Canards on a Flanker

So Ive been commissioned to build a Flanker for the husband of one of my missues friends... which is no problem but I have no idea what version of the Flanker he flew.
All I know is from the photo I saw when I was at their place is it was a Flanker with canards.

Can you guys tell me what versions I might be looking at please?

IIt was Russian serving in the Russian military and it was blue. maybe camouflaged blue. Or maybe blue and white 

Edited by ElectroSoldier

Was it a single or twin seater?  If single, it would have to be an Su-33 if it had blue camo. 

If it was a two seater, it is likely an Su-30SM.  

What scale?  in 1/48 the choices are the Kinetic Su-33 or the upcoming Minibase Su-33, and Kitty Hawk just released the only Su-30SM in this scale.  In 1/72 I am not as familiar with the options, but I think Zvezda makes both an Su-33 and Su-30SM and Hasegawa also makes an Su-33.

Edited by Fighting Eighty-Four

Agree with Michael above, by the sound of it it is most likely Su-33. If it is - I highly recommend to wait for the new Minibase kit, trust me, it is gonna be good... In 1/72 Hasegawa is great but Zvezda's is probably better overall.

Maybe try to get pilots wife to get a spy picture of the picture so you can know for sure + maybe bort number is seen there etc (assuming it is of the exact aircraft he flew) Su-33's has had several different camo's so that would help narrow the colors down too etc.

If he really was a Su-33 pilot then that is very rare and special - there are far far more cosmonauts around than Su-33 pilots!

Edited by Berkut

The photo is in Russia, I am in England.

The best I can get is a phone call out of her, she doesnt do the internet. It is a single seat going by what she has said.

He doesnt fly them anymore, she wants to give him a model of what he used to fly for his birthday early next year.

Ill take a look at the Kinetic kit. Thanks guys. 

7 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

The photo is in Russia, I am in England.

The best I can get is a phone call out of her, she doesnt do the internet. It is a single seat going by what she has said.

He doesnt fly them anymore, she wants to give him a model of what he used to fly for his birthday early next year.

Ill take a look at the Kinetic kit. Thanks guys. 

It sounds definitely like the Su-33 as that's a single seater. 

57 minutes ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

In that case, to help build the specific airframe he flew, you could ask for the BORT # in the picture and timeframe that he flew, as that would give a pretty good idea of which camo scheme to use as well as the unit markings on tail.

Im not sure when it was... I guess we'll hear from her over Christmas, or more likely New Year as that is really when we have celebrations but I know he flew quite a while ago now.

I just looked on wikipedia and that does seem to be the one, the colours are the same at any rate... I didnt realise it was quite so old nor that they have so few of them.

Uhm.... difficult to build a model of what he flew without a photo... not only to identify the model, but also the bort number!

Anyway.... was he an air force or a navy pilot? Because the Su-33 was only used by the navy. The other Flankers with canards are probably not blue...

8 hours ago, Yuri said:

Uhm.... difficult to build a model of what he flew without a photo... not only to identify the model, but also the bort number!

Anyway.... was he an air force or a navy pilot? Because the Su-33 was only used by the navy. The other Flankers with canards are probably not blue...

I could go into detail but I dont think I should. As I would not like to be not 100% correct 

Edited by ElectroSoldier