Tamiya clear over Ak real colour?

I’ve been working on this model and have for the third time tried to spray Tamiya clear spray can over top of AK real colour RAF green, and it seems to continuously eat through the green. Not very much, but enough to distort the green. I am so angry I’m ready to chuck the model in the garbage. I only spray light coats

is it the Tamiya that’s doing it? Or what the H?

Edited by davevw
  • davevw changed the title to Tamiya clear over Ak real colour?
On 12/14/2020 at 8:45 PM, davevw said:

And if I use Tamia paint And real colour on the same model is there anyway I can clearcoat without having to do it between each colour?

The problem is the spray can can dump out tons of clear lacquer on top of your model, which greatly increases the chance of the clear coat eating through the paint underneath.  You want the first clear coat to be just a mist tack coat, which I don't think you can achieve with a rattle can.

I have had zero problems airbrushing the various lacquer clear coats over lacquer paints, including AK Real Colors.

On 12/14/2020 at 7:58 PM, lockheed2004 said:

Tamiya clear is a lacquer based product.  AK real colors is also a lacquer based paint.  You need something non-lacquer based in between the two to prevent the tamiya eating into the AK.

Not necessarily true.  MRP is a lacquer based paint.  MRP clear is also lacquer based.  Yet the clear doesn't eat into the paint.  Same with Mr. Hobby Mr. Color range.

Edited by RichardL