Eduard warehouse on fire...developing

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

WHAT ELSE WILL 2020 BRING??????????????????????

oh jeez, don’t tempt fate, we still have almost two weeks left!

I’m glad no one was hurt.  Hoping they can stage a quick recovery!

Wow...thanks for the info Steve.  And you couldn't be more right...2020 is a year we just need to write off.  As so many have already written on the Facebook page, the most important thing, without question, is that no one was injured.  However, that doesn't take away that this is terrible for Eduard.  I wish them nothing but the best!

Here is an account of what happened from Eduar CEO Mr. Sulc.  Sorry but this is a google translation from original Czech language so some parts are not 100%. The original is here:

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95280&start=29805

So here is what Mr. Sulc had to say:

Gentlemen, good evening.

Thank you for your participation and sympathy. We appreciate them very much!

The fire broke out in the morning on the second floor of the building, in the molding of moldings. The reason is still unknown, it is probable that there is a fault in the electrical installation. Nothing of our people happened, at the time the fire broke out, no one was in the area of the fire from us. Our people were taking an inventory of the moldings there, the fire broke out when they left for a snack. There were still maintenance workers working on the elevator in the room, it seems that just one of them was inhaling smoke and being taken to the hospital, so he was the person mentioned in the reports.

The fire destroyed just over one million moldings for about 200,000 models. Furthermore, a three-month supply of shipping boxes, such large, parcel, various sizes, burned down. The delivery arrived last week.

Fortunately, the firefighters managed to locate the fire in this upper hall, so that it did not reach the second part of the building, the newer extension, separated by the wall of the original building and connected to the affected area by two staircases and connecting corridors. Thanks to this, other components for model packaging, instructions, boxes, decals, etchings, masks, etc. have been saved so far. The packaging plant is not damaged either, but we will definitely have to leave it.

In this part of the building, shipments are also prepared for some Czech merchants (MNM, Artur, Pecka, etc.). These are also undamaged. The question now is how do we manage to get them out of space and send them. They'll probably get a crane through the window.

The dispatch warehouse and sales department are upstairs under the fire area. Surprisingly, there is not much damage there yet, there is surprisingly little water that flowed from the upper floor up the stairs and in the area of the columns of the hall. There are stored things wet, but on a small scale. If we manage to get the goods out and move, I assume that we will be able to save about 80%. Of course, we need to quickly find other suitable storage and shipping facilities.

Unfortunately, there is a risk of the roof of the building collapsing, where the reinforcing elements of the reinforced concrete structure were obviously damaged. We will see how the structure will behave during its cooling and whether the internal stress does not tear it. And if so, whether the ruins of the roof will fall only within the 2nd floor, or whether it will break through the ceiling of the 1st floor. I hope it doesn't happen. Keep your fingers crossed for the barracks! The building is from the beginning of the 20th century, it is obviously robust and structurally oversized. Perhaps it will resist. The intervention commander said that if this burned in a modern industrial building, it would burn to the ground.

Thanks to Pep Choreň and the commander of the intervention, that they took me to the building after the fire was extinguished, and that I was able to find out the current state thanks to them. I have to say that it calmed me immensely, really immensely, and lifted my spirits. All day long, we shuddered to keep the fire from penetrating the back, the model components.

If we could not save the warehouse from the damaged building, we would temporarily open a sales department in Obrnice. In January, we would sell the January news, to which we would gradually add more items as we renewed and put them back on sale. Then we would move to new premises.

We will have the biggest problem with topping up the models, because we will have to completely restore the stock of moldings. That will be a great deal of work. We will go for it from the latest production and we will press from the news against the flow of time, gradually older and older items. Unfortunately, the purchased moldings are gone forever, so dolphins, for example, will not be there unless they make a new purchase. The same is the Tornado, which unfortunately will no longer be with posters, or the Bf 108 in 1/32. However, there are moldings in Prague, which can be added relatively easily.

Special Hobby will also be involved in completing our moldings. In SH, it has been pressing for us for a long time.

Thanks again for the ideas for our support. We all appreciate them very much in Eduard, really. There is not much you can do for us at this time.

From this it is clear that the biggest damage was with so to say "raw" plastic sprues waiting for packaging and of course all those sprues from other manufacturers which are part of re-box projects. They are a complete loss unfortunately.

Wish the best to Eduard team and hope that 2021 will bring a brand new start and not only for Eduard but everyone!!!!!!!!  I had enough of 2020!!!

Best regards

Gabor

A bit of update today on what is happening:

Dear friends, thank you again for your messages and support!
Yesterday we completed the reconnaissance of our premises and prepared for today's evacuation of undamaged goods from the warehouse. It still looks like it will be possible to save about 80%. The rest remains in the warehouse and will get new boxes in packaging compartment. The evacuated goods will be moved to a nearby hall, where they will wait until new space is available for the temporary location of the sales department. We have several offers, they will be evaluated on Wednesday. I assume that preparations for the move will begin immediately on December 28, and perhaps the move to selected areas will begin in the last week of the year. My plan is to start selling no later than January 15th.
The department providing packaging, including stored components, is intact and ready for action. In this part of building we found also moldings for the Tornado, which I originally mistakenly declared destroyed. So there will be a Tornado with pin up posters.
The January INFO will be released on Tuesday, January 5. I have to rework the editorial a bit, but I'll make it.
Happy Modelling!
Vladimir Sulc,
CEO, Eduard – Model Accessories