I'm looking to build a new, bigger spray booth roughly 60 inches wide x 30 inches tall x 30 inches deep. My old one just doesn't cut it anymore. Since this project will be quite involved, I want to do it right the first time. The booth itself will be made out of 3/4" white melamine, nice and bright and easy to clean up over-spray. I only spray enamels and lacquers and believe I have my fan picked out for the booth, the Dayton Blower 6FHX9. Give me some inspiration by showing your spray areas with all the specs (fan CFM, lighting, venting, etc. ) and, if there's anything you would do differently.

Looking forward to seeing your ideas guys, thanks.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER

My first thought is that if you make that out of 3/4" melamine it is going to weigh a ton. I would frame it out of 1" by 3" pine and line it with some white surfaced material. I got some at Lowes.

Secondly, since it is a square box I would put some kind of a panel in it to direct the airflow to the fan if you are going to mount it to the top. I just put a piece of foam board in it angled against the back. I clip some newspaper to it to keep it clean.

Bob

That thing will be a monster! That blower looks a little small - will it pull enough CFM to cover such a large opening? 

I bought a Pace paint booth years ago. While i can’t say I made it myself, I can say that it does the job perfectly. I look forward to seeing updates on yours.

3 minutes ago, andrew.deboer said:

That thing will be a monster! That blower looks a little small - will it pull enough CFM to cover such a large opening? 

I bought a Pace paint booth years ago. While i can’t say I made it myself, I can say that it does the job perfectly. I look forward to seeing updates on yours.

It has to be big, I still have a 1/18th scale Tomcat, my third one, that needs to be totally refinished so, she has to fit in there.

I'm actually in contact with a guy who use to design 1:1 paint booths. I sent him my rough sketch and the fan specs. He said the fan is more than enough and, may be too much but, we can deal with that with a fan controller knob.

I need to build it myself because of the specific dimensions plus, to buy one this size ( if you can find one ), I could build four of them.

I'll gladly post updates when I get to building it and, it's another reason I suggested there be a thread for our model workshops, so we can share this type of info in one place.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve what a timely post. I am just in the midst of rebuilding mine. I had the design all done last year but never got around to it as life got in the way. It will be made from white painted backer board with strips of 1 x 2 pine as a frame to strengthen it. My new booth will be 36" wide x 20" deep x 36" high. I will have a squirrel cage blower to extract to a 6" vent. I used to use 2 x bathroom fans for years and they worked fine. Also I am putting a 6" header across the front at the top. It makes it easier on the eyes for the lights. I think you don't need the 3/4" melamine as it will be overkill. My base will be white melamine as it will clean easier.

On 12/25/2020 at 12:41 AM, skyhawk174 said:

Hi Steve what a timely post. I am just in the midst of rebuilding mine. I had the design all done last year but never got around to it as life got in the way. It will be made from white painted backer board with strips of 1 x 2 pine as a frame to strengthen it. My new booth will be 36" wide x 20" deep x 36" high. I will have a squirrel cage blower to extract to a 6" vent. I used to use 2 x bathroom fans for years and they worked fine. Also I am putting a 6" header across the front at the top. It makes it easier on the eyes for the lights. I think you don't need the 3/4" melamine as it will be overkill. My base will be white melamine as it will clean easier.

You'll need to post pics when it's all finished.

Steve

18 hours ago, Stinger16 said:

Pace spray booths here on Ohio.  

https://www.pacepaintbooth.com

For what these things cost I could build myself two big booths.

NO ONE makes a booth for the size I want that's why I have to make a custom one.

15 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Thanks Whitey, I saw this last year while doing research. I will be using that exact blower however.

Steve

On 12/26/2020 at 1:44 PM, A-10 LOADER said:

You'll need to post pics when it's all finished.

Steve

Was going to reply sooner but I guess there were problems with the forum. Yes I will post the new booth. Just finished up the side framing and still working on the back wall. That will have my new custom made accumulator box for the blower extraction fan. The support for my new blower I actually have to hang from the floor joists to maximize space.  Need to put some reinforcement to the roof of the booth to support the 2' LED light fitting. Also have a control panel that will be reused from my old booth.

Edited by skyhawk174
9 hours ago, fulcrum1 said:

I made a large booth with an ikea hood/fan and never liked it that much. I think the Mini pace might be in my future.

My friend made one from a range hood fan but it is one with double fans and pulls something like 200CFM. Works great. He mounted it to a wall in his work space and then simply hung plastic sheet on the sides to the top of his table. Instant booth.

