MQ-8B Fire Scout 1/48 Brengun

• 1 month later...

every part of this diorama is well thought out and build!

You mentioned that you sprayed some ultra matt on the uniforms to tone them down but, they still look a bit satin; have you ever tried Model Master's enamel matt varnish? it gives a very matt finish though, I don't know how appropriate it would be for your figures but, nonetheless, it could be a good solution.

The reason why I mentioned this is because, recently I sprayed with MM matt varnish two different aircrafts in 1/72. A Spitfire and a P-47. The Spitfire does look good but, the P-47 looks very flat; the paints, the decals, the weathering I have applied.

Anyhow if you can find it, give it a try. It might work.

:thumbsup:

Hi all first day of spring here last day for this project.

Spent the last few nights doing the acrylic ocean base. 

I used a 12"×12" wood base with a 1/8" lip to contain the acrylic. I pre painted the wood with 99328 Folk Art indigo blue. After it was dry I mixed two part Artresin 50/50 resin harder and added about 8 drops on alcohol tint forest green which is actually more blue. 

I poured the acrylic thin layer then set the ships hull in. When I was happy with its placement I let it set for about 30min then mixed some clear resin with Cast 'n' Crafts white opaque concentrate. I traced the wave line along the port, starboard and aft end. Carefully hitting it with a heat gun pushes the white through the blue and creates the ocean wave frothy foam effect. 

From photos and being on board destroyers and frigates the props churn up the water so I wanted to capture that effect of movement. I trailed using fine gotten batten dipped in white resin then randomly pressed into place. After the trial I was very happy with the effect and started on the base. I did this the next evening after the initial pour had cured. 

20210321_202555-338x450.jpg

Last job was to add some smaller waves and movement along the sides. I used AK Interactives water effect mixed with Woodlands Scenic white water highlights. 

20210321_101917-600x450.jpg

After the AK product dries it was a bit matted so I applied a thin layer of Pledge to bring back the gloss.

20210321_202622-600x450.jpg

So that's it project is done I am going to clean up my mess and take some staged photos I'll post in the Display Case forum. Thanks for looking and all the inspiring comments that motivate us to reach for modeling perfection...so illusive.

Cheers

Dave 

20210321_203508-600x450.jpg

20210321_210106-600x450.jpg

20210321_210133-600x450.jpg

20210321_210238-600x450.jpg

20210321_210335-600x450.jpg

Up next in the planning stage F4U Corsair 

PicsArt_03-21-11.15.34-600x378.jpg

Full deep sea acrylic pour.

Edited by Night Owl Models
Grammar

Very well executed and extremely well done. Water / waves / churning are very hard to duplicate but, you pulled it off to perfection. The amount of work that went into this is staggering to say the least but, so worth it when the final piece is viewed, very cool.

So what are the finished dimensions for this ?

Steve