Cracked Stynylrez

Has anyone had Stynylrez crack? I used white Stynylrez for the first time today, and was really excited after all the positive reviews, but it cracked all over and I can't figure out why.

I shook it a ton, put it straight into my gravity feed Iwata, sprayed at 25psi, indoors at about 65F, and it went down ok, but then cracked as it dried.  I tried thin and thick layers and was painting 2 brands of plastics and it happened on every combination. It was an Academy 1/72 P-51 and Tamiya 1/24 911GT1. After a bit of chemicals and scrubbing, I'm back to zero, but pretty frustrated with the primer....

Any ideas??

Thanks!!

Thanks, I have a bottle of black too, so I'll give that a try this week and see if I get a better result.  On a whim after letting it dry for a few days I tried some blue painter's tape on some small areas that didn't crack and, unsurprisingly, the primer came right off.

What other kinds of issues did you have with your bad bottle? Just trying to figure out if I can confirm it's the bottle and not operator error...

The primer looked like it started seperating as I was spraying. I cleaned the model thoroughly, so I know it wasn't a contamination issue. Also shook the bottle very well.

Edited by caudleryan

Interesting - my reaction was different (the bottom one was tested with blue painter's tape):

Nq9IqCd.jpg

I tried the bottle of black tonight and did not have any cracking - same room, same airbrush, same pressure, same everything, so I guess there was something up with the white....

I will also echo what everyone else says about cleanup - the stuff is a nightmare - I had to completely strip my airbrush because so much Stynylrez had built up at the nozzle that the needle wouldn't go all the way forward. My double action was working like a single action.  I ended up putting the nozzle in Castrol Super Clean to dissolve the paint out of it. I'm sure a bigger nozzle would help, but overall I'm pretty disappointed.  The black didn't smooth out very well- it was quite orange-peely - and once tip-dry starts happening you're hosed.

On 12/23/2020 at 11:26 PM, Nate said:

I'm sure a bigger nozzle would help, but overall I'm pretty disappointed.  The black didn't smooth out very well- it was quite orange-peely .

I had the same issue with a bottle of black Ammo One Shot Primer, which is basically the same stuff under a different label.  The finish wasn't smooth at all, even when sprayed through a 0.7mm nozzle.  Needless to say, I already tossed that bottle into my trash bin.