On 1/9/2021 at 7:33 AM, admiralcag said:

This is what I use. I'm throwing it out here for the filter can, aka the booth bong. It works pretty well for us. Pat Amaral is a member of the CoMMiES, which is the main club I belong to.

Homemade Spraybooth and Filter

Vern

Exactly how I built my cheap spray paint booth. Works so well.

6 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Any updates on your booth ?? If so, pics please.

So far I've acquired my exhaust fan, speed control switch (for the fan) and, my light. Since I'm building a down draft booth I'll be using two 24" x 26" Cube Core Eggcrate Return Air Filter Grilles, which are on back-order.

Steve

Oh forgot all about this. Yup all done and ready to get dirty. Let me figure out how to post pics.

On 12/14/2020 at 10:46 AM, A-10 LOADER said:

I'm looking to build a new, bigger spray booth roughly 60 inches wide x 30 inches tall x 30 inches deep. My old one just doesn't cut it anymore. Since this project will be quite involved, I want to do it right the first time. The booth itself will be made out of 3/4" white melamine, nice and bright and easy to clean up over-spray. I only spray enamels and lacquers and believe I have my fan picked out for the booth, the Dayton Blower 6FHX9. Give me some inspiration by showing your spray areas with all the specs (fan CFM, lighting, venting, etc. ) and, if there's anything you would do differently.

Looking forward to seeing your ideas guys, thanks.

Steve

Not an expert, but have built several industrial spray booths in the past. The real problem you'll encounter is the 60" width, and drawing air from both extreme ends. I'd suggest two slightly smaller fans with two  exhaust hoses feeding in one block. you could even go so far as to build a divider in the middle nd run only one fan as needed.

If I ever get around to building another booth (48" range), I will set it up to use three fans. Two smaller ones, and one larger one used in a down draft situation. It will use a frame made of extruded aluminum (just bolts together), and attach the wood or whatever to the insides. Lighting is now not a serious problem with the new LED lights out now

gary

On 12/14/2020 at 11:21 AM, Bob Beary said:

My first thought is that if you make that out of 3/4" melamine it is going to weigh a ton. I would frame it out of 1" by 3" pine and line it with some white surfaced material. I got some at Lowes.

Secondly, since it is a square box I would put some kind of a panel in it to direct the airflow to the fan if you are going to mount it to the top. I just put a piece of foam board in it angled against the back. I clip some newspaper to it to keep it clean.

Bob

you can buy 3/8th" and maybe 1/4" plywood with white laminate glued to it. My record racks are made of 3/4" with the white laminate attached inside and outside. they still weigh a ton, but 7500 LP's are not light weight

gary

3 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

you can buy 3/8th" and maybe 1/4" plywood with white laminate glued to it. My record racks are made of 3/4" with the white laminate attached inside and outside. they still weigh a ton, but 7500 LP's are not light weight

gary

I know this is not the main topic, but 7500 LP's sounds like one cool collection!

21 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

Not an expert, but have built several industrial spray booths in the past. The real problem you'll encounter is the 60" width, and drawing air from both extreme ends. I'd suggest two slightly smaller fans with two  exhaust hoses feeding in one block. you could even go so far as to build a divider in the middle nd run only one fan as needed.

If I ever get around to building another booth (48" range), I will set it up to use three fans. Two smaller ones, and one larger one used in a down draft situation. It will use a frame made of extruded aluminum (just bolts together), and attach the wood or whatever to the insides. Lighting is now not a serious problem with the new LED lights out now

gary

The booth itself will be a downdraft design with a plenum chamber that will be across the bottom and, up the back of the booth. I put this cardboard "mockup" together to show the person who is helping me with my design, what I had in mind. He is in Colorado and we Facetime during our meetings. There will be two 24" x 26" eggcrate airfilter holders that will take up most on the bottom of the booth. Where the bottom meets the back, there will be a piece of wood cut at a 45 degree angle to help improve the airflow. The motor will be mounted on top of the booth with 4" metal duct work for the exhausting, short run with only two elbows, vented out a window.

I worked in a custom cabinet shop for 10 years and, still have access to that shop if I need it. I'm aware of what materials are out there and the weight is not a issue. The booth will sit on a benchtop and will not be moved. I'm hoping to have this project wrapped up by the end of the year, fingers crossed, because the trips to the garage are really getting old.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7136.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

19 hours ago, zeus60 said:

I know this is not the main topic, but 7500 LP's sounds like one cool collection!

