Bf109 E Spine 'Gap'

Hey All,

I'm working on my 1/48 Eduard Bf109E-3 model, and I have a question.  I know that the Tamiya 1/48 109G-6 model kit instruction include direction NOT to fill any gap, where the fuselage halves meet, along the spine (top) of the plane, because the real planes actually had a gap (or however you choose to describe it).  While it looks, on my Eduard E-3, that the fuselage halves are going to be pretty close to a perfect joint, without a noticeable gap, I'm wondering if the other variants, like the Emils, or others, had this apparent gap along their dorsal spines.  Was this limited to the G-6, or did all the 109s have this?  By the way, I am not planning to create a gap on my E-3, I just won't fill the joint like I would normally try to, if a gap is present. I did leave the joint unfilled on my Eduard Bf109G-6/AS, and it looks fine.  So, what's the story on the other '109 variants?

11 minutes ago, Shadrik said:

The rear fuselage of the BF109 was constructed in two halves, so the gap ist basically a sheet metal joint. This construction was used for all BF109 versions.

Great info...thank you!  That gives what I needed to keep going.

Nobody made airplanes with gaps down the centerline of the fuselage.  The 'clamshell' fabrication of the original's fuselage resulted in a join line between flush halves, which would disappear from sight when reduced in size by a factor of 48.   A few years ago I spent a couple of weeks at the EAA museum assembling their BoB movie veteran 'Messerschmitt' for an Eagle hangar floor display.  Weren't no gaps. 

4 minutes ago, peter havriluk said:

Nobody made airplanes with gaps down the centerline of the fuselage.  The 'clamshell' fabrication of the original's fuselage resulted in a join line between flush halves, which would disappear from sight when reduced in size by a factor of 48.   A few years ago I spent a couple of weeks at the EAA museum assembling their BoB movie veteran 'Messerschmitt' for an Eagle hangar floor display.  Weren't no gaps. 

Understood.  As I'd written, I would have no intention of 'creating' a gap between the fuselage halves, other than to simply not fill any (exceedingly small) less than perfectly disappearing gap where the 2 parts come together.  On my Eduard 109 E-3, the 2 halves are so well molded that under a coat of primer and paint, even the unglued joint will probably disappear. Thanks for your observation.