Russian mig-21s in afghansitan

Hi all

I'm wanting to make my trumpeter Mig-21 into a russian version used in the afghan war in the 80s.  Is there any major external differences between the Mig-21 MF and the Russian model?  Any help appreciated appreciated.

Edited by Modelkeenfan
12 hours ago, Modelkeenfan said:

Hi all

I'm wanting to make my trumpeter Mig-21 into a russian version used in the afghan war in the 80s.  Is there any major external differences between the Mig-21 MF and the Russian model?  Any help appreciated appreciated.

Was the MF not a "Russian model"?  I'm not a big expert on the -21 but I thought the Soviets operated the MF?  Only other version I can think of that might have seen action there would be the Bis which does have some external differences associated with the nose from the MF.   Last candidate would possibly be the SMT but that has major external differences and wasn't used in large numbers (I think it was primarily used in the nuclear strike role in Europe).  

Which scale are you going for?

Yes, the MF was an export version of the SM. The MF had a less capable radar than the SM. That is AFAIK also the only outwardly discernible difference. And even that is kinda difficult to spot. The SM's radar had two alcohol bottles, whereas the MF's only used one. The bottle(s) is/are stored in the forward avionics bay on the upper side of the nose. If you look at it from above and behind, you can make out the bottle(s) through the "overspill" air outlet.

As for service in Afghanistan.... As far as I'm aware, the SM didn't serve in Afghanistan. The MiG-21bis was aused as a fighter-bomber, while MiG-21Rs provided reconnaissance.