The canopies get stocked one by one, I cast about one per day, time providing. Due to the lengthy heating and cooling required I can't cast more than one set per day anyway (I only have one heated pressure pot). The currently available resins are thicker than they used to be and much more difficult to process. I used to be able to cast two or more sets per day, but whenever I try to cast more than a single front and single rear section in one process I get at least one part for the bin guaranteed.

As for the early vs. late types of the "Versions": early and late are more of a loose description compared to the Bomber canopies. There are lots of photos showing both types in operation at the same time, even within the same squadron so it's really down to having a photo of the actual plane you'd like to build.

Perhaps I should have a look at the descriptions and pics in my web shop to make the distinctions clearer...

Cheers,

J

Thanks, Jeff. Looking forward to your canopy, and starting on my RA-3B conversion.

Larry

On 12/2/2020 at 10:03 PM, JeffreyK said:

Cheers,

J

Jeffrey is correct. I have a friend that flew a lot on A-3's and he said he never saw two that were exactly alike, even in the same squadron on the boat.