USAF approves helmet art

Pretty cool (and long overdue) move by the AF brass.    Article mentions that if necessary due to flying in a combat zone, the wrapping over the helmet can easily be peeled off.   Instead of this, I wonder why the AF can't just do what the Marines are doing and just use a camouflage cloth cover over their helmets (unless that won't work with the helmet-mounted sights everyone is using these days)?   

Will need some aftermarket decal folks to step up here.  

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/38402/fighter-pilots-are-taking-full-advantage-of-the-air-forces-lifted-ban-on-custom-helmet-art

Hmm, that ownership thing is news to me, but then I've never been in the Air Force,

“The issue is that the fighter squadron doesn’t technically own our flight gear. We — the aircrew— don't own our helmets. While they are custom fitted to us and you are pretty much tied to that helmet, it’s not technically yours. The biggest hurdle was making sure the proposed wraps didn't somehow damage the helmet. In fact it’s quite the reverse, it actually helps to protect it.”

16 hours ago, southwestforests said:

Hmm, that ownership thing is news to me, but then I've never been in the Air Force,

Yeah, you don't own the gear...however, on my last flight, the paraloft guys came out, took my vest from me, removed all the pyro (flares/markers) and handed it back to me.
My beat up helmet and vest hang in my hobbyroom.

In Navy squadrons, having a guy in the PR shop with some artistic ability was a plus.