I love vinyl, and have always found it superior to CD's. The record collection started in the sixties and just kept going. I honestly have no idea what the actual count is now. You measure the cases and multiply 72 records per foot, but really not accurate as some brands will get an honest 85 records into a foot. Hopefully I'm going to start putting them on a couple eight tetrabite hard drives (maybe three). I don't have any 78rpm docs, and also no small 45's, but do have a few 45 rpm LP's.

Been thru more than my fair share of turn tables in the past, and now use one of two. An Opera that needs a new motor drive, and an Acoustic Signature Final tool. This last one is a killer table and has also became an investment! It's now worth three time what I paid for it, and can see four time in the near future ($$$$). It's built well enough to last a couple lifetimes. Only real issue is it's weight. It weighs over forty pounds ready to play. The Opera is a Chinese knock off, and at best is 90% of the Final Tool. We're gonna fix that this fall

gary

1 hour ago, A-10 LOADER said:

The booth itself will be a downdraft design with a plenum chamber that will be across the bottom and, up the back of the booth. I put this cardboard "mockup" together to show the person who is helping me with my design, what I had in mind. He is in Colorado and we Facetime during our meetings. There will be two 24" x 26" eggcrate airfilter holders that will take up most on the bottom of the booth. Where the bottom meets the back, there will be a piece of wood cut at a 45 degree angle to help improve the airflow. The motor will be mounted on top of the booth with 4" metal duct work for the exhausting, short run with only two elbows, vented out a window.

I worked in a custom cabinet shop for 10 years and, still have access to that shop if I need it. I'm aware of what materials are out there and the weight is not a issue. The booth will sit on a benchtop and will not be moved. I'm hoping to have this project wrapped up by the end of the year, fingers crossed, because the trips to the garage are really getting old.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7136.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

keep us posted

gary

1 hour ago, ChesshireCat said:

I love vinyl, and have always found it superior to CD's. The record collection started in the sixties and just kept going. I honestly have no idea what the actual count is now. You measure the cases and multiply 72 records per foot, but really not accurate as some brands will get an honest 85 records into a foot. Hopefully I'm going to start putting them on a couple eight tetrabite hard drives (maybe three). I don't have any 78rpm docs, and also no small 45's, but do have a few 45 rpm LP's.

Been thru more than my fair share of turn tables in the past, and now use one of two. An Opera that needs a new motor drive, and an Acoustic Signature Final tool. This last one is a killer table and has also became an investment! It's now worth three time what I paid for it, and can see four time in the near future ($$$$). It's built well enough to last a couple lifetimes. Only real issue is it's weight. It weighs over forty pounds ready to play. The Opera is a Chinese knock off, and at best is 90% of the Final Tool. We're gonna fix that this fall

gary

Be nice to see pics!  Perhaps I should start another thread, pics of your non-model hobbies/passions.  Your comment reminded me of an episode of the Swedish TV series Wallander.  Kurt Wallander, the protagonist, is an avid music lover and has a large collection of LPs.  At some point someone asks him how many he has, expecting an approximate answer like 2000.  Wallander knows the exact number he has - I can't remember if it was a little more or a little less than 2000.

Stacey

2 hours ago, zeus60 said:

Be nice to see pics!  Perhaps I should start another thread, pics of your non-model hobbies/passions.  Your comment reminded me of an episode of the Swedish TV series Wallander.  Kurt Wallander, the protagonist, is an avid music lover and has a large collection of LPs.  At some point someone asks him how many he has, expecting an approximate answer like 2000.  Wallander knows the exact number he has - I can't remember if it was a little more or a little less than 2000.

Stacey

I do CD's as well, but only when the beer is flowing. The Opera table's issue can be blamed on Irish Whiskey. I knocked the motor onto the floor and it either needs a complete rebuild or replacement. We're talking about a $400 motor now. For $700, I can completely replace all the electronics with something newer and much better. I use what is known as a "transcription turn table", and people ask me all the time just what is that. I paid $739 for my main red book CD player eight years ago. They are going for eight to nine hundred used right now; which is insane! Still it sounds really good, and will play a 24 bit disc. Most will not. 

Golf and audio are cheap compared to fly fishing! My Avalanche has roughly $8K in fly rods and reels in right now. I might add that I currently own twenty plus rods and maybe sixteen to eighteen reels. A good rule of the thumb is $1000+ for the rod & reel, and another hundred in line and leaders, but you only live once! I have two skins of feathers (they are legal) that have had about eight feathers plucked off. Those feathers are going for three dollars a piece right now! I have sixty dollars in them, and could run them on Ebay for three hundred a piece. That sport has just gotten insane! 

gary

On 6/17/2021 at 12:24 AM, hawkwrench said:

Must be super hard to catch flies!!!!!

