1/48 F-4C/D - Scarce to Find?

It seems the newer Phantoms are hard to find in the non-gun nosed varieties. I want to build a Vietnam era USAF bird in SEA. The ZM F-4E is easy enough to find currently, but I don’t find the lines of the gun nose particularly pleasing. So I’m looking for a C/D. 

The ZM is impossible to find. The Academy one is scarce from US suppliers. I don’t really want to go further back in time than Academy.  I’ve built some variant of Hasegawa, Academy, and ZM, but all Navy or Marine birds. So I have a decent idea what I want in the kits. 

Does anyone have thoughts, insight, etc, in to why the newer kits are scarce and where to find one...particular the ZM kit?

Edited by ESzczesniak

Amazon claims to have three of these kits

https://www.amazon.com/Academy-Model-Kit-Rokaf-Plane/dp/B00JF2PSQA/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3U9QJ5RYW2SBW&dchild=1&keywords=1%2F48+academy+f-4d&qid=1607817588&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sprefix=academy+f-4d%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-1

available to be delivered on December 15.  

Scalemates claims this kit was released with  "new parts", so I don't know if this ROKAF release is suitable to build a USAF F-4D(obviously at least, USAF decals  would need to be procured).  A quick comparison of the parts locating diagram for the USAF F-4C  and this ROKAF F-4D release seem to show that the two kits come with the same sprues.  

On 12/13/2020 at 1:17 AM, ytsejam87 said:

Amazon claims to have three of these kits

https://www.amazon.com/Academy-Model-Kit-Rokaf-Plane/dp/B00JF2PSQA/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3U9QJ5RYW2SBW&dchild=1&keywords=1%2F48+academy+f-4d&qid=1607817588&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sprefix=academy+f-4d%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-1

available to be delivered on December 15.  

Scalemates claims this kit was released with  "new parts", so I don't know if this ROKAF release is suitable to build a USAF F-4D(obviously at least, USAF decals  would need to be procured).  A quick comparison of the parts locating diagram for the USAF F-4C  and this ROKAF F-4D release seem to show that the two kits come with the same sprues.  

They are identical except for the instructions and decals. I have several of both RoKAF kits, and all are supposed to become USAF F-4C/Ds.

Jens

On 12/13/2020 at 5:00 PM, fulcrum1 said:

ZM kits seem to have production runs and once they sell out, you need to wait for another run. 

Yes, they sure do. I’ve been distantly watching the -C/D for a while and there hasn’t seemed to be much hint of a rerun. So I’ve been worrying they’re not going to rerun these. They’re trend with the -J would suggest they will, but who knows. 

13 hours ago, JEN722 said:

They are identical except for the instructions and decals. I have several of both RoKAF kits, and all are supposed to become USAF F-4C/Ds.

Jens

I’ve been holding out for the ZM, as I think it’s a better model. But the Academy is a very workable kit and I’d a ZM doesn’t surface, I’ll almost certainly go this route.