Zvezda C-130 Sponson Panel Insert Question?

I'm starting on my first Zvezda C-130 which will be Fat Albert.  There is a panel insert on the rear sponson that has an option for kit part F36/37 or F40/41.  This looks like it is brackets for JATO or without.  Fat Albert is so shiny, its hard to see this area for sure.  I am pretty sure even on the new Fat Albert (not the J, the last F model), there are JATO brackets on this area.  Can anyone confirm?

2 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

I'm starting on my first Zvezda C-130 which will be Fat Albert.  There is a panel insert on the rear sponson that has an option for kit part F36/37 or F40/41.  This looks like it is brackets for JATO or without.  Fat Albert is so shiny, its hard to see this area for sure.  I am pretty sure even on the new Fat Albert (not the J, the last F model), there are JATO brackets on this area.  Can anyone confirm?

Plenty of online pictures of Fat Albert JATO takeoffs and the brackets being in place, I’m not sure about the J though.

The J model Fat Albert does not have the JATO brackets on the air deflector doors. As for the aircraft previous to the J model,  I assume your talking about the T models (H2 models for Air Force types), the last aircraft would not have them, since it was built in 1990's, earlier aircraft definitely did. The F models (B models) were built in the 57-62 time frame and all C-130's had them back then. There was a JATO delete that was around the late 2000's which replaced or had new panels for the air deflector doors.  Of course this all depends on the serial number, and Lockheed manufacturing number. Hope this helps and not confuse you more.

14 hours ago, Scooby said:

Plenty of online pictures of Fat Albert JATO takeoffs and the brackets being in place, I’m not sure about the J though.

Yes, but Fat Albert hasn't done a JATO takeoff in years, there have been a few Fat Alberts, and the most recently retired had a major PDM.  And I'm not C-130 expert.  So 1) I'm not actually 100% sure these parts are the JATO brackets, and 2) I'm trying to be sure the Fat Albert in service until last year actually had the JATO brackets.  I haven't been able to find any type of walkaround and the high gloss has made it hard for me to see these brackets.  The picture below is the best I've found of this area and I think it shows the brackets...   

https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/fat-albert-blue-angels-c-130-hercules-gm458654971-19843178

But on many pictures such as below, the reflection is just too high for me to see much of anything...

https://www.stripes.com/news/blue-angels-call-on-okinawa-marine-to-pilot-fat-albert-1.421130

2 hours ago, HERC164 said:

The J model Fat Albert does not have the JATO brackets on the air deflector doors. As for the aircraft previous to the J model,  I assume your talking about the T models (H2 models for Air Force types), the last aircraft would not have them, since it was built in 1990's, earlier aircraft definitely did. The F models (B models) were built in the 57-62 time frame and all C-130's had them back then. There was a JATO delete that was around the late 2000's which replaced or had new panels for the air deflector doors.  Of course this all depends on the serial number, and Lockheed manufacturing number. Hope this helps and not confuse you more.

I think this helps for the most part.  I am not talking about the newest J model.  I'm looking to make the Fat Albert in service until about a year ago.  I am talking about the T...non-Air Force, or even Air Force for that matter, C-130 variants confuse me.  I had been thinking -F because a lot of the Marine KC-130's were that variant. 

My worry/uncertainty relates to the 2016 PDM Fat Albert had.  JATO was a big "show" for Fat Albert for a while, so I know at one point they were mounted.  As best as I can tell from fairly recent photos, it looks like she kept them all the way to the end.

Edited by ESzczesniak

2009 is the last year JATO was carried out. Fat Albert first performed a JATO take-off in 1975. The C-130 they retired in 2019 was the same Herc that last performed JATO in 2009.

Not only did it bend airframes, they ran out of bottles that year too. The bottles were last produced during the Vietnam War.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/blue-angels-fat-albert-retired/

I have a feeling all FAT ALBERTS had the JATO doors except for the latest J.