Tim

call me Frankenstein! I build much of my own. Not what I'd call good at it, but it keep me out of trouble when I get started. 

The next time I'm on that extruded aluminum website, I'll create a link for all of you to use. They sell the stuff by the inch, and it come in many sizes (most are square, but they do rectangular shapes as well). The stuff is modular, and simply bolts together. Worst thing to do with it is drilling bolt holes, and you really don't have to do that, as they sell right angle mounting brackets. If you have ever been inside a factory, then you've probably seen it in use. For a spray booth, the one inch square stuff is all you need. I'm getting ready to order in two inch stuff for an audio rack. They'll cut it to length, and even have the design software for you to use. All you really need for tools is a set of hex key wrenches (sane people call them Allen wrenches), and maybe a framing square.

gary

• 1 month later...

So I have a question, when I start my paint booth build would there be any interest for me to do a WIP thread on it ? Would it be appropriate to put the build in the " In Progress Pics " forum or here in " General Discussion "?

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER
On 8/8/2021 at 8:29 PM, A-10 LOADER said:

So I have a question, when I start my paint booth build would there be any interest for me to do a WIP thread on it ? Would it be appropriate to put the build in the " In Progress Pics " forum or here in " General Discussion "?

Steve

I think that's a great idea

gary

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 1:22 AM, skyhawk174 said:

Was going to reply sooner but I guess there were problems with the forum. Yes I will post the new booth. Just finished up the side framing and still working on the back wall. That will have my new custom made accumulator box for the blower extraction fan. The support for my new blower I actually have to hang from the floor joists to maximize space.  Need to put some reinforcement to the roof of the booth to support the 2' LED light fitting. Also have a control panel that will be reused from my old booth.

Any updates or pics to share ?

Steve

On 1/8/2021 at 7:42 AM, jeem said:

Hi Guys

I have a question on the topic. I know the whole purpose of the spray both is to vent the fumes outside but I really don't want to cut a vent hole in my house (or should I say my significant other does'nt want me to cut any holes in the house).

Do any of you vent the fumes into a sealed box with something like insulation installed to absorb the fumes. I usually paint in my garage in spring, summer and fall but when winter comes I usually don't get much painting done (winter is about 5-6 month's up here). Just wondering if anybody has done this with success or is it an absurd idea.

I've recently experimented with Mission Models paints with good results (no odor, non toxic) but I still have a lot of model master enamels and various lacquers I'd like to use. I use the harsh stuff outside and the non toxic stuff inside but it would be cool to find a solution.

I would be building a spray booth like the one that Whitey supplied the link to above

Thanks

Jim

I made this insert for my setup in the garage out of a piece of 1/2" birch plywood. I cut it to fit tight so it holds itself in place. The dryer vent hood fits between the space of the board and the window so, whenever I want to paint, I just unlock the window and crank it open.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7236.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

• 1 month later...

My paint booth build is still on hold because of availability of my filter holders. I ordered two 24" x 26" filter holders, which will be the floor of the booth, back in late August / early September. One was the correct size and the other was not. I'm STILL trying to get the second one in the correct size. I've ordered 4 times thru Amazon now and keep getting the wrong size. At this point I have no idea when I'll be able to get the second one.

Steve

Two of these will be the floor of the booth.

(edited)_IMG_7251.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

• 3 months later...

That downdraft idea is brilliant, I might have to steal that when I build my next booth. I built my booth awhile back out of 1/2 foil-faced foam board and its worked well so far but its sagging a bit here and there. Not big, 24" cubed with a dryer filter keeping paint particles from getting sucked through the fan. Unless I'm spraying primer or dullcoat from a rattle can (been heavy into Gundam stuff lately getting back into fighter jets) , I'm just airbrushing Tamiya acrylic which is really mild by itself.

15 hours ago, TheGloriousTachikoma said:

That downdraft idea is brilliant, I might have to steal that when I build my next booth. I built my booth awhile back out of 1/2 foil-faced foam board and its worked well so far but its sagging a bit here and there. Not big, 24" cubed with a dryer filter keeping paint particles from getting sucked through the fan. Unless I'm spraying primer or dullcoat from a rattle can (been heavy into Gundam stuff lately getting back into fighter jets) , I'm just airbrushing Tamiya acrylic which is really mild by itself.

Thanks, maybe I should patent it.  😆

Steve