On 12/31/2020 at 4:22 AM, skyhawk174 said:

My friend made one from a range hood fan but it is one with double fans and pulls something like 200CFM. Works great. He mounted it to a wall in his work space and then simply hung plastic sheet on the sides to the top of his table. Instant booth.

You know Ive been thinking about doing something like that myself on and off.
A cooker hood is basically just a filtered extraction fan inside a fancy housing.

You can pick them up cheap as chips on the second hand market. Then all you need like you said is the sides and top piece.

Im waiting for my old one to die, it cant have many more years in it now its so old. I will be going the DIY route next time as the ones aimed at model makers are so expensive for what they are.

On 12/31/2020 at 10:24 PM, ElectroSoldier said:

You know Ive been thinking about doing something like that myself on and off.
A cooker hood is basically just a filtered extraction fan inside a fancy housing.

You can pick them up cheap as chips on the second hand market. Then all you need like you said is the sides and top piece.

Im waiting for my old one to die, it cant have many more years in it now its so old. I will be going the DIY route next time as the ones aimed at model makers are so expensive for what they are.

My biggest cost was the extraction blower. I used 2 bathroom fans for years. Also if you do go for the range hood option, don't get the Broan cheap ones. Try and get the ones with two fans and see if there is a label that lists CFM. Also pick up a furnace filter to cover the fans.

Hi Guys

I have a question on the topic. I know the whole purpose of the spray both is to vent the fumes outside but I really don't want to cut a vent hole in my house (or should I say my significant other does'nt want me to cut any holes in the house).

Do any of you vent the fumes into a sealed box with something like insulation installed to absorb the fumes. I usually paint in my garage in spring, summer and fall but when winter comes I usually don't get much painting done (winter is about 5-6 month's up here). Just wondering if anybody has done this with success or is it an absurd idea.

I've recently experimented with Mission Models paints with good results (no odor, non toxic) but I still have a lot of model master enamels and various lacquers I'd like to use. I use the harsh stuff outside and the non toxic stuff inside but it would be cool to find a solution.

I would be building a spray booth like the one that Whitey supplied the link to above

Thanks

Jim

Edited by jeem

Jim,

You might try putting a dryer vent in a piece of plywood then cutting it to the size of a partially open window in the house or garage and using flex ducting to go from the booth to the window. When painting is complete it all packs away until next time.

Just a thought.

Cheers:cheers:

Itch

14 hours ago, jeem said:

Hi Guys

I have a question on the topic. I know the whole purpose of the spray both is to vent the fumes outside but I really don't want to cut a vent hole in my house (or should I say my significant other does'nt want me to cut any holes in the house).

Do any of you vent the fumes into a sealed box with something like insulation installed to absorb the fumes. I usually paint in my garage in spring, summer and fall but when winter comes I usually don't get much painting done (winter is about 5-6 month's up here). Just wondering if anybody has done this with success or is it an absurd idea.

I've recently experimented with Mission Models paints with good results (no odor, non toxic) but I still have a lot of model master enamels and various lacquers I'd like to use. I use the harsh stuff outside and the non toxic stuff inside but it would be cool to find a solution.

I would be building a spray booth like the one that Whitey supplied the link to above

Thanks

Jim

As noted earlier in the thread, Vent-works.com makes metal window insert vents of various sizes for both regular and vertically opening windows - https://vent-works.com/products/6-inch-window-vent.

Years ago I made my own out of plywood, but if these had been available I would have snatched one up. My current set up, in my basement, vents to a dryer outlet set in a glass brick. I had the glass bricks installed in the basement window along with the vent. Looks real professional and works just fine.

Hi Guys

Thanks for responding, unfortunately I don't have a window in my model room. All of the windows are in finished off areas of my basement so I can't use the window method. Sorry, I should have mentioned that in my first post.

Jim

• 4 months later...
On 12/30/2020 at 1:22 AM, skyhawk174 said:

Was going to reply sooner but I guess there were problems with the forum. Yes I will post the new booth. Just finished up the side framing and still working on the back wall. That will have my new custom made accumulator box for the blower extraction fan. The support for my new blower I actually have to hang from the floor joists to maximize space.  Need to put some reinforcement to the roof of the booth to support the 2' LED light fitting. Also have a control panel that will be reused from my old booth.

Any updates on your booth ?? If so, pics please.

So far I've acquired my exhaust fan, speed control switch (for the fan) and, my light. Since I'm building a down draft booth I'll be using two 24" x 26" Cube Core Eggcrate Return Air Filter Grilles, which are on back-order.

Steve