Decal sheet Strike Eagle

Caracal does an entire sheet for Lakenheath Strike Eagles -- CD48149. Among the 10 options I don't see any with the nose art shown in your photo. There are markings for 91-0320, but no nose art, so if it's that specific plane you're after, this won't help.

10 hours ago, seawinder said:

Caracal does an entire sheet for Lakenheath Strike Eagles -- CD48149. Among the 10 options I don't see any with the nose art shown in your photo. There are markings for 91-0320, but no nose art, so if it's that specific plane you're after, this won't help.

That nose art is quite cool. I wanna build a mudhen like that

47 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

Was there ever an aftermarket sheet for Desert Storm F-15Es? I know of Repliscale’s pre-war sheet and I think the Revell kit decals, but that’s it.

Ben

I'm not aware of any beyond that. As for nose art, the Caracal sheet has several fun ones including Statue of Liberty, shark mouth, white walrus, silly cowboy, Batman on a horse, and a red death's head inside a gear. All the markings are for 2016-2018.

16 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Didnt SuperScale did some SJ F-15Es... From what I remember they were supposed to represent the jets that took part in ODS but didnt have any kill markings as it was the opening days/nights.

Looks like theirs were OIF. Strange how there are few, if any DS F-15E decal options available, given how big a role they played. With the exception of locating correct "4th Tactical Fighter Wing" wing badges (instead of the post-war "4th Wing"), it isn't hard to piece some together from other sheets, but still....

Ben

Yeah I sought out a sheet on ebay and saw that too!
Im surprised the ODS F-15Es have so little attention in 48th scale.

Did Aeromaster do a sheet?

I think Superscale did a sheet of wing badges with the 4th on it and there is an Astra decal sheet on ebay right now that has the numbers then you would just need the SJ...

I did an SJ based jet years ago that was from ODS... Are they the Hasegawa kit decals? 

• 4 weeks later...

RE: Desert Storm -Es, SuperScale did have a sheet with 4th TFW markings that were in the D.S. era.  I was using that sheet on the early Hasegawa kit back in the early 90s (have since lost the kit in a box with a few other In-Progress kits from those years)   The sheets are 72-617 or 48-401.  All I have is one of the old black & white SS catalogs, so I can't verify the exact dates represented, but it is listed as 4th TFW, not 4th Wing.  Hope this helps...

Sadly, you’d have to source the 336th TFS badge from somewhere else. Superscale got those wrong. It’s not hard, just a little expensive, to piece together DS F-15E decals. The old style wing and squadron badges can be sourced from the Afterburner Decals 4th TFW F-4E decal sheets. The only hard part would be coming up with crew names, although they might have removed them during the war. It is surprising that nobody has released a decent dedicated F-15E DS decal sheet.

Ben

18 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Sadly, you’d have to source the 336th TFS badge from somewhere else. Superscale got those wrong. It’s not hard, just a little expensive, to piece together DS F-15E decals. The old style wing and squadron badges can be sourced from the Afterburner Decals 4th TFW F-4E decal sheets. The only hard part would be coming up with crew names, although they might have removed them during the war. It is surprising that nobody has released a decent dedicated F-15E DS decal sheet.

Ben

The book Strike Eagle says crew names were removed for the war.

1 hour ago, Da SWO said:

The book Strike Eagle says crew names were removed for the war.

Bert Kinsey of Detail & Scale did a gallery of F15Es of the 4th TFW, the caption for which says "taken immediatedly after" Desert Storm. Crew names are clearly visible in many of the photos:

http://www.detailandscale.com/f-15e_strike_eagle_4th_wing_immediately_after_desert_storm.html

On 12/3/2020 at 9:08 AM, seawinder said:

I'm not aware of any beyond that. As for nose art, the Caracal sheet has several fun ones including Statue of Liberty, shark mouth, white walrus, silly cowboy, Batman on a horse, and a red death's head inside a gear. All the markings are for 2016-2018.

http://www.twobobs.net/contents/media/l_32-070f_20190316080501.jpg

Bro that’s not Batman on a horse it’s Deadpool. And the silly cowboy is Woody from Toy Story. Cmon man!

On 12/3/2020 at 10:19 AM, Ben Brown said:

Was there ever an aftermarket sheet for Desert Storm F-15Es? I know of Repliscale’s pre-war sheet and I think the Revell kit decals, but that’s it.

Ben

I bashed my decals for my DS build together from various sheets, including the Cutting Edge OIF sheet as it included the older badges with "4th TACTICAL FIGHTER WING".  However, I've noticed the Squadron badge on DS jets don't have the "TAC" part.  I haven't seen many many photos of such, but from what I can tell they did not.  You probably know, a lot of the 336th jets did not have wing or squadron markings on the conformal fuel tanks.  The colour of the eagle on the inner side of the fin varied, either black or grey.  Most in-theatre pics show crew names present, some without.  I suspect the majority left the names on.  The font for the crew names is Flash Bold, if you want to custom make your crew names on your build.  I think mission markings were mostly done later too.

Thanks for the font info! Downloaded and installed.

I was living near Seymour Johnson AFB before, during, and right after the Gulf War and took a few good photos of the first F-15Es they received. At the time, I was more interested in the Phantoms that were being replaced, so I didn’t take many pics of the Eagles. Stupid me!

Ben

14 hours ago, Vaildog said:

Bro that’s not Batman on a horse it’s Deadpool. And the silly cowboy is Woody from Toy Story. Cmon man!

Shows you my grasp of pop culture after, say, 1990. Deadpool? I did watch Toy Story 2; I think silly cowboy still applies.

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

Add me to the “what is deadpool” list...  😒

Personally I thought he was the most irritating, vile superhero character ever....But then  Amazon Prime Video came up with "The Boys" and "Homelander" was unleashed on the world. 

On 1/3/2021 at 7:27 PM, seawinder said:

Bert Kinsey of Detail & Scale did a gallery of F15Es of the 4th TFW, the caption for which says "taken immediatedly after" Desert Storm. Crew names are clearly visible in many of the photos:

http://www.detailandscale.com/f-15e_strike_eagle_4th_wing_immediately_after_desert_storm.html

If you read the article that isnt what it actually says.

He says.
"The 4th TFW (redesignated the 4th Wing immediately after the war)"

He then goes on to say

"Shortly after their return from Desert Storm, Bert Kinzey traveled to the 4th Wing’s home at Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina, to photograph the aircraft,"

Which says to me some time after they returned and some happened to be still wearing their mission markings...

Which makes me think that the crew names we re-applied to the jets on return.