Jump to content

Personal modeling rules or habits


Recommended Posts

I have to have noise, I usually have The Simpsons playing on a near by TV.  I have seen the episodes so many times I don't need to pay attention, but it provides noise and does keep me laughing and helps me concentrate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2020 at 2:37 PM, SinisterVampire319 said:

No Who, Metal or Punk rock as the build would end up smashed.
Also NO SEX in the model room!

 

 

LMAO, I brake all of your rules.  My "model room" is actually a workbench set up in our living room (1 bed room apt), so your second rule is regularly broken, but not near the workbench!  As for your first rule, I've done some of my best work while listening to Meshuggah. I don't know why, but extreme metal just calms me down.

 

OP, I'm like Howard Hughes with washing my hands, so that's a thing, but it's a thing with literally everything I do, so I'm not counting it as a point for myself. 

 

My rules are (in no particular order): 

-No food on the workbench.

-NO FOOD ON THE WORKBENCH! 

-Keep it neat, organized and clean. 

-DONT RUSH IT!  Patience is your friend.  It's not a race! 

-Don't force yourself to do... anything.  It's supposed to be fun before anything else. 

-.... and most of what others have already said. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting responses. I think my only rule is NO music. I can't go 10 minutes before I'm inspired to pick up an instrument and play something or play along.

 

 My background noise of choice is Turner Classic Movies or a well worn DVD. I don't find either distracting. Even documentaries catch my attention and take me away from the bench.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to sit down and stare blankly at my desk for a solid ten minutes wondering why I don't finish any models. Then I remember I just stared blankly at my desk for ten minutes!😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

This one is from working on my current project, mask more than you think is needed. Sucks having to go back and fix over spray.

 

Stay safe and keep busy,

Steven

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2021 at 11:36 AM, FAR148 said:

This one is from working on my current project, mask more than you think is needed. Sucks having to go back and fix over spray.

 

Stay safe and keep busy,

Steven

 

 

 

 

Yup. I'm still amazed at the people who can do one line of tape, airbrush with seemingly no regard for overspray, background, or "point of aim, point of impact" but I'm not one of them. I "over mask" everything. and I'm a pretty good masker, but I've never had a "perfect" large scale paint job. I always expect to have to do some clean/touch up.

 

Well its tradition! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Geoff M said:

Very simple for me.  Finish what I am working on before I start something new. 

 

Wait - you can do that ???   :rofl:

Link to post
Share on other sites

My first modeling rule: do not talk about modeling rules 🙂

 

Jokes apart, I model when I want... or better, when I need to. It's not another job, so I'm not forcing myself to go on if I'm not in the mood...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2021 at 5:04 PM, BaconRaygun said:

 

 

OP, I'm like Howard Hughes with washing my hands, so that's a thing, but it's a thing with literally everything I do, so I'm not counting it as a point for myself. 

 

 

 

Me too. I always have the habit of touching my face, eyes and so on quite often during the day, so when I'm building or painting something I wash my hand wery often

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

I try not to rush, and will walk away if I get frustrated.

My current projects are on weather hold because I can't get to my LHS or Hobby Lobby.

I also try to get all the aftermarket pieces before construction starts.

Some good advice being posted here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2020 at 6:34 AM, airmechaja said:

All the above are sage advice. Also, no beer drinking during workbench time! :jaw-dropping:

 

I concur - NO BEER! I prefer Cap'n Morgan and Vernor's.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The one habit I can't break is that I use a fairly unsuted type of knife. When I started to build again years ago I bought some simple supplys. Amongst them was one of those cheap snap off cutters with the wibbly wobbly blades. I use that to this day. I tried to switch to something professional like an Xacto or a scalpell, but I just don't get along with them. I recently realized that the reason for this is that good knifes are to stable. The blades don't move in relation to the grip and I realized I that I use my thumb and index finger to manipulate the wobbly blade. I wasn't even aware of that. Well, if it works, why fix it 🙃

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shadrik said:

The one habit I can't break is that I use a fairly unsuted type of knife. When I started to build again years ago I bought some simple supplys. Amongst them was one of those cheap snap off cutters with the wibbly wobbly blades. I use that to this day. I tried to switch to something professional like an Xacto or a scalpell, but I just don't get along with them. I recently realized that the reason for this is that good knifes are to stable. The blades don't move in relation to the grip and I realized I that I use my thumb and index finger to manipulate the wobbly blade. I wasn't even aware of that. Well, if it works, why fix it 🙃

 

I never never never use a snap off blade, because a 30 years old, one inch long scar in my middle finger reminds me that these blades can indeed snap off when you don't want them to...

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my modeling rules: Don't sweat the small stuff. If I find that my quest for accuracy results in a standstill of a build, I make an educated guess and proceed. As I get older I find that completing models is more important than building 100 percent accurate models.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Yuri said:

 

I never never never use a snap off blade, because a 30 years old, one inch long scar in my middle finger reminds me that these blades can indeed snap off when you don't want them to...

 

Thanks - I just went 150% pucker. (That's an "inverted" pucker.....) 😆

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang, if I had to follow some the rules or habits listed, I couldn’t work on builds! LOL!

 

The only rule I have (and not always successful at) is to put things away after their use or put them away prior to starting the next build session. 
 

Forgot to add, I always have a beer or cocktail and listen to classic rock when working on builds. 

Edited by Ichitoe
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...