F-14 Fast FAC...???

Question to the Tomcat experts...Was it ever used in action as a FAC, loaded with unguided rockets such as Zunis? Years ago back in 1998 FSM had posted an article regarding an F-14 Fast FAC (VF-103), loaded with Lgbs and Zuni rockets on the shoulder pylon...Checking my books/magazines as well as the net and posting the same question on FB, I didnt find any relative information or photos to confirm that...anyone???...is anything out there???☺️

Absolutely, she did it all, and then some.

Tony Holmes two books, " US Navy F-14 Tomcat Units of Operation Iraqi Freedom " and " Units of Operation Enduring Freedom " talks about those missions.

Steve

She may have done it all, but Zuni's were not part of the operational loads used. Testing only I pressume. 

I have never seen an operational F-14 of any letter carrying this load, but would love to see it if it exist. Testing however - not surprised. 

33 minutes ago, Niels said:

She may have done it all, but Zuni's were not part of the operational loads used. Testing only I pressume. 

I have never seen an operational F-14 of any letter carrying this load, but would love to see it if it exist. Testing however - not surprised. 

Yes correct. I should have been more specific with my answer, I was referring to the FAC role. I agree about the Zuni's however, would like to know if they were ever used in anger as well.

Steve

Ahh, now I see why you were asking for info about the FSM article. 😀 When I did that article, many moons ago, FAC with Zuni pods was being talked about as a future mission for the Tomcat. Zuni's were tested, but never put on operationally. But at the time, that wasn't known. So, I used some artistic license for the article, since the LANTIRN and FAC were new to the Tomcat. Though the article was published in 1998, it was actually written soon after VF-103 changed from the Sluggers to the Jolly Rogers in 1996, so no hard decisions had been made yet.

On 12/4/2020 at 3:25 AM, zark said:

Question to the Tomcat experts...Was it ever used in action as a FAC, loaded with unguided rockets such as Zunis? ☺️

Since the introduction of ground-based and airborne laser illuminators (LANTIRN, LITENING, etc), the need for visually marking a target with smoke has greatly diminished.   Can you still mark a target with smoke?  Yes, but you can only carry a limited number of rockets.   Can you mark a target with a laser and the target NOT know they are being marked?  Yes, and the laser isn't limited to the number of rockets on-board.   CAVEAT - The new laser guided rockets can be used to mark AND kill targets, but I think the F-14 went out of service before those things went into common use. 

Zuni’s were flown 1 time for a test/Photoex. They were never considered for carry on the carrier or for operational use. The reason being is the hot trigger logic function would be for Aim-9 and Zuni at the same time. There was an article long ago about how AIRLANT did the 1 flight, and pretty sure it was Snort that flew it.

-Brian  

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals