Russian Mig-29 SMT LOADOUTS being used in syria

I've recently purchased the awesome trumpeter Mig-29SMT and I'm wanting to do a version currently deployed on ops in Syria.  Does anyone know what loadouts they are carrying for the ground attack missions?  I can only find a pic of one with a couple of FAB 500 on it.  One would assume they would be using Laser guided weapons?  If anyone can help me out that would be great.  Or if anyone knows of any pics floating around?

Are you talking about the MiG-29s that Russia sold to Syria earlier this year, or are you talking about Russian MiG-29SMT's, as per the title? As far as I know, there are currently no Russian MiG-29SMT's based in Syria. The type (and only four of them if I recall correctly) were only deployed briefly for a few months in 2017. There are very few photographs from that deployment besides the initial press photos and videos. As far as I know, Russia currently does not operate the MiG-29SMT with any front-line units anymore - 14 GIAP replaced theirs with Su-30SM's, and the rest are now all with training, test or development units.

There were of course that event with what appeared to be Russian or ex-Russian MiG-29s that traveled through Syria on their way to Libya, but those were not SMT's.

The Syrian Air Force received a batch of MiG-29s earlier this year and those are rumoured to be SMT's, but not much else is known about them.

1 hour ago, Mfezi said:

As far as I know, Russia currently does not operate the MiG-29SMT with any front-line units anymore - 14 GIAP replaced theirs with Su-30SM's, and the rest are now all with training, test or development units.

Don't they keep a unit of them deployed in Armenia?

40 minutes ago, ijozic said:

Don't they keep a unit of them deployed in Armenia?

A unit of MiG-29SMT's? Not that I'm aware of. I'm only aware of older MiG-29 9.13's, but it is possible that someone has more accurate or recent information?

1 hour ago, Mfezi said:

A unit of MiG-29SMT's? Not that I'm aware of. I'm only aware of older MiG-29 9.13's, but it is possible that someone has more accurate or recent information?

I remember they were planing to replace those with SMT's. A quick google search result:

https://www.facebook.com/145237522169457/posts/final-su-30sm-flankers-to-14-gviap-before-year-endin-april-2018-the-14th-guards-/2398754096817777/

4 minutes ago, ijozic said:

I've seen that before (that the 14 GIAP SMT's were meant to go to the unit based in Armenia), but I don't think I've ever seen a confirmation that the transfer happened. It would be interesting if someone had some additional insight, or even better, photographs showing SMT's in Armenia.

7 hours ago, Mfezi said:

Are you talking about the MiG-29s that Russia sold to Syria earlier this year, or are you talking about Russian MiG-29SMT's, as per the title? As far as I know, there are currently no Russian MiG-29SMT's based in Syria. The type (and only four of them if I recall correctly) were only deployed briefly for a few months in 2017. There are very few photographs from that deployment besides the initial press photos and videos. As far as I know, Russia currently does not operate the MiG-29SMT with any front-line units anymore - 14 GIAP replaced theirs with Su-30SM's, and the rest are now all with training, test or development units.

There were of course that event with what appeared to be Russian or ex-Russian MiG-29s that traveled through Syria on their way to Libya, but those were not SMT's.

The Syrian Air Force received a batch of MiG-29s earlier this year and those are rumoured to be SMT's, but not much else is known about them.

I’d be curious why they ditched the SMT, but keep older MiG-29 variants in front line service (other than the UB for training).

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I’d be curious why they ditched the SMT, but keep older MiG-29 variants in front line service (other than the UB for training).

They don't operate the older variants anymore in operational units either, IIRC. Those were withdrawn even before the SMTs.

Edited by ijozic
On 12/18/2020 at 10:21 PM, Modelkeenfan said:

But they must be operating mig29Ms and Ks?  Plus the mig-35?  But they now seem to rely on the sukhoi variants

They've bought some K's for the carrier (of which two crashed on a carrier deployment to Syria not so long ago), but no M's AFAIK. They keep announcing the intent to buy 35's, but so far they've only ordered half a dozen for evaluation, IIRC. The usual argument is that they're probably not that cheaper to procure and operate compared to more capable Su-30 variants (e.g. the SM) to make it worthwhile.

6 hours ago, pacheco said:

Pacheco, those videos from 2017 are what I referred to when I wrote above (quoting from my own post): "The type (and only four of them if I recall correctly) were only deployed briefly for a few months in 2017. There are very few photographs from that deployment besides the initial press photos and videos."

Just now, Modelkeenfan said:

Yes I've seen other photos of them in syria and they were carrying what looked like a pair of FAB 500s

I have seen the picture shown of Blue 23 in that configuration, which was part of the original hand-out to the press by the Russian MOD:

https://theaviationist.com/2017/09/13/russia-has-deployed-its-mig-29smt-multirole-combat-aircraft-to-syria-for-the-very-first-time/

The picture was taken at the  same time when the short take-off clip was made that appears at the beginning of the short video at the bottom of that article. The same MOD-supplied picture and stills from the same video appeared in many other articles at the time, like this one:

https://defence-blog.com/news/russia-deploys-improved-version-of-mig-29-fighter-aircraft-to-syria.html

Then there were pictures and video from when the MiG's returned to Astrakhan in December 2017, once again supplied by the Russian MOD. Those show the aircraft configured with additional wing fuel tanks and no other external stores.

I'd definitely be interested in the other photos that you refer to, as I have seen very few pictures of the SMT's during the deployment besides those official handouts mentioned above. I think I've seen a few lineup pictures and a clip or two of them landing, but those were all without any stores.

The dispensers are called UV-5-08. Seems they are only available in 1/72 and 1/48 from an outfit called A²

-squared: https://www.scalemates.com/de/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q=Mikoyan+MiG-29+Fulcrum+UV-5-08*

So for 1/32 you will have to scratch build them. They don't look too complicated shape wise so maybe that's an option for you.

Cheers

Markus

25 minutes ago, Modelkeenfan said:

Any idea if A-squared will put out a 1/32 set?  Does anyone know if it's possible to do a 3D copy of a 1/48 set into a 1/32 set?

I don't see anything on their Facebook page. You might drop them an email at asquaredaftermarket@gmail.com.