Hi guys!

Hope everyone is doing well and safe!

My next project is to make an F-16 ADF and I've got some doubts regarding these birds:

1.- How much different is the cockpit from a regular F-16A model.

2.- These planes carried the reinforcement plates in the fuselage? According to the photos I have seen, apparently not.

3.- I want to arm it fully loaded, with 2 AIM-7, 2 AIM-120 and 2 AIM-9. Is this a feasable loadout for a mid 90's bird?

4.- What version of the AIM-7 and AIM-120 where using at that time?

5.- The pylon used for the AIM-7 is the standard one use in the F-16?

Sorry for all these questions but I'm a little confused regarding the use of this aircrafts. I read that they were retired by the mid 90's, but I found photos of 2004 with this birds still in active service.

In fact, this is the aircraft I'm doing (from what I can see, it seems that this photo is from the early 2000's):

Thanks for the help!!

Regards,

Tato

F-16 ADF Full Loadout.jpg

The ADFs were so cool.  

1) Very similar, but the ADF had a few items not found on standard A-models, such as HF radio.  There are panels present inside the cockpit for these systems.

2) They had the Falcon STAR plating over the fuel cells and many had additional plates aft of the cockpit.

3) Accurate load, in theory, but seldom actually carried.  AIM-120 didn't come around to the ADF community until 92 or so.

4) Depends on the era.  If you're looking for that Hooligans' jet, it would be AIM-120A and AIM-7M.

5) No.  It's unique to the ADF specifically for the AIM-7.

The Hooligans were the final ADF-operator, retiring their jets in 2007.  However, many individual ADFs soldiered on with Tucson as 'vanilla' A-models for training since they were relatively low time airframes.

For further info, this book may be of help.  It covers the ADF Vipers.

https://www.reidairpublishing.com/books/the-early-viper-guide-the-f-16ab-exposed

Jake

It's beyond the scope of what you're asking about, but I find it interesting that the Italian Air Force flew F-16ADF's on hundreds of combat missions in Libya 2011.  I read an article about them a while back; they were dedicated air-to-air and and loaded with, I think, 4 x AIM-120 and 2 x AIM-9.  I love seeing old fighters get new life, especially Guard birds.

On 12/18/2020 at 1:31 PM, jmel said:

The ADFs were so cool.  

1) Very similar, but the ADF had a few items not found on standard A-models, such as HF radio.  There are panels present inside the cockpit for these systems.

2) They had the Falcon STAR plating over the fuel cells and many had additional plates aft of the cockpit.

3) Accurate load, in theory, but seldom actually carried.  AIM-120 didn't come around to the ADF community until 92 or so.

4) Depends on the era.  If you're looking for that Hooligans' jet, it would be AIM-120A and AIM-7M.

5) No.  It's unique to the ADF specifically for the AIM-7.

The Hooligans were the final ADF-operator, retiring their jets in 2007.  However, many individual ADFs soldiered on with Tucson as 'vanilla' A-models for training since they were relatively low time airframes.

For further info, this book may be of help.  It covers the ADF Vipers.

https://www.reidairpublishing.com/books/the-early-viper-guide-the-f-16ab-exposed

Jake

Hi Jake, 

Thanks for your very complete answers to my questions. They clarify things a lot! I was hoping you would chime in!.

I did buy the book, but still on it it's way! Hope to receive it soon. Looks amazing!

On 12/18/2020 at 2:26 PM, Da SWO said:

F-16.net is a good source of data.

Hi Da SWO,

Thanks for your answers. I was using that page to gather info, in fact, the photo is from that page.

On 12/19/2020 at 12:27 AM, habu2 said:

You can find the AIM-7 specific pylon in the Revell 1/48 ADF kit. 

Hi habu2,

That's my idea. I'm using the specific ADF parts on a Hasegawa F-16A. In fact, I'm thinking on building both at the same time, using the Revell kit to build a regular A model, in order to give this kit a chance to be build and not finish as a donor of parts!.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Regards,

Tato

On 12/18/2020 at 12:14 PM, Guard Hog said:

It's beyond the scope of what you're asking about, but I find it interesting that the Italian Air Force flew F-16ADF's on hundreds of combat missions in Libya 2011.  I read an article about them a while back; they were dedicated air-to-air and and loaded with, I think, 4 x AIM-120 and 2 x AIM-9.  I love seeing old fighters get new life, especially Guard birds.

I totally forgot about the Italian jets, Tom.  Those were all ex-ANG Vipers repurposed after sitting at AMARC for many years, and flying combat 10+ years later.  How cool is that?

Sadly, most of them have now been re-re-purposed into QF-16s.  Maybe they'll send you down to Tyndall for a Combat Archer one of these days.  🙂

2 hours ago, Tato said:

Hi Jake, 

Thanks for your very complete answers to my questions. They clarify things a lot! I was hoping you would chime in!.

You are very welcome!  Let me know if i can be of any further help!

Jake

4 hours ago, jmel said:

I totally forgot about the Italian jets, Tom.  Those were all ex-ANG Vipers repurposed after sitting at AMARC for many years, and flying combat 10+ years later.  How cool is that?

Sadly, most of them have now been re-re-purposed into QF-16s.  Maybe they'll send you down to Tyndall for a Combat Archer one of these days.  🙂

No thanks... not sure I could pull the trigger against an old bird that served her country so well. 

On 12/21/2020 at 5:54 PM, jmel said:

Remember that AMI F-16ADF like most of the upgraded F-16A do have C style gun vents, also check MLG wheels and spine panels for other sneaky changes

Luigi

On 12/22/2020 at 3:20 AM, Niels said:

There is a photo over on F-16.net of F-16A ADF 81-0665 dated October 29, 2001 showing her flying with AIM-7M's, AIM-120B on wingtips and AIM-9M's. Unit was 119FW 178FS. All the missiles are live

http://www.f-16.net/g3/f-16-photos/album38/album68/81-0665

Hi Niels,

Indeed, that's a great photo. Apart from the interesting loadout it shows some other details, like the reinforcement plates in the wing. A detail to keep in mind when I start this build.

Thanks for the photo!

1 hour ago, fintajoe said:

Hello Folks,

The Kinetic's first 1/48 F/A-18C kit (48031) also include 2 sprues with F-16 ADF pylons with Sparrows)

Zoltán

Hi Zoltán,

Didn't know that, good to know.

Thanks.

Tato