5 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

Yes, but Fat Albert hasn't done a JATO takeoff in years, there have been a few Fat Alberts, and the most recently retired had a major PDM.  And I'm not C-130 expert.  So 1) I'm not actually 100% sure these parts are the JATO brackets, and 2) I'm trying to be sure the Fat Albert in service until last year actually had the JATO brackets.  I haven't been able to find any type of walkaround and the high gloss has made it hard for me to see these brackets.  

I was only answering your question if they had the brackets installed. Which the answer is yes. See my latest reply in regards to the last year they did JATO.

And yes those parts are for the bottles. I’m an ex-Herc maintainer.

7 hours ago, HERC164 said:

The last aircraft did have them, it was the last FAT ALBERT that performed JATO.

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

I was only answering your question if they had the brackets installed. Which the answer is yes. See my latest reply in regards to the last year they did JATO.

And yes those parts are for the bottles. I’m an ex-Herc maintainer.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

...I’m an ex-Herc maintainer.

I'll walk away if I'm too much of a bother, but the intructions call for silver all the way down intake. This looks plausible in pictures, the silver appears to go at least a foot back or more.  Is this correct or would it be the white I'm thinking it would be normally for an intake?

25 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

I'll walk away if I'm too much of a bother, but the intructions call for silver all the way down intake. This looks plausible in pictures, the silver appears to go at least a foot back or more.  Is this correct or would it be the white I'm thinking it would be normally for an intake?

No trouble at all, happy to help. Definitely bare metal, it wasn’t painted.

4 minutes ago, Scooby said:

No trouble at all, happy to help. Definitely bare metal, it wasn’t painted.

Thank you!  I really appreciate the help!  I'll figure it all out eventually.  I've got 4 birds either here or on the way...Fat Albert, USCG, AC-130H, KC-130T.  I may either pick up a 5th for a USAF regular cargo bird or wait for the -J and build that one as a straight up USAF bird.

Edited by ESzczesniak
1 minute ago, ESzczesniak said:

Thank you!  I really appreciate the help!  I'll figure it all out eventually.  I've got 4 birds either here or on the way...Fat Albert, USCG, AC-130H, KC-130T.  I may either pick up a 5th for a USAF regular cargo bird or wait for the -J and build that one as a straight up USAF bird.

I have two in hand, waiting for the Eduard sets due for release in January and I’m also waiting for decals to be printed (I know who producing these decals but can’t say who or what).

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 8:50 PM, ESzczesniak said:

I am planning on the same thing, are you using the Caracal sheet for the decals? 

36 minutes ago, eraucubsfan said:

I am planning on the same thing, are you using the Caracal sheet for the decals? 

I am, but probably won’t be to decals and painting for a month or two. I’m a slow builder and my more active builds are a 1/144 B-1B and B-2A. 

27 minutes ago, Da SWO said:

I'm waiting on mine to come in.  How detailed is the interior?

As always, it'll all depend on who you are and what you're looking for, but I think it's more than sufficient.  I'm closing up the rear, so haven't paid as much attention back there.  It seems pretty complete, but won't be visible at all without the ramp down.  The seats are all folded, they don't seem to have an option for open seats.

The cockpit and crew entry are both on par for 1/72.  Instrument panels are decals.  There are no seatbelts, etc.  But there are all the appropriate bulkheads, etc.  It looks good once closed up, and will look even better through the cockpit glass.  I can try to take a picture of the cockpit later.  The fuselage is closed up, so I'll have to see what I can do with my macro photography skills through the cockpit windows.

• 4 weeks later...

@ESzczesniak Not sure if this helps about the JATO, but I found these pics

If you are using the Caracal decal sheet and doing 9806/174673(2002)  use the brackets 

BMdHVOjh.jpg

You can see them in this pic

As for  164763 photos are from 2006ish

3D5p8tPh.jpg

qIgAlI0h.jpg

If you are going to do 164763 in the 2012 scheme I wouldn't use them 

1IOUKCkh.jpg

wr70QMqh.jpg

ZL8UK2fh.jpg