Personal modeling rules or habits

Hello there,

Wondering if you all have any personal modeling rules or habits you swear by? For me, before I enter my modeling/hobby room, I got to wash my hands. In the past I've b!tched up to many paint jobs from having not clean hands. Could be grease or oil from food and snacks, thinner or other solvents from cleaning my airbrush. I've been practicing this for over 20 years now and its one less thing to deal with. I have others but this on stands out for me. I'm curious if you all have any modeling habits?

Steven

1 hour ago, 82Whitey51 said:

One at a time. I try and stick to one model being built at a time, if I have a bunch kicking around in various stages...one or the other is going to get rushed.

This, absolutely this. It seems quite a rare approach, but I credit it with me actually finishing stuff.

Also, I do force myself quite often to model when I don't feel like it. It's like exercise: there's an activation energy to overcome, but the results are worth the effort and discipline for me.

Jon

1 hour ago, Cool Hand said:

As a wise man once told me, "Falling knives don't have handles."

I'm certainly not going to be the one to argue with him!

😆

As a result of that event I deliberately developed the reflex of lifting my hands when I drop knives.

And thanks to some neurological and musculoskeletal troubles I WILL drop knives occasionally.

And other things too.

On 12/25/2020 at 3:09 AM, Collin said:

In addition to what Andy said above, my amendment to that is to walk away from the bench if frustration arises and to cool off, come back later and try again. 

Cheers 

Collin

Absolutely!!!  If there is one thing I could pass on to my fellow modelers, it would be this!  I am not 100% perfect in implementing this philosophy, but I should be, because there is no doubt it helps to work through frustration and anger.  When I find myself getting mad over a model, it's time to walk away.  After all, this is one of my FUN pursuits...which is why I never picked up golf.  I figure I don't need to pay someone or someplace to get P****d off! 😊   Models are SUPPOSED to be pure enjoyment.  I really, really want to keep it that way!

5 hours ago, cruiz said:

Never glue a part that I need to keep in place by applying pressure with my hands while the glue dries...... sometimes I broke it and always pay the price.

Hmmm, this is an interesting one.  I know I could not build a model without resorting to this technique.  Oftentimes, in a less than perfect fitting kit, pressure on parts while drying is the only way to join them. 

8 hours ago, Bangem82 said:

I try to play music that was popular at the timeframe of the subject I’m building. 

I like this one, though I'm not sure, for me, being a hard rocker, that I could listen to as much Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller as it would take to complete all my WWII airplanes 😊

7 hours ago, Curt B said:

I like this one, though I'm not sure, for me, being a hard rocker, that I could listen to as much Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller as it would take to complete all my WWII airplanes 😊

No Who, Metal or Punk rock as the build would end up smashed.
Also NO SEX in the model room!

At the end of a session I clean off my work surface and put everything like tools, paint and model bits in their respective places. I also try to keep the work area tidy instead of having stuff scattered about. Another thing I’m conscious of is quality. If I can see a flaw, so can the next guy. 

Mine would be, to not tempt fate, and walk away from the paint booth before I put that...just one more light coat of paint.....dang runs...

So I try and remind myself, easy on the paint, let it dry, come back tomorrow.....the model will still be here....

I avoid looking at any other builds of the same plane I'm working on.  In the past I spent more time comparing my build to someone else's than I did working on mine.  It led to me feeling mine was never good enough.  Now I build my model for me, the way I want it.  My skills have gotten better n I'm generally happy with my builds but I still don't look at any one else's until I